Porthole Cabin Sq Ft?

Carnival lists them at 185. https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/648

Cruisedeckplans lists them at 170. https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Carnival-Imagination

I do not know which is correct. A porthole is an "interior". Interiors generally are 170. I have found Carnival's site to be inaccurate at times. As an example, it does not report the mini fridge placement on the Sunshine correctly.

I know this much. I have stayed in a Fantasy class porthole stateroom. They do not have a couch. There is no room for one. Also, do not be fooled by deck plan pictures. Some porthole staterooms appear to be larger than others. They are not. The shape of the hull appears to afford more space in some rooms. An example is U9 and U15. U15 appears to be larger. It is not. the cove that makes up the porthole shelf is larger in U15 than it is in U9. The hall way and the beginning of the porthole shelf run parallel. Not sure if that makes sense or is helpful. I picked U7 on the Fantasy thinking it had to be larger. It was not.

Thanks for the great info. Think it may be be better (space wise & couch) to book an ocean view? Sorry for all the questions nit familiar with Carnival ships. Thanks again.

As with many things, there is no uniform "better". There are only preferences. If you spend lots of time in your room, improvements to the room might hold value. If you are like us, they hold no value. We spend very little time in our room. We crash after midnight and are up and running before 6. We have gone from a balcony, to an ocean view, to a porthole, to an interior. With the exception of a porthole or a 4J, I doubt we will ever stray from an interior again.

I had a porthole cabin on the Glory it had a twin bed and a couch with a table. I've stayed in port hole cabins many times IMO I think they are best deal on the ship especially If your are solo.

Gary

I had a porthole cabin on the Glory it had a twin bed and a couch with a table. I've stayed in port hole cabins many times IMO I think they are best deal on the ship especially If your are solo.

Gary

I agree. Great value. I assume you are aware that the Glory is Conquest class and the Imagination is a Fantasy class. The OP might not. Again, I agree with your assessment. I booked a porthole on the Breeze and the Fascination because of how I liked our porthole on the Fantasy. No couch in portholes on Fantasy class though.

I have been in many porthole cabins on Fantasy class ships. They vary in size by a lot. Look at the deck plans. As you approach the bow the hallway will take 90 degree turns toward the center of the ship. Immediately after those turns, the deck plans make the rooms look bigger. They really are. Try for one of those. Good luck

I have been in many porthole cabins on Fantasy class ships. They vary in size by a lot. Look at the deck plans. As you approach the bow the hallway will take 90 degree turns toward the center of the ship. Immediately after those turns, the deck plans make the rooms look bigger. They really are. Try for one of those. Good luck

I wondered about that! We have 3 portholes booked side by side in June on a Fantasy class (Fascination). I am looking forward to seeing if there really is much difference.

The Fantasy class is my favorite. We also tend to book inside cabins, or Portholes when available, as we are rarely in our room. It doesn't make sense to spend more for as little as we are in our room.

I wondered about that! We have 3 portholes booked side by side in June on a Fantasy class (Fascination). I am looking forward to seeing if there really is much difference.

The Fantasy class is my favorite. We also tend to book inside cabins, or Portholes when available, as we are rarely in our room. It doesn't make sense to spend more for as little as we are in our room.

I think you will be surprised at the size difference, it is significant.

I think you will be surprised at the size difference, it is significant.

I will be very curious as to their findings. Please do not read this wrong. I have not seen what you are describing. All I have observed is larger coves that make up the porthole shelf. As an example, you can sit in the cove in room U7. You have just a tiny shelf in U3. The difference in cove size between those 2 rooms accounts for the angle of the hull, while keeping the floor dimensions the same. I assumed that was true of all rooms as the hall staggers as you go forward. If I can figure out how to upload photos, I will show you what I mean. Obviously, I have not been in every room. I will be glad to learn if some are larger.

Edit: The photos I have are from a site not to be mentioned on this site. I cannot link to them. That matters little. I find it unimportant to prove my limited findings. I am more interested in learning what cruisemom67 observes on the Fascination. It is better to be proven wrong and learn, than to successfully argue a falsehood. cruisemom67, are you willing to share what rooms you have booked?

Edited by MaineBirdBrain
Can't upload photos.

I have been on 88 Carnival cruises probably 15 - 20 of them in porthole rooms. The porthole cove does get deeper closer to the bow. But the floor space is definitely larger after the right or left angle of the hallway. In some of the cabins, we have been in you could fit another "Carnival king" size bed on the floor.

I have been on 88 Carnival cruises probably 15 - 20 of them in porthole rooms. The porthole cove does get deeper closer to the bow. But the floor space is definitely larger after the right or left angle of the hallway. In some of the cabins, we have been in you could fit another "Carnival king" size bed on the floor.

Please be patient with me. I value your knowledge. Narrow your focus and help me out. Were all of these porthole rooms on Fantasy class ships? Of the ones that were on Fantasy class ships, did you observe the difference in sizes between rooms... or is it possible you are comparing Conquest class or Dream class or Spirit class with the Fantasy class? I have a finite amount of experience... and I am trying to look beyond my tiny world, but I have not observed that in an apples to apples comparison within the Fantasy class. Please forgive my ignorance. I am not being sarcastic. I fully recognize that you have a much bigger pool to draw from. Is it possible that you are comparing apples to oranges... and not limiting your observations to the original focus of the OP... Fantasy class porthole dimensions? I bow out now. Any further prodding will be too much.

One point though: Where the hall is straight (not comparing rooms that have a stagger between them) the cove that makes up the shelf to the windows is larger as you go aft, not forward.