Diamond and Drink Package -- Good Deal or Not?

Would like to hear from those who are Diamond or have CL access and have purchased a drink package in terms of whether you were happy or not.

We are on a 14 night cruise, 6 sea days. There is a 20% discount on the Select package (wine/beer/soda) bringing it to ~$40/day. I would normally get the soda package at $8.50/day.

So, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to get the wine/beer alcohol package for $30/day more given that I already have Diamond and CL benefits. Last time w/o the package, I avoided drinking outside of the "freebies" and spent very little. I took a free glass of wine to dinner but would have liked to have a second. Would like to have had a beer or two while on the pool deck -- but had this aversion to paying as I went (and the bartenders looked at me strangely for being one of the very few w/o a package).

As noted, it's beer/wine only. Don't care about water, juice, specialty coffees, frozen drinks, etc. I must have my sodas, so definitely will get the soda package.

I know no one can tell me whether it's "worth it" for me but am curious if other Diamond or suite passengers have or have not bought a package and whether they loved it or regretted it.

Thanks!

We are Diamond and have always purchased the drink package. We do enjoy the drinks, water, specialty coffee's etc. So you just need to calculate how much you drink in an average day and decide if it's worth it for you.

I don't like the wine that is offered in the CL so we don't usually have drinks there. I also don't like the atmosphere of the CL's on the newer ships so tend to not get drinks here before dinner.

A typical day for us is an adult beverage such as a Bloody Mary in the morning or maybe an adult coffee. One or two drinks with lunch. Drinks by the pool. Drink before dinner. Drinks with dinner. Drinks after dinner. You get the point :p:D:eek:

For us it's a bargain. But as you stated in your post it's an individual decision.

$30 works out to 3-4 glasses of wine or 4-5 beers depending on the brands you like. So if you think you'd drink more than that it's financially 'worth it'. You may also feel extra benefit in being relaxed and not having to worry about how much you're spending etc

My husband and I are Diamond and he purchased the Select Package and has purchased it for our next cruise. He very much liked the convenience of being able to order a glass or glasses of wine during the day and at dinner. He also liked the free soda on the card and would get a diet coke at dinner, also.

We never made it to the Diamond Lounge and with early dinner, did not always get to a bar with enough time to enjoy more than one of the free glasses of wine as a Diamond member.

I don't know if he broke even on the package and was not trying to. I think the package gave him the freedom to enjoy a beer or wine more often than he might have without it.

I'd say pay as you go. It is cheaper as a diamond. Unless you drink a lot during the day and after diamond hour. I don't worry about the price of a drink so buying the package doesn't make it any more relaxing for me. I guess I don't understand the convenience logic. When I want a drink I buy one. So a couple of beers by the pool and a couple after dinner plus several free ones during diamond hour. I drink plenty and never seem to come close to the price of a package. But if you think you will drink $30 each day then get the package.

Edited by topnole

I'd say pay as you go. It is cheaper as a diamond. Unless you drink a lot during the day and after diamond hour. I don't worry about the price of a drink so buying the package doesn't make it any more relaxing for me. I guess I don't understand the convenience logic. When I want a drink I buy one. So a couple of beers by the pool and a couple after dinner plus several free ones during diamond hour. I drink plenty and never seem to come close to the price of a package. But if you think you will drink $30 each day then get the package.

Wow, expertly explained and we feel the exact same way. For us, it is pay as you go being the cheaper option. Between the two of us we get 6 free drinks in the evening - that's more than enough for us. :) If we want a drink during the day, we buy it. We go to the Diamond Lounge for lattes.

This will be our first cruise as Diamond. Can someone explain how the drinks work? Is it only wine in the DL that you can get and only at certain time in the evening?

a131a7532cfcbe3cca7682d2012fb7e5.jpg

This is the drinks menu in the DL, champagne also available but not listed.

Hours of lounge usually 5-8:30.

As many drinks as you want in the lounge, and 3 drinks (same menu) available at most bars on board during the same hours. Useful if you are still out by the pool or drinking with non-D friends.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Is Beringer White Zinfandel not on the Diamond menu any more? Is was when we were on Splendour last October and is my favourites!

The drink menu may vary slightly by ship. If you don't see the Beringer White Zin on the menu, be sure to ask. I'd be surprised if they would not allow it as it is one of the least expensive wines on board.

Would like to hear from those who are Diamond or have CL access and have purchased a drink package in terms of whether you were happy or not.

We are on a 14 night cruise, 6 sea days. There is a 20% discount on the Select package (wine/beer/soda) bringing it to ~$40/day. I would normally get the soda package at $8.50/day.

So, I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to get the wine/beer alcohol package for $30/day more given that I already have Diamond and CL benefits. Last time w/o the package, I avoided drinking outside of the "freebies" and spent very little. I took a free glass of wine to dinner but would have liked to have a second. Would like to have had a beer or two while on the pool deck -- but had this aversion to paying as I went (and the bartenders looked at me strangely for being one of the very few w/o a package).

As noted, it's beer/wine only. Don't care about water, juice, specialty coffees, frozen drinks, etc. I must have my sodas, so definitely will get the soda package.

I know no one can tell me whether it's "worth it" for me but am curious if other Diamond or suite passengers have or have not bought a package and whether they loved it or regretted it.

Thanks!

This will always be a matter of personal choice. As a diamond member and a suite cruiser, it is great to have two lounges available to me but I prefer to go for the drinks package and, as it were, pay my own way and take a drink when and where I want one rather than wait for freebies in a lounge. It is often a struggle to get a seat in lounges anyway. I did attempt to venture into the CL lounge on the first night of my recent Indy Mediterranean cruise and gave up when I could not get a seat because it was packed with non -suite guests waiting patiently for the server to start cocktail hour. So I repeat that it is matter of choice. Drinks packages offer flexibility and freedom, representing good value - even to moderate vacation tipplers.

I agree it is a matter of personal choice :) We are diamond and usually cruise in a suite and go to either the diamond lounge or the concierge lounge. We don't usually drink alcohol before 5pm (it makes me too sleepy!)

The staff in the lounge will usually give you a fresh drink just before you leave for dinner and there is no problem carrying it into the dining room. To get an additional glass of wine during dinner I sometimes go out to the nearest bar to use a diamond voucher and have never had a problem bringing it back into the dining room. I also don't mind paying for a drink outside the 'hours'.

-

(We used to buy a wine package which was x bottles of wine from a list but that seems to have been discontinued :( )

I think a package does or doesn't make sense depending on what you like to drink and when you like to drink it.

Edited by lucymorgan

I also am a bit lost on the convenience factor. Either way you pull out your seapass and you get a drink. In one case the drink is pre-paid in the other case it ends up on your credit card. It is simply a financial decision based on how much you drink, what you like to drink and its cost.

I also am a bit lost on the convenience factor. Either way you pull out your seapass and you get a drink. In one case the drink is pre-paid in the other case it ends up on your credit card. It is simply a financial decision based on how much you drink, what you like to drink and its cost.

Exactly. I get that some want to prepay and not worry about running up a big tab but that would only happen to heavier drinkers IMO. There is zero convenience added with a package. Had one once and enjoyed it but it is totally an economic decision and if you're not sure you drink enough to make it worth while you probably don't.

Edited by topnole

Guessing they mean the lack of signing the bill when one has package. When my wife had the package on a recent cruise, she never had to sign a single receipt. She would give a cash tip when handing her SeaPass to the bar server and got no bills to sign. From what I read, even those who don't give cash tips up front only get a bill to sign part of the time.

Just remember the selection in the Diamond lounge is very basic, and time limited..........................

so

If you want a wider range of drink selections and longer time span, then do the drink package.

We are in a suite, and diamond and DH buys the drink package.

Me on the other hand, will stop in suite lounge if I want and get a glass of something.

Now mind you I usually just have a glass before dinner, and if I want will get one from 3 loaded on drink card. I'm not too picky.

It is what works for us.

Later

Guessing they mean the lack of signing the bill when one has package. When my wife had the package on a recent cruise, she never had to sign a single receipt. She would give a cash tip when handing her SeaPass to the bar server and got no bills to sign. From what I read, even those who don't give cash tips up front only get a bill to sign part of the time.

But, is it really an inconvenience to sign a little slip of paper? On my recent cruises, sometimes I would sign and sometimes not. For somebody who does like to tip an extra $1, I found it MORE convenient to sign so I wouldn't have to carry singles around with me. Guess it just depends on the person.

I think the "convenience" comes from not having to worry about what you're spending on board - it's prepaid so you can order whatever you want. Again - I actually found it a little more stressful because I wanted to make sure I was getting value out of the package. Unless there is sale, I won't be getting a package again. Not worth it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, is it really an inconvenience to sign a little slip of paper? On my recent cruises, sometimes I would sign and sometimes not. For somebody who does like to tip an extra $1, I found it MORE convenient to sign so I wouldn't have to carry singles around with me. Guess it just depends on the person.

I think the "convenience" comes from not having to worry about what you're spending on board - it's prepaid so you can order whatever you want. Again - I actually found it a little more stressful because I wanted to make sure I was getting value out of the package. Unless there is sale, I won't be getting a package again. Not worth it for me.

I see your point.

However, for us, we always tip in cash for drinks, whether we have a package or are buying singly, so there's no added burden to carrying around cash with the SeaPass card.

I see your point.

However, for us, we always tip in cash for drinks, whether we have a package or are buying singly, so there's no added burden to carrying around cash with the SeaPass card.

Agree with you Bob. We do exactly the same. I go to bank before we leave home and get bills in various denominations and distribute them as I see fit. No burden whatsoever. I do believe Diamond Hour plus 3 on sea pass will be way more than enough for us. If we want a drink at lunch we will buy it as we will have OBC to pay for drinks during the day. We had drink packages on B2B

on Celebrity in Feb. and never drank enough per day to justify buying a package and ours were included in booking deal. Many moons ago it would have been worth the expenditure for us. Individual decision based on your personal drinking habits. We did enjoy the bottles of water and neither of us is a soda drinker.

Surprised so many people are such good tippers. Each drink , beer , water etc includes a twenty percent gratuity and then you add an additional dollar plus in cash. If you purchased a package they add twenty percent gratuity to the price of the package . Seems to me that makes for a forty percent plus your cash on drinks. . Bartender explained this to me on the Jewel.

totally agree, we as well always purchase the package and we sail in suites and are Diamond and DO NOT go to the lounges. Probably will eat in CK when on Oasis, but that will be the extent of of being in the lounge.

too crowed in lounges and too many just waiting for their free drinks.....nah, we get the packages and get a drink when we want one wherever we are

Drinks for suite guests in the CL are not free......they are a paid for perk......I will use the CL lounge extensively because it is a perk we enjoy....we enjoy meeting lots of people there too! Unfortunately; not you though Venicia eh! Shame.....

We've met lovely people who have become friends and real characters like Capt Harry! He was super cool....