Early dinning for Alaska--is that a mistake?

hugoal

Never cruised to Alaska before. Booked the May 23rd RT Vancouver on Noordam with a group of 4, and reserved a table for 4 at Early Dinning, as we preferred to have a fixed dinning time.

Now I am wondering if we are gonna miss some very good scenery because of this? Especially on the first and last night that sail through the inside passage. Should we switch to the late dinning? Or is it worth it to skip the MDR on those two nights and stay at the LIDO buffet for dinner?

Any advice?

I would just skip the MDR on evenings when you are outside enjoying the scenery. I like early dining, it leaves plenty of time for 8 PM entertainment and I like being up for sunrise. Late dining gets you out of the dining room so late it's from there into bed unless you are a night owl, and on HAL there isn't much point IMHO!

In the past, we've eaten our meal on the back deck. Depending on the weather, you could curl up with a blanket; fix yourselves a plate of appetizers from the lido (taking turns keeping it replenished); and don't forget the wine. And enjoy the beautiful scenery. Not days we like to be indoors.

Edited by dcsam

From our experience your thinking is right on. Especially for the inside passage sections. We, too, like fixed dining and always book later for port intensive itineraries. Either find an alternate those days as you mention or try to switch to a different seating. If you really prefer earlier then just use the Lido or room service on a few days.

You will love your Alaskan cruise. Going from Vancouver was a good choice. Don't scrimp on the excursions. Whale watching (Harv and Marv), flying into the Misty Fjords (Island Wings), and Glacier Bay are some of our best travel memories. Have a great time!

Edited by jmps

Thanks everyone for the prompt and insightful advises!

I think I'll try to reserve a table near the window after with board the ship, and if we cannot get one, we would dine at the LIDO for those inside passage nights.:cool:

Hugo

Thanks everyone for the prompt and insightful advises!

I think I'll try to reserve a table near the window after with board the ship, and if we cannot get one, we would dine at the LIDO for those inside passage nights.:cool:

Hugo

If you're sticking with fixed dining, call NOW to try to get a table by the window. You will not be able to request such a table once onboard, unless you go with open seating. There aren't many tables by the window.

Depending upon traffic in Vancouver, you may be tight for sailaway, but equally you might well be out into the Burrard Inlet by the time 5:30 rolls around.

On day 2, you have no problem--you wake up well past Johnston Strait and you're heading for Rupert by the time you dine.

On day 3 you're at Juneau, and you don't leave until 10. Nothing to miss.

On day 4 you're at Skagway, and you don't leave until 9. Ditto.

On day 5 you'll leave Glacier Bay by 4, and be heading out Icy Strait towards the Gulf of Alaska--you're bigger issue is going to be dressed in time, because this'll be your second formal night.

On day 6 you'll be just leaving Ketchikan as you're sitting down to dinner. This is the only other day that you might miss some scenery.

On day 7, you'll be approaching Queen Charlotte Strait by dinner time, but you will have plenty of daylight to see your approach to Johnston Strait, so it makes no difference when you choose to eat.

We prefer fixed Late Seating for dinner on all of our cruises.

We never seem to have to rush getting ready for dinner meanwhile missing a sail-away. If we get hungry earlier we order room service snacks, drop by the Lido for snacks or maybe even grab some pizza to hold us over until dinner.

Late Dinner is normally over around 9:30 or so and that's time enough for us to do something afterwards like the piano bar, BB King show or just relax in the Ocean Bar. :)

If you're sticking with fixed dining, call NOW to try to get a table by the window. You will not be able to request such a table once onboard, unless you go with open seating. There aren't many tables by the window.

Ooops I didn't know I can book a specific table before we board. Thanks a lot for the information!

Depending upon traffic in Vancouver, you may be tight for sailaway, but equally you might well be out into the Burrard Inlet by the time 5:30 rolls around.

On day 2, you have no problem--you wake up well past Johnston Strait and you're heading for Rupert by the time you dine.

On day 3 you're at Juneau, and you don't leave until 10. Nothing to miss.

On day 4 you're at Skagway, and you don't leave until 9. Ditto.

On day 5 you'll leave Glacier Bay by 4, and be heading out Icy Strait towards the Gulf of Alaska--you're bigger issue is going to be dressed in time, because this'll be your second formal night.

On day 6 you'll be just leaving Ketchikan as you're sitting down to dinner. This is the only other day that you might miss some scenery.

On day 7, you'll be approaching Queen Charlotte Strait by dinner time, but you will have plenty of daylight to see your approach to Johnston Strait, so it makes no difference when you choose to eat.

Thanks for this Amazing list!

Btw what's the approximate time the ship approach Johnston straight?

Never cruised to Alaska before. Booked the May 23rd RT Vancouver on Noordam with a group of 4, and reserved a table for 4 at Early Dinning, as we preferred to have a fixed dinning time.

Now I am wondering if we are gonna miss some very good scenery because of this? Especially on the first and last night that sail through the inside passage. Should we switch to the late dinning? Or is it worth it to skip the MDR on those two nights and stay at the LIDO buffet for dinner?

Any advice?

Actually, early seating is the most popular on the Alaskan cruises. Remember too that Alaska being far north; it's stays light until 9-10PM and you'll have all morning and afternoon to view the scenery. If you concerned about missing the scenery during dinner see if you can snag a table by the window; but as I recall from my Alaskan cruise all you could see are the lights from the shoreline and sea when sailing the inside passage. Nothing that would require switching to late seating. If you in general prefer to eat early - then stick with what you got. But if on the first and last days you prefer to eat late you could either make reservations in one of the specialty dining rooms or eat in the Lido cafe.

We never seem to have to rush getting ready for dinner meanwhile missing a sail-away. If we get hungry earlier we order room service snacks, drop by the Lido for snacks or maybe even grab some pizza to hold us over until dinner.

Late Dinner is normally over around 9:30 or so and that's time enough for us to do something afterwards like the piano bar, BB King show or just relax in the Ocean Bar. :)

Emmm.... I will seriously consider late dinning as well.

Actually, early seating is the most popular on the Alaskan cruises. Remember too that Alaska being far north; it's stays light until 9-10PM and you'll have all morning and afternoon to view the scenery. If you concerned about missing the scenery during dinner see if you can snag a table by the window; but as I recall from my Alaskan cruise all you could see are the lights from the shoreline and sea when sailing the inside passage. Nothing that would require switching to late seating. If you in general prefer to eat early - then stick with what you got. But if on the first and last days you prefer to eat late you could either make reservations in one of the specialty dining rooms or eat in the Lido cafe.

Thanks! I was told by Hal online representative that early dinning is in general more popular. We also want to walk around the promenade deck in day light after the dinner. That's why we prefer early although late is also ok for us.

Ooops I didn't know I can book a specific table before we board. Thanks a lot for the information!

You can ask for a specific table but there are no guarantees that you'll get it. You can probably search for a MDR plan here on CC. If you can't find one, try googling Noordam dining room layout. There's a very good website (that can't be named) with one. Incidentally, there are more window tables than I thought. I guess I've been on the smaller ships where I've requested specific tables. I personally like the ones at the aft, over the wake.

As an early diner, I enjoy photographing the sunsets that I would not be able to do during Late Dining. Attending an early show allows me to work on my days photographs, to retire at 11:00 PM, and be well rested for the early port arrivals the next day.

You can ask for a specific table but there are no guarantees that you'll get it. You can probably search for a MDR plan here on CC. If you can't find one, try googling Noordam dining room layout. There's a very good website (that can't be named) with one. Incidentally, there are more window tables than I thought. I guess I've been on the smaller ships where I've requested specific tables. I personally like the ones at the aft, over the wake.

Yes I got one from the website you mentioned. Very useful place with tons of facts! Am really grateful to those built and contributed to it!

As an early diner, I enjoy photographing the sunsets that I would not be able to do during Late Dining. Attending an early show allows me to work on my days photographs, to retire at 11:00 PM, and be well rested for the early port arrivals the next day.

Sounds like a plan[emoji41]

... as with most things in life, it's a question of preferences and priorities - only you can determine what is most important to you and what compromises you are willing to make to get what you value/want most ... but IMO the early seating is better because it allows for a less hurried evening time ...

Thanks for this Amazing list!

Btw what's the approximate time the ship approach Johnston straight?

Depending on the tide through Seymour Narrows, midnight to 4am. If you get up early, it could still be pretty, you don't get into Queen Charlotte Sound till mile 225 from Vancouver. I always take my copy of "The Alaska Cruise Companion" by Joe Upton. In summer 2013, you could still get it on HAL ships.

Depending on the tide through Seymour Narrows, midnight to 4am. If you get up early, it could still be pretty, you don't get into Queen Charlotte Sound till mile 225 from Vancouver. I always take my copy of "The Alaska Cruise Companion" by Joe Upton. In summer 2013, you could still get it on HAL ships.

You can also get in on Ebay for a reasonable price. It's the book we'll be taking when we leave for Alaska on May 9th.

Hi, We do the same as you do. Works real well for us.