no refund of port charges/taxes form a missed port

KEZCOTJ

I recently returned from the 10/21 NCL Gem sailing TO CANADA. We skipped our last port due to an impending tropical storm heading up the east coast. I inquired if we would be getting back those port charges-got an answer of NO. I don't want any other compensation but would think that the cruise line couldn't keep those taxes/charges as they did not need to be paid by the Gem. Feeling confused

Edited by KEZCOTJ
spelling

If they did not substitute a port they school should have credit you for the taxes/port fees.

Keith

Agree and if you didn't get any OBC, which is how some got their's back on other cruises. I would write a letter to NCL requesting the port charges for the port you missed.

I recently returned from the 10/21 NCL Gem sailing TO CANADA. We skipped our last port due to an impending tropical storm heading up the east coast. I inquired if we would be getting back those port charges-got an answer of NO. I don't want any other compensation but would think that the cruise line couldn't keep those taxes/charges as they did not need to be paid by the Gem. Feeling confused

We were on the same cruise. We were refunded the port charges.it was posted on Oct 30 as refundable onboard credit of $14 per person. We also got $9 per person for the loss of the afternoon in Quebec City. Check your final statement. It doesn't say port charges but it was there.

Think of total port charges for a cruise as going into a large pot for each person. If the total port charges are less than what you put in the pot you get whatever is left over returned to you. If the port charges are more than what you put in the pot NCL eats the difference. Sounds like total charges were less than you put in so no refund.

We were on the same cruise. We were refunded the port charges.it was posted on Oct 30 as refundable onboard credit of $14 per person. We also got $9 per person for the loss of the afternoon in Quebec City. Check your final statement. It doesn't say port charges but it was there.

That looks like the answer.

What was on your (OP) statement?

Yeah, this also happened to us on our recent Getaway TA cruise. St. Maarten and St. Thomas were scratched off the itinerary and replaced with overnight Bermuda, and we saw the $11 pp credits in our account.

We were on the same cruise and that is what we got.

There have certainly been reported cases of missed ports (not replaced, just skipped) with no refund of fees from NCL. People ask about it, and the answer on board is simply "no money back". And other times the refund happens automatically on board.

I haven't heard of: people not getting a refund or port fees unless they complain (on board or after the cruise), or some people getting an automatic refund and other people on the same sailing getting nothing. I would be interested in hearing reports of such situations. Maybe the OP was actually refunded and overlooked it, but it's strange that they specifically asked about it and got told "no".

There have certainly been reported cases of missed ports (not replaced, just skipped) with no refund of fees from NCL. People ask about it, and the answer on board is simply "no money back". And other times the refund happens automatically on board.

I haven't heard of: people not getting a refund or port fees unless they complain (on board or after the cruise), or some people getting an automatic refund and other people on the same sailing getting nothing. I would be interested in hearing reports of such situations. Maybe the OP was actually refunded and overlooked it, but it's strange that they specifically asked about it and got told "no".

I think there was just a misunderstanding. I heard and I was told Guest Services were waiting to hear from corporate. They said they knew nothing which I believed. The credit just came on our account automatically.