Tipping on Beverage Package?

pdilme92

I know on the beverage packages you are charged upfront 18% gratuity on the beverage package. My question is how is that distributed? Also are you expected or is it good to tip your bartender/server on top of that? I have no problem tipping extra if I have a server or bar tender go out of their way and give me great service but I don't feel like I should have to tip extra if I just walk up to a bar, get a drink and leave as I have already paid gratuity.

Just wondering how everyone else handles this and their opinions?

Edited by pdilme92

I know on the beverage packages you are charged upfront 18% gratuity on the beverage package. My question is how is that distributed? Also are you expected or is it good to tip your bartender/server on top of that? I have no problem tipping extra if I have a server or bar tender go out of their way and give me great service but I don't feel like I should have to tip extra if I just walk up to a bar, get a drink and leave as I have already paid gratuity.

You are not expected to tip extra, but some people do.

You will have already paid the tips when you buy the package. Just like all tips, they are divided among those on duty. You needn't tip additionally. If you happen to frequent one particular bartender A LOT, then tip them a bit extra on the last evening, when tipping is traditionally done.

You will have already paid the tips when you buy the package. Just like all tips, they are divided among those on duty. You needn't tip additionally. If you happen to frequent one particular bartender A LOT, then tip them a bit extra on the last evening, when tipping is traditionally done.

I do realize that gratuities are automatically applied when the package is purchased. On the other hand, if you drink 10 drinks a day, you are tipping less than $1 a drink.

I usually tip extra PER DRINK, not at the end of the week, as I use different bars to get my drinks. I'm not saying that everyone has to tip extra as it's a choice, but it's not something that is discouraged. So many think they have tipped a whole lot when they tip the 18% of the package, but it really depends upon how many drinks you drink per day. It's totally up to you.

We bring about $200 in singles and we tip $1 -$2 for every drink no matter where we get it. Then tip our favorites more at the end. We may be different from other people due to the fact that my wife has been a bartender for over 40 years and we know tips are very important.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

it gets equally distributed to everyone entitled to a cut. at your discretion you may choose to tip on top of that but by no means is it expected, or even morally obligated.

if you develop a relationship with one or 2, slipping a dollar or two every second or third drink may result in some 'pixie dust' sprinkled your way.

Would you say the same thing for those who walk around the pool and shows and all to take your order and bring it to you?

well the last few trips those guys were pretty much MIA. also, based on prior bad experiences, i wouldn't use them anyway. too often did we request a drink that never appeared and yet were charged for it.

We love having drinks in the Concierge lounge and always tip $1 per drink there and the servers seem to appreciate the cash and tend to look after us. The past few years we also get the drink package. Not the same result. Most bartenders don't even acknowledge the extra tips. It seems silly to give tips when they don't seem t notice or appreciate it. Its hard for me not to tip extra but I am really trying not to tip as much.

I always tip a least $1.00 per round.

More if I need a soda for the kids.

I know it's not necessary but I was an industry guy for many years so I can relate.

Plus I can almost always walk up to a crowded pool bar and get my drinks faster than the people who have been waiting a while.....

e a

I don't tip after I've tipped! Why? Why do some worry about it? I have a Thai friend who works as a Bar Waitress on Carnival for 7 years. The daily wage in Thailand is $10.00 a day or $300 month for a first year teacher or banker out of uni. She earns $3000 + per month while working 9 months a

year. One month she earned $5000. She loves her job and gets paid well.

They buy her an airline ticket round trip every contract, a free cabin and free food. She is a RICH person in her village! No need tip extra unless your in love. She is beautiful though!

e a

I don't tip after I've tipped! Why? Why do some worry about it? I have a Thai friend who works as a Bar Waitress on Carnival for 7 years. The daily wage in Thailand is $10.00 a day or $300 month for a first year teacher or banker out of uni. She earns $3000 + per month while working 9 months a

year. One month she earned $5000. She loves her job and gets paid well.

They buy her an airline ticket round trip every contract, a free cabin and free food. She is a RICH person in her village! No need tip extra unless your in love. She is beautiful though!

It's not that we (worry) or are in (love) with our servers it's because we appreciate them for doing a great job and for being away from their families for 9 months. We always tip extra because we are in the business and maybe the few extra bucks we give them they could buy something extra for the kids. $27,000 a year is nothing for the sacrifice they give up for being away from their family. That's one thing they will never get back.

Its my guess that the bartenders and waitstaff are getting much less income since these packages started because people are not tipping per-drink like they used to.

We tip an extra $1 per drink and get really great service this way. Not just good service but "above and beyond service". Worth every penny for us. ;)

year. One month she earned $5000. She loves her job and gets paid well...

A Barman in the Red Frog on the Carnival Breeze was telling us how he was building a large beach house in his country for his retirement, I forget where exactly but it was in the Caribbean.

He was taking home more than me per month and good luck to him. So like you one tip is enough unless they go out of their way.

Funny though, I can't remember seeing anyone ever hand over a cash as a tip to a Barman and now days most don't sign and tip that way because of the drink packages, how are you people getting the cash to them without me seeing?

I always tip a least $1.00 per round.

More if I need a soda for the kids.

I know it's not necessary but I was an industry guy for many years so I can relate.

Plus I can almost always walk up to a crowded pool bar and get my drinks faster than the people who have been waiting a while.....

Agreed man, being in the industry myself i hear yah, i always tip per round and it has it benefits!

TG

We bring about $200 in singles and we tip $1 -$2 for every drink no matter where we get it. Then tip our favorites more at the end. We may be different from other people due to the fact that my wife has been a bartender for over 40 years and we know tips are very important.

We are the same as you. I think the bank tellers think we are going to the strip club when we go ask for all those singles. I know that the tips are included in the package, but I think that they deserve more (IMO).

But on a side note, if we consistently get bad service from a particular bar tender, we might not tip him in cash, or might give less.

We don't get the drink package but we have always tipped extra when we orde a drink, usually a $1 per drink. We have added it to the slip we sign. Should we give the server cash or does it matter?

All of this discussion about tipping on drinks is interesting. I would like to hear others thoughts on this. We know that the pre-paid deluxe package includes approx 9 dollars a day in added gratuity, so if you consider 1.00 a drink for tip thats about 9 drinks or if you consider 2 dollars per drink you are closer to 5 drinks. When i go to a pub or craft beer bar here in the US, its typical to tip 1.00 per drink, i still think thats the norm. When Royal Caribbean adds 18% to a 12.00 drink that is a little over 2.15 for that drink. How many of us would tip 2+ dollars a drink at a bar, especially for a beer pour or bottled beer? I am not trying to start a flame war here but if we are tipping 2.00 a drink and adding 1-2 more on top of it, thats a hefty tip for what could be 5 - 30 seconds of work. And yes 27,000 USD in some of these countries where they hire from would be equivalent to over 100K / year if you lived here so yes they are extremely wealthy in their homeland.

The drink pkg gives the 18% grat. to the entire bar staff. Would giving cash to the actual server give to him/her, or would that cash go "in the pot" for everyone, as well?

Depends. I've seen bartenders use a pot, but bar servers seem to take the cash for themselves.