Tours of San Juan from the dock

JoAnnaBullhead

Puerto Rico is still devastated and those who have not left are hurting. My very close friend, Carlos Medina, from customtourspr has not seen a customer in three months. His son, Carlitos, who ran the tours with him, left to take a job in Texas. Not much has changed since the hurricane and our fellow citizens in PR are no longer front page headlines......so sad.

I have been sending care packages to Carlos and he in turn has been supplying the less fortunate in surrounding towns. Feel free to check his update at http://www.customtourspr.com and I will be happy to share his contact info if anyone wants to help out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Martap.. thanks for the post.. so heartbreaking... please share Carlos' infor... we are looking for a tour of the city.. there would be 4 of us.. thanks so much.. the date would be Wed. Dec 20th.. we are in port from 7:00 Am until midnight. Thanks, Jo-Anna

Martap.. thanks for the post.. so heartbreaking... please share Carlos' infor... we are looking for a tour of the city.. there would be 4 of us.. thanks so much.. the date would be Wed. Dec 20th.. we are in port from 7:00 Am until midnight. Thanks, Jo-Anna

cmedina526@gmail.com

Internet is still spotty but I did correspond with Carlos yesterday and you can contact him. Also, feel free to read his latest update on his website..........

I have traveled all over Puerto Rico with Carlos (Charlie) and he is a joy to be with. I just hope the island recovers. We will be stopping next June off the Allure and already planning several days before our Freedom 12/18 cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Martyap.. I emailed Carlos last night. This is the reply I got from him below... thanks for the info.

Hola Jo-Anna

I apologize for delayed response… Since the passing of Hurricanes Irma and Maria internet and cell service is very spotty… I try to update my Webb Home Page every few days as to conditions on the island… I’m working off my lap top hooked up to car battery and invert-er…

I'm so sorry but I'm booked solid the 20th.. Most tour operators have their vehicles contracted out to electrical companies.. I haven't been so lucky..

Muchas Gracias for considering me, Carlos

We are here in San Juan and we are not seeing the devastation that everyone is talking. The locals are telling us that SJ survived the storm very well. We are over by the Double Tree and there is very little damage as comparison to what has been told via the news. Everyone around us has power, stores and restaurants are open. The locals are coming to the restaurants. Now they need the tourist..

I didn't see the free trolley. We got an Uber to the fort and walked Old San Juan afterward. Stores are open and welcoming people. It is definitely empty with very few tourist. What we saw was allot of trees down. The trees have been cleared and are just waiting to be picked up. Mother Nature has started to work and SJ is coming to life with the beautiful greenery. Two blocks from my AIRBNB is the beach. It is lovely and the water is blue. I personally didn't enjoy Old San Juan. All we saw was shopping, which a majority of it is in Orlando. We didn't go down to the pier and I hear that is the place to get unique items. So we did allot of building site seeing.

Puerto Rico is so much more than OSJ or Ashford Avenue in Condado.........It is Loiza, Fajardo, Luquillo, El Yunque......the hurricane was indeed devastating to many, many parts of the island and many remain with very limited services. We have taken numerous cruises from San Juan and have always added days pre or post to explore the beautiful island either by renting a car or using the services of Charlie's CustomToursPR.

When I was in San Juan, PR, I did a tour with Debbie, "Legends of Puerto Rico". She does an excellent tours of San Juan. She has a website and email, but I just saw a post from her on Facebook that she is still without electricity, so it may take time for her to respond. Like other tour guides, she has been without work since Hurricane Maria. Hope she will work out for you.

Just back off of Oasis. You could not take 3 steps after leaving the dock without being offered a tour. We we're hit with 3 offers at $25, $20 and $15 per person. We went with a very nice older gentleman for $15 per person. All had nice air conditioned mini buses and offered 2 1/2 to 2 hour tours. We paid at the end and had a great time and many landmark and sightseeing stops in old and new San Juan. Everything was beautiful. We spent about 20 minutes at the capital building and toured inside. Last stop was El Morro Fort. We could stay there or be dropped of at a nice square 2 block from the ship. We got dropped off at the square and ate at Cafe Puerto Rico which was in the square. Had a frozen sherbert from a vendor as well on our short walk to the pier. Lots of vendors and seemed like everything was open.

All operators have shirts that say happy tours it seems but are operating under their own brand and have different prices. I need to find the business card of our operator as I would use him again. His tour company was Kunta Kinte Tours.