mini-suites on Gem - noise?

electro

I got an upgrade bid offer for my Gem cruise in Feb.

in a Bal, thinking up bidding on a mini-suite but they are all on deck 11 under the pool / buffet deck.

Anyone stay in one of the mini-suites, was there much noise from the deck above?

Thanks

Lois

I got an upgrade bid offer for my Gem cruise in Feb.

in a Bal, thinking up bidding on a mini-suite but they are all on deck 11 under the pool / buffet deck.

Anyone stay in one of the mini-suites, was there much noise from the deck above?

Thanks

Lois

We were under the buffet(11580) in May. Never heard a sound from above.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If it were us, we'd stick with and stay in the balcony cabin. The mini-suites on the Jewel class ships have bathtub and I heard they have high edges. We prefer shower.

But go ahead and bid for a sweet suite!

I was on NCL Pearl in a mini suite last year and thought it was pretty great. (The Pearl is a sister to The Gem) I particularly liked the bathroom because of the tub/shower. I read a couple places here on CC were someone had complained about the "scary" step over into the tub. So I made a point of measuring the step-over. 18 inches. WOW! Scary! I have no idea why anyone would consider it scary - it's about the same as my tub at home. I'm 5'10" and my shipmate is 5'2" - neither of us thought the tub abnormal. I liked the tub/shower in our mini suite because most shower stalls make me feel cramped. The Pearl's tub was identical in size to an average tub at home - 60 inches X 30 inches wide.

As for the noise from above - nil. We were forward under the salon/library/card room and never heard a sound from above. Very quiet.

This was our mini suite tub:

27220843202_5159d4be14_b.jpg

We were on the Gem a year ago, cabin 11040, just below the pools. The Gem has tables and chairs on both sides of the pool area. We didn't hear the movement of chairs at all. What we did hear was the band that played in the evening (10-11ish). If they get enough people up there, it could be an issue. A lot will depend on the make up of the age groups on the ship, and the weather. Other than that, and the bath tub, it was a great cabin.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I went ahead and bid on both the mini suite and the SF/SE. I bid pretty low so not a great chance of getting it but if we end up in a SF over bliss, we both have noise cancelling headphones.:o

electro.....if at all possible I would avoid deck 8. The Bliss is a lounge with heavy bass, and loud music. Other than that you will enjoy the aft facing cabins.:cool:

How late does the music usually go to in Bliss?

It's been a while since I've been on a Jewel Class ship and I don't usually hang out in the night club, not my kind of music.

We are just like you.....not our kind of music. A lot depends on the make up of your fellow cruisers. I have never had a cabin above the Bliss, but have walked by it on my way to our cabin.....11ish. It can be rocking at that time of night, or it can be rather quiet, it all depends on the younger generation, and if they want to party.

Hope this helps.

I was on NCL Pearl in a mini suite last year and thought it was pretty great. (The Pearl is a sister to The Gem) I particularly liked the bathroom because of the tub/shower. I read a couple places here on CC were someone had complained about the "scary" step over into the tub. So I made a point of measuring the step-over. 18 inches. WOW! Scary! I have no idea why anyone would consider it scary - it's about the same as my tub at home. I'm 5'10" and my shipmate is 5'2" - neither of us thought the tub abnormal. I liked the tub/shower in our mini suite because most shower stalls make me feel cramped. The Pearl's tub was identical in size to an average tub at home - 60 inches X 30 inches wide.

As for the noise from above - nil. We were forward under the salon/library/card room and never heard a sound from above. Very quiet.

This was our mini suite tub:

27220843202_5159d4be14_b.jpg

I felt it was like an inch or 2 higher then normal. I think the worry is more for people with limited moblity.

Just goes to show: different strokes for different folks! I had no problem with the cabin itself; we were (and always have been) on Deck 11, but next time I'll probably one deck lower. They may be a little smaller, but the noise from Deck 12 has always been troubling: the music at night from the theme parties, power washing of the deck, storing and subsequent replacement of the lounge chairs, Garden Cafe/ kitchen noise, fitness center, teen club, etc. Also, deck 11 has bathtubs, whereas those below have stall showers. Or so I think. As noted above, many enjoyed the bathtubs, but I found them difficult, and frankly, dangerous to get in and out of. They are a bit deeper and more sloped than a standard tub, presumably to stop the water from sloshing over the side while underway, but even a regular tub may be an issue or concern to some. It was mentioned above that they were around 18 inches, which depending on your height of course, is about knee high. (I'm 5'9) For some, it's not too easy standing on one foot, lifting the other higher than your knee on a wet tile surface on a ship underway in the Atlantic. A DUI sobriety test is easier. There weren't any hand/grip rails either which I've noticed is pretty standard now-a-days in hotels. Anyway, I think you get the point! Personal preference. Others in the group took showers in the spa as that's where they were at the end of the day anyway.