Bar Service on Liberty Not the Greatest--Are drink packages to blame?

Tenderpaw

Hi,

We just got off the Liberty. We aren't huge drinkers and did NOT buy a package and usually we have 1-2 drinks per day in the evening that we just pay a la carte. On several occasions in 3 different bars, there was no one to take our order unless we went to the actual bar to order directly from the bartender. I have never experienced this before. In one bar, I was told i was "impatient" for not waiting. Is this a common thing now, or just my isolated experience?

Dave

I have noticed a steady change for the worse in that direction. In the last four years we have done three Oasis class trips all with drink packages. The lack of bartenders was seriously evident in October on Oasis. My guess is the slower the service the more profit from drink packages.

I noticed a few years ago that bar service started to decline. It was right about the time that drink packages started to appear. I’m sure it is just a coincidence. I can’t remember the last time I saw a server with a tray full of after dinner shooters.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was told they also went to tip share when you write the tip in, that’s why they may not all try and help. I was also on Liberty recently and we found a bartender or waiter tipped cash or slip and the served us great.

Most of the alcohol & gratuity is purchased ahead of time from the drink packages sales.

There is not a lot of incentive to overstaff the bartenders & waitstaff.

However, I have never had any issues getting drinks anywhere on the ships....

Just got off Allure, nov 26th sailing, service was absolutely terrible and understaffed!! On the contrary, sailed liberty last year and service was excellent. Freedom, president cruise, few months ago, service was alright. So agreed, service on bars has gone downhill, i made sure to point it out on post cruise survey

The question is, are we able to withdraw the prepaid gratuities on drinks package if we’re not satsfied with the service?

Last two cruises on Anthem we had amazing bar service. Never saw the bars understaffed and actually found that the roaming bar servers had very little to do. I can see how Royal would want to make it less convenient to get a drink due to the packages, but not the servers...the more drinks they serve, the more they make in tips.

but not the servers...the more drinks they serve, the more they make in tips.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of additional tippers between a-la-carte buyers and package buyers. If a cruise is package(or a-la-carte) heavy, and they generally don't tip additional, I don't see why servers would bust their humps.

I'd be curious to see a breakdown of additional tippers between a-la-carte buyers and package buyers. If a cruise is package(or a-la-carte) heavy, and they generally don't tip additional, I don't see why servers would bust their humps.

I don't believe bartenders make a very large salary on Royal and make the bulk of their money on tips. I doubt that Royal is giving them a cut of the package, but they do get an 18% on every drink they server (plus extras)

I don't believe bartenders make a very large salary on Royal and make the bulk of their money on tips. I doubt that Royal is giving them a cut of the package, but they do get an 18% on every drink they server (plus extras)

I don't think its based on "drinks served" but rather "drinks purchased," and the package includes the 18%. So a server has no real incentive to work hard to serve package users unless they're tipping additional. In fact, once a cruiser hits the "break even point," unless they tip additional, the server is basically losing money.

I've been told by bar management that the bar staff all get a cut of the pool created by the 18% on drink packages, and it's not dependent on drinks served.

IMO, Royal and Celebrity have both reduced number of bar staff since going to drink packages. It used to be (back in the olden days😉) an almost constant stream of waiters looking for customers around the pool deck, in the theater before the show, and in the MDR each night, almost to the point of annoyance at times. Now it seems like you might see one or two around the pool or in the theater but rare to see even one in the MDR.

We’ve pretty much just given up on ordering from a waiter at any venue. And, before someone says we’d get better service if we would tip extra, we do tip extra in cash:D

Sherri:)

I don't think its based on "drinks served" but rather "drinks purchased," and the package includes the 18%. So a server has no real incentive to work hard to serve package users unless they're tipping additional. In fact, once a cruiser hits the "break even point," unless they tip additional, the server is basically losing money.

I guess I'm confused as to what you mean by "drinks purchased"? Are you saying bartenders don't received the 18% auto gratuity shown on the receipt and only a percentage of the 18% included on the pre-paid drink package (for package drinkers)?

I guess I'm confused as to what you mean by "drinks purchased"? Are you saying bartenders don't received the 18% auto gratuity shown on the receipt and only a percentage of the 18% included on the pre-paid drink package (for package drinkers)?

They receive a cut of the 18% charged on drink packages. That cut is not dependent on how many drink package drinks they serve.

What I'm saying is that the bartender is getting the 18% whether its on a single drink or on a package. If someone is buying a la carte, it makes sense to serve them repeatedly as each drink carries the 18%. However, if someone has the package, that 18% is already baked in, so the server doesn't get anything additional (excepting additional tips) whether they serve that person 1 drink or 15 drinks.

What I'm saying is that the bartender is getting the 18% whether its on a single drink or on a package. If someone is buying a la carte, it makes sense to serve them repeatedly as each drink carries the 18%. However, if someone has the package, that 18% is already baked in, so the server doesn't get anything additional (excepting additional tips) whether they serve that person 1 drink or 15 drinks.

So...I purchase the drink package for lets say $500 + 18% gratuity - ($90). I order 1 drink over the duration of the cruise and the bartenders split $90 (tip pool), or I order 500 drinks over the entire cruise and they still split $90? I have a hard time believing this to be true, but I'll ask as I have a couple of friends who are bartenders for Royal.