how to bring water...

a4ofspades

Our normal routine is to pack one carryon with important stuff and one with the limit of water for 2 people (24/20oz. bottles) and yes, we do have the luggage checked by security and have to explain that it's for the 2 of us. This trip however, I am traveling with my cousin and have told her I will pack the water as she is flying in...so now I have 2 carryons for me to bring. I thought I could just send it on with the porters (maybe including a note that it's water for the 2 in the cabin) but I saw in one thread that all liquid must be carried on. True?? Thinking I'm dragging 2 carryons but thought I'd ask the experts anyway. :)

BTW...living in Florida has made me fussy about my water...I grew up in Jersey but Florida water is HEINOUS. Most water that is not purified tastes funny to me...the dining room water is drinkable but for the room I really prefer bottled water. Yep, I'm one of those sissies who would probably die on Survivor :o

Yes, cousin will be with me so no problem with getting it onboard, just was hoping to send it with the other luggage. I have sent carryons off the ship as it is just a small suitcase so does not really have to be "carried on" ;) Just did not realize you had to accompany your water.

Thanks for the tip about ordering the water...would consider that but the bottled water onboard is not the type I bring with me..oh well...thanks for the replies but I guess I am taking 2 carryons with me. :)

Carrying a lot of water through security shouldn't be an issue as long as it's not an unreasoanble number (3 or 4 cases of liter bottles:D) but the 16oz size are easier to handle. Keep them shrinkwrapped. Security will shake them up and down and might pull out one or two from the middle. Consider using one of those small hand carts people use to carry boxes, instead of a carryon. They'll support a couple of cases, and there are other sizes that'll hold more. You can bungee strap the water to them. And once in the cabin, the cart folds flat.

Yes, I know the water is fine to drink..it's a taste issue. We refill our water jugs at what is called a "water mill" here in Florida. We once had someone come to our home trying to sell us a filtration system...he tested 3 samples...our tap water, his filtered water, and the water mill we drink...the water mill was the cleanest of the 3 which was pretty humorous. :) When I purchase water, I buy distilled or purified water...it is the only thing that tastes similar to the water mill. Honestly, the water in Florida is so awful it has caused me to really take note of how my water tastes. My SIL says when she visits she can taste the funk of Florida water in a cup of coffee.

Your cousin will need to board with you or I wouldn't think they'll let you carry-on 12 for her; even though 1 PAX is totin' it, the other PAX must be present.

I have a similar question, but about wine, not water. My boyfriend and I both plan on carrying on a bottle each. Can we put them in the same carry-on or do we each need to carry our own on?

I have a similar question, but about wine, not water. My boyfriend and I both plan on carrying on a bottle each. Can we put them in the same carry-on or do we each need to carry our own on?

Same carryon. No problem. I've carried on 4 bottles in a 4 pack carry from the liquor store (4 adults on the cruise) with no issues since we all walked through together.

Yes , one person can carry both bottles. Go thru the same security line. I got questioned about my 3 bottles, when my kids were in the next line over.

I understand about florida water comments I guess, but to drink the water in the dining room, but not in your cabin ? Its the same water... If you drink the dining room water, no reason not to drink the cabin water and saves you the money buying bottled water and then lugging it through the cruse ship..

• 2 months later...

I totally get this thread. I have a water fetish myself. :D On past cruises I've carried water on and once I even tried a Britta water bottle with a filter built into it. Ya that didn't work either. I could still taste "something" funky about the water. :cool:

I didn't know that you could order a case on-board though. I may try that next time. Yes it's more money but for me, having water that I can drink without issue, it's worth it.

Water served in the dining room and from beverage dispensers goes through an additional filtration step to remove chlorine, compared to the cabin sink which doesn't.

It's all safe, clean and drinkable, but you can tell the difference if you're paying close attention.

be aware if you give it to a porter, its no longer a carry on and there is potential that they will take the water and/or wine until the end of the cruise. I read people going to the naughty room and seeing lots of water and wine there that they held

i guess some people get through but dont be surprised if yours are taken

Wine in checked luggage will taken and given back at the end of the cruise. My friend made that mistake once. I have water bottles in checked luggage all the time and they don't take them. Also I see people with cases of water. I know there is a 12 per person limit, but I think they are more concerned about 12 soda type as opposed to counting the water towards that limit.

Edited by n6uqqq

Yes, I know the water is fine to drink..it's a taste issue. We refill our water jugs at what is called a "water mill" here in Florida. We once had someone come to our home trying to sell us a filtration system...he tested 3 samples...our tap water, his filtered water, and the water mill we drink...the water mill was the cleanest of the 3 which was pretty humorous. :) When I purchase water, I buy distilled or purified water...it is the only thing that tastes similar to the water mill. Honestly, the water in Florida is so awful it has caused me to really take note of how my water tastes. My SIL says when she visits she can taste the funk of Florida water in a cup of coffee.

I don't know what part of Florida you are in but I agree with you. We never drink water from our tap. When put in the fridge to cool it has a bad smell to it. We are on city water but heaven forbid I put something in the washer to soak and accidentally forget about it. When I go back to it and run a cycle it makes the whole house smell like stinky water.

I understand about florida water comments I guess, but to drink the water in the dining room, but not in your cabin ? Its the same water... If you drink the dining room water, no reason not to drink the cabin water and saves you the money buying bottled water and then lugging it through the cruse ship..

Actually there is a reason they are different. Posted by Chengkp75 who worked on a cruise ship for many years:

"I will say that water taste is one of the most subjective things ever discussed on these forums. The "taste" that most object to is the residual chlorine in the water, which must be maintained per USPH requirements. Many cruisers swear by the water in the windjammer, and this is possible because the water dispensers, soda guns, and ice makers onboard all have carbon filters in them to reduce the chlorine scale buildup that happens inside their workings. It also removes the chlorine taste."

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=40421869&highlight=water#post40421869

Edited by BeachChik

Wine in checked luggage will taken and given back at the end of the cruise. My friend made that mistake once. I have water bottles in checked luggage all the time and they don't take them. Also I see people with cases of water. I know there is a 12 per person limit, but I think they are more concerned about 12 soda type as opposed to counting the water towards that limit.

We check a case of water pretty much every cruise and never had an issue. I'm not carrying it around with me :) And I'm not about to buy overpriced water on the ship. We'll buy overpriced drinks but I draw the line on water:) Besides, it is so convenient having a case IN the cabin.

Yes , one person can carry both bottles. Go thru the same security line. I got questioned about my 3 bottles, when my kids were in the next line over.

Its me travelling with my two young daughters and I intend on bringing a 24 pack of water (yes I said 24 pack-my kids drink water like fish) and a 6 pack of soda but I wanted to bring two bottles of wine for ME...all on my carry on......I don't think I'll have a problem:cool:

Its me travelling with my two young daughters and I intend on bringing a 24 pack of water (yes I said 24 pack-my kids drink water like fish) and a 6 pack of soda but I wanted to bring two bottles of wine for ME...all on my carry on......I don't think I'll have a problem:cool:

dont be surprised or angry if they take one away...