NCL Exchange Rate Adjustments?

ilovetotravel1977

Does anyone know how often NCL adjusts their exchange rates for pricing?

Right now, the rate is sitting at 1.23826, but NCL's pricing on the Canadian site is still reflecting 1.34.

Therefore, they are overcharging Canadians, but most wouldn't know this if you don't consistently monitor prices or have access to a VPN network to view the US NCL site.

Another question is if I call NCL to book a cruise and direct the agent to this information, would they be able to charge me in Canadian dollars using the ACTUAL exchange rate? Or do they have to go by the Canadian website pricing and not the US website?

I think that they now adjust their rates more frequently than they used to, you will need to keep an eye on the cruise prices in CAD and do the maths looking for the next change.

BUT why not book in USD through a TA in the USA.

It won't hurt to ask NCL though.

NCL is not a bank, they can charge any exchange rate that they want. Seems to me that they are giving too much, it should be closer to 1.50 for them to make decent profits.

Or they should just charge everyone the correct exchange rate based on the US dollar.

I didn't say anything about them being a bank.

So if you were shopping at a Canadian retailer (I'm assuming you are American) and they decided to charge you MORE than what they should, you would have no issue paying hundreds of dollars more for something?

Does anyone know how often NCL adjusts their exchange rates for pricing?

Right now, the rate is sitting at 1.23826, but NCL's pricing on the Canadian site is still reflecting 1.34.

Therefore, they are overcharging Canadians, but most wouldn't know this if you don't consistently monitor prices or have access to a VPN network to view the US NCL site.

Another question is if I call NCL to book a cruise and direct the agent to this information, would they be able to charge me in Canadian dollars using the ACTUAL exchange rate? Or do they have to go by the Canadian website pricing and not the US website?

Call your NCL cruise consultant and get a quote in both Canadian and USD. At the moment it is cheaper to pay in USD.

NCL is not a bank, they can charge any exchange rate that they want. Seems to me that they are giving too much, it should be closer to 1.50 for them to make decent profits.

Hi there

Yes, they are not a bank. That is why they don't need to make a profit on the exchange rate.

Do you think they are doing us a favor? They are a large international company and they are competing for our (as Maniac pointed out) monopoly money. NCL aren't the only ones to do it either. This isn't the only time either. U.S. companies have offered Canadian shoppers discounted rates many times over the years, because it is to their benefit. They know we can go anywhere in the world to spend our money. Just because the CDN$ is lower compared than US$ doesn't mean it is lower compared to other currencies. It was only five years ago that the CDN$ was valued higher than the US$. That's how money markets work. It's means nothing within a country except that depending on where products are made and shipped from they will cost more or less as markets fluctuate. Of course for many decades now it really doesn't matter because most of what we buy in North America is made in China and are benefitting from cheap labor.

I can't believe that just because you live in the U.S. you don't look for the best value when you spend your money, any less than we do. Why would you care that we are trying to do the same?

Hi there

Yes, they are not a bank. That is why they don't need to make a profit on the exchange rate.

Do you think they are doing us a favor? They are a large international company and they are competing for our (as Maniac pointed out) monopoly money. NCL aren't the only ones to do it either. This isn't the only time either. U.S. companies have offered Canadian shoppers discounted rates many times over the years, because it is to their benefit. They know we can go anywhere in the world to spend our money. Just because the CDN$ is lower compared than US$ doesn't mean it is lower compared to other currencies. It was only five years ago that the CDN$ was valued higher than the US$. That's how money markets work. It's means nothing within a country except that depending on where products are made and shipped from they will cost more or less as markets fluctuate. Of course for many decades now it really doesn't matter because most of what we buy in North America is made in China and are benefitting from cheap labor.

I can't believe that just because you live in the U.S. you don't look for the best value when you spend your money, any less than we do. Why would you care that we are trying to do the same?

Great post!

I was told that they change it quarterly. I would guess it'll be $1.25 at the end of the month.

That's how I got the $1.07 a couple of years ago. Booked in June at $1.07, rose to $1.20 in the summer and $1.25 in the fall.

Just did a mock booking for my cruise on the US and Canadian sites and the difference is quite large, if someone was just using the Canadian site.

B2 balcony on the US site is $3290 (USD to CDN = $4015) and the Canadian site is $4411.

$400 is a fairly significant difference to a lot of people, so my advice right now is to not book through the Canadian site, but call NCL directly or use a TA to get a price in USD.