on board duty free purchases

tuscanyvegas

Hi, Can anyone help please. When cruising i always purchase a couple of bottle of duty free spirits to bring home from the ship duty free department. This year we are sailing from Venice and back with Celebrity. Will i still be able to purchase alcohol to bring home and cigarettes whilst onboard? My friend has recently returned from a cruise that departed and returned back to Venice but was unable to purchase duty free and was told it was because you are not allowed when sailing from this port?

Any advice on this matter is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I did a quick google search on this and couldn't find anything to support your friend's claim. The only thing I could find is that depending on what terminal you are out of, there may not be a duty free shop at the terminal - in other words if you are looking to buy something duty free before you get onboard that maybe what they mean.

It could also be based on what your country allows for as duty free. I did find a post from 12/2015 that talked about the duty free at the airport and that those from the EU couldn't get cigarettes duty free, but those outside the EU could

This has to do with EU regulations. A cruise originating in an EU port which includes a port stop outside of the EU can sell duty free throughout the cruise and onboard prices are duty free. Venice cruises often used to stop in Croatia which didn't join the EU until 2013. A stop in Turkey would also allow the cruise to be duty free. I'm guessing the cruise the OPs friend went on didn't make a non EU stop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also you can buy drink and cigarettes on land which may be cheaper at home. I normally check the prices on board than check the prices on land, often gotten better deals on land. What happens is when you board a security or ships personal direct you to the side, there's usually a table set up. Ship crew give you a receipt for the drink and it is either delivered to your cabin on last night or they set up a collection point the morning of disembarking. They don't take tobacco products only drink. Never had a problem

Yes, it is to do with EU regulations. Unless your cruise calls at a non EU country port there are restrictions placed on what you can buy.

We did a Venice to Venice 14 day cruise last year and one port was non EU so duty free was available but as I recall it was only for a certain period and not the whole cruise.

Our Venice to Venice cruise stops in Kotor, Montenegro. Would it be safe to say they will be selling duty free liquor on that cruise?

Montenegro has applied to enter the EU but as it is t currently a member then your cruise should be duty free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your replies. My friends cruise was Venice to Venice with Greek Isles. Our own cruise is Venice to Venice with Italy/Croatia. It does make sense now. Our cruise last year was Greek Isles/ Croatia but we set sail from Istanbul hence being able to purchase duty free booze/cigarettes from the ship.

You have all been a great help.

Thank you

Ask yourself what does duty free really mean. How much is duty where you live.

Comparing prices on board to my local liquor store recently my store including tax was cheaper then on board the Summit. Paid more for a bottle of JW Blue but had non returnable cruise credit .

Ask yourself what does duty free really mean. How much is duty where you live.

Comparing prices on board to my local liquor store recently my store including tax was cheaper then on board the Summit. Paid more for a bottle of JW Blue but had non returnable cruise credit .

Yes, you have to know your prices. Got 4 liters of Stoli for $40 on Summit last month - non-refundable OBC, so it's a deal since my wife mixes with it.