Etiquette British Isles

Hi. When I travel I always try to be aware how I am presenting myself. I don’t want to be seen as an “ugly american”. DH & I and doing an 8 day cruise around the British Isles, with stops in Dublin, Gurnsey, Edinburgh and Milford Haven, Wales. I would appreciate any tips on proper good manners. Thanks in advance :D

Our experience after three weeks in the U.K. in June including a British Isles Cruise is that they love Americans. I’m friendly and outgoing, and greet everyone with a smile and thank you for anything provided.

I decided before the trip to stay away from any political discussions but everyone we met wanted to ask about politics in the US!

Ps, glad we aren’t in London or Edinburgh today!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi. When I travel I always try to be aware how I am presenting myself. I don’t want to be seen as an “ugly american”. DH & I and doing an 8 day cruise around the British Isles, with stops in Dublin, Gurnsey, Edinburgh and Milford Haven, Wales. I would appreciate any tips on proper good manners. Thanks in advance :D

Very kind of you to post. As sunsetbeachgal says, we love Americans. If you have any questions about Guernsey, feel free to post and I will try to answer. There is so much to see and do, please come ashore and explore, but best to have your tour plans sorted before you arrive. If you don’t wish to take a ships excursion, there are so many things other more reasonably priced alternatives.

We had a US citizen in high office visit us recently and my advise would be just show good manners and respect to people you meet, unlike him and you'll be fine :').

Seriously, we Brits like queues, so don't push in and as long as you say please, thank you and good morning with a smile you can't really go wrong

We love(?) to talk about the weather, so if all else fails, just say "Isn't it hot/cold/wet/windy?" and you will start a 2 hour conversation!!;)

Simon

Sounds like us New Englanders. :)

Don't walk in front of the Queen.

As previously mentioned, good manners are the same the world over! We love a queue & a chat about the weather too.

I note your cruise stops in Edinburgh, Dublin & Milford Haven - just make sure you don't refer to these places as "England" or "English" as the Scottish, Irish & the Welsh generally hate being called English! If it all gets too confusing a generic "you guys" would suffice :)

Although the UK seems pretty small in comparison to the US, it's actually quite big & we don't all know each other. American visitors always seem to ask, "hey I once met a guy from <insert name of UK town>, do you know him?" Generally no, we don't!

Have a fabulous time!

Although the UK seems pretty small in comparison to the US, it's actually quite big & we don't all know each other. American visitors always seem to ask, "hey I once met a guy from <insert name of UK town>, do you know him?" Generally no, we don't!

Have a fabulous time!

A bit off topic, but I had an experience in Israel. I met someone, and they found out that I was Canadian. They asked "Do you know my relatives in Vancouver?" How do you explain to someone that lives in a tiny country that Vancouver is 6,000 km away?! Then they gave the name, and not only did I know them (they were clients of my late father's) but I had actually stayed with them once.

Hi,

Titbits (as they are known over here, instead of prudish America :-) )

Don't be loud, it gets Brits back up.

Remember that the culture is different to America, so don't say things like "In America we do it this way"

There is a line which runs just south of the midlands that if you start a conversation with anyone above it the conversation will continue but if south of it you will get strange looks.

Crossing roads - as it has been said, we drive on the correct side of the road so look the other way. there is the urban myth about a young American lad about to cross the road into oncoming traffic and the guy stood next to him saw what was about to happen and grabbed him before he stepped off the kerb, the young lad went ape**** until he realised that he life had just been saved.

Take this with humour (please note the correct spelling) as most Brits will try and wind you up once they know you are from the other side of the pond.

Very kind of you to post. As sunsetbeachgal says, we love Americans. If you have any questions about Guernsey, feel free to post and I will try to answer. There is so much to see and do, please come ashore and explore, but best to have your tour plans sorted before you arrive. If you don’t wish to take a ships excursion, there are so many things other more reasonably priced alternatives.

Our port stop is scheduled for August 3, 2018 from 8:00 to 3:00. This trip I am not interested in a "war remembrance tour". I was thinking that I would simply hit a store that sold champagne if I don't have the opportunity in Dover.

We have never been to Guernsey so what do you suggest?

Many thanks in advance,

Lori

Our port stop is scheduled for August 3, 2018 from 8:00 to 3:00. This trip I am not interested in a "war remembrance tour". I was thinking that I would simply hit a store that sold champagne if I don't have the opportunity in Dover.

Many thanks in advance,

Lori

I would definitely recommend the Little Chapel. There is also a gin making place, and separately a cider place to tour. You could also do a general island drive? What other interests do you have?

Sis and I cruised there in 2015. The people were very friendly and welcoming. Sis is not a city kind of gal, but ended up loving London, as did I.

One of my favorite memories is taking a train from Glasgow to Edinburg. We sat with a young man from Yorkshire. We talked on and on. He was so much fun and I think he enjoyed our company, too.

We loved the whole trip so much we are doing it again next June. Just be your friendly self and you will have no problem at all.

And, stand on the right, walk on the left.

Many thanks in advance,

Lori

Which ship are you on, I can’t see anything listed on our harbour website for 3 August 2018?

No we don't know everyone else, but a couple of comments made me want to add an 'it's a small world after all', if I may...

On that other travel forum related to this one, we have pub meets occasionally in London. I hardly ever get to them. On this one occasion, I decided to go; got chatting to an Israeli couple, so I asked whereabouts they came from as my brother lives in Israel. Haifa. Oh, that's where my brother lives. 'I work at the university there'. So does my brother. [pause] 'You're not (my brother)'s sister, are you?' Yes!! So it can happen.

Oh, and decades ago my Aunt & Uncle went to Australia as their son was living there. They got chatting to an ex-pat who invited them back for dinner with them and their neighbours... The neighbours also were ex-pats from England, and were in fact my parents' ex-next door neighbours!

Many thanks in advance,

Lori

Guernsey has so much to offer. What interests you?

Old churches? Guernsey has plenty, besides the Little Chapel

Scenic cliff walks?

Shopping (with nary a t-shirt/tourist shop to be seen)?

Beaches?

Castle Tour? Steps from the pier

I wish I could find a taxi driver to just drive us around the island and tell local stories about what we’re seeing.

I wish I could find a taxi driver to just drive us around the island and tell local stories about what we’re seeing.

You could pick up a taxi at the pier, however the knowledge of the driver is not guaranteed. You are best to have a small group, have a large car plus a guide to take you around. There are many attractions to see, some free, some have a small entrance fee. If you are comfortable driving on small roads, you could rent a car, and then hire a guide, this way you would not get lost, you could hear the stories, visit places, and would be cheaper than paying for a driver. I would only recommend this if you are used to driving on the left and small roads though.

Accredited guides can be found on http://www.guernseyguidedtours.com.

Edited by Guernseycruiser