Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 04:58 PM.
North Carolina
2,158 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Have to agree with many others. After 16/17 cruises, with multiple lines, we've never had anything go missing. Heck, I can't even remember anything being moved from where I left it except maybe some clothing being folded or hung up.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Florida
11 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by florisdekort
No, but in 99% of cases people lose or misplace something while traveling (hotel, cruise ship, etc.) they mistakenly claim it was stolen. It is exceptionally unlikely an Indonesian or Pilipino cabin steward would risk his/her livelihood by stealing a piece of jewelry from a cabin he/she is responsible for. Moreover, every person who goes in and out of your room is registered on the ship’s security cameras.
How do you know what happens in 99% of cases?
As I stated in another comment, there were at least 4 people coming in and out of the cabin daily in the last case.
And I am not imagining that a white new dress I had at the top of my suitcase disappeared on it's own when I walked it off the ship~
I spoke to them about cameras. There are none in the cabins, obviously, and the dress could have easily been hidden in between white towels since it was stark white. And just bc someone is registered entering and leaving, with over 4 people in the cabin a day how could you ever prove anyone took anything?
The jewelry box was not lost since I never took it out of the cabin!
South Carolina
29,999 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
No thefts for us but we do make good use of our cabin safe.
We do leave some dollar bills in our top drawer and they've never be taken.
Once on lido deck a friend of ours sat his Yeti cup on the table while we were standing around chatting and someone took it. None of the other regular containers were taken -- just his Yeti.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Florida
11 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Pyrate13
Have to agree with many others. After 16/17 cruises, with multiple lines, we've never had anything go missing. Heck, I can't even remember anything being moved from where I left it except maybe some clothing being folded or hung up.
I'm glad it hasn't happened to anyone else!
I guess I just have very bad luck with this.
I just wanted to warn others not to leave anything out.
I spent an entire cruise looking at peoples feet to see if anyone was wearing my stolen sneakers.
I'm sure my custom orthotics were not comfortable for them.
Florida
11 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by OCruisers
No thefts for us but we do make good use of our cabin safe.
We do leave some dollar bills in our top drawer and they've never be taken.
Once lido deck a friend of ours sat his Yeti cup on the table while we were chatting and someone took it. None of the other regular containers were taken -- just his Yeti.
Well, I am usually good about the safe.
All my other costume jewelry was in the safe, but this particular necklace and bracelet were in a seperate box bc thats how I keep it at home.
The first day I left an expensive water bottle somewhere.
was also surprised no one turned it into lost and found.
Florida
11 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Kfoot
In all 10 yrs of cruising I've never had anything stolen. I use the safe for my important documents and money. I leave my iPad and camera out all the time and they were never stolen. I've sailed on various lines.
This is unfortunate for you.
Yes it is.
It is being investigated. Sure nothing will turn up.
I will look into cameras to put in the cabin next time.
Florida
11 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by Nic6318
hi

Every once in a while someone will post about items stolen, but I would think it's not typical. I have cruised about 30 times now with never having things missing.

Some people say they never even use their safe, although that doesn't sound very smart. I can understand the temptation of valuables or cash, but a dress out of your suitcase, or a pair of shoes from under a chair, sounds bizarre. Don't forget while the cabin stewards are cleaning the cabins, the doors are open and anyone passing by while unattended can grab something out in the open.

Always use your safe for valuables. There is nothing to be done about someone on a cruise that will steal a pair of shoes.
The dress is bizarre, unless you think that this attendant knew what was in my closet and this was something not worn with tags. Then it makes sense that it can be sent as a gift or sold. I know this sounds accusatory, but it was the last thing I packed bc I was going to return it and I also didn't want it to get soiled so it was on top. I carried my own luggage off the ship. The dress was not there when I opened the bag two hours later.
Every human being can be tempted.
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
2,542 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I'm sorry this has happened to you or anyone else. I must admit I have been concerned the last few times cruising because when the stewards are cleaning the room they leave the door open and could be way down the hall getting something so it's left insecure and any opportunist could easily grab something quickly. In my opinion the staff wouldn't risk getting fired but an opportunist passenger might take the chance of stealing.

You are so right about how many different staff members come in and out. We had our do not disturb sign out one evening and were gone maybe an hour-when we came back our duty free was not just placed inside the door but way over by the drawers close to our balcony. I found that annoying and just a bit suspicious but we rarely leave anything sitting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Seascale,Cumbria,U.K.
5,979 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Never had anything taken, nor heard of others, except once a forum friend thought her packed suitcase had been opened before she collected it at the dock, and some jewellery was missing- but most don't put jewels in cases, but take from the safe and put in their hand luggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jo.
21 cruises; 12 ships; 8 lines; 96 ports
111,644 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
We have done over 140 cruises and never had anything stolen from our cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Stopped counting a few years ago -- have done over 140 cruises.
Tennessee
554 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
I am sorry you experienced having your items stolen. I have been lucky enough to have never had anything stolen from a cruise cabin or a hotel room. On my last cruise, I accidentally left my safe open and had hundreds of dollars of cash in it. I was upset to see that I had left it open, but impressed that everything was still there. I have also left my laptop out and cell phones charging, but nothing has ever been touched. It doesn't mean it won't happen, but I do think it's rare. There are people who steal, so I know it can happen anywhere. A passenger could even go into your cabin if the door is left open by the person cleaning it.

The camera sounds like a good idea. I think they even sell cameras that are inside usb chargers. Also, you might want to get a lock for your suitcase and use it to store valuables that won't fit in the safe.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
1/13/18 Carnival Vista **** 9/23/17 NCL Escape **** 6/18/17 RCL Liberty **** 2/12/17 Carnival Splendor **** 9/11/16 Carnival Breeze **** 12/20/15 Carnival Sensation **** 9/13/15 RCL Independence **** 9/20/14 NCL Getaway **** 6/22/14 Carnival Magic **** 5/25/13 Disney Fantasy
Utah
306 Posts
Joined Sep 2016
Never have had anything missing but have found pieces of jewelry left in the safe on two different cruises. Turned them in to Security - hope they found their way back to their owners.
Central Florida
1,613 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
First you said you had a box of jewelry taken, and now it's just two pieces?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Gina & Chris
Kindness matters!

Future:
Adventure OTS - 9 day Southern Caribbean 1/2019
Alaska - NCL Jewel - 7 day Southbound with Inside Passage 2021
Hawaii - Pride of America - 7 day RT 2024

Past:
RCL Freedom - 12-17-2017 Preview- Semi-live report
RCL Majesty - 12-12-2016 Review
RCL Enchantment - 10-25-2013
RCL Monarch - 12-12-2008
RCL Sovereign - 10-6-2008
Westerville, OH USA
2,148 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
While I believe theft can happen, it has never happened to us on a ship. I lost my precious Kindle on the NCL Jewel and they found it and mailed it back to me- for free! So, I have only been impressed with their honesty.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna and Mark
OH

NCL Sky July, 2005
NCL Sun July 1, 2006
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2008
NCL Pearl to Alaska 2009
NCL Sky 2010
RCCL Mariner of the Seas TA Fall 2012
HAL Westerdam Alaska 2013
NCL Star TA 2014
NCL Jewel Panama Canal 19 Nights April, 2015
Carnival Eastern Caribbean Nov, 2015
NCL Getaway Jan, 2016
RCL Vision of the Seas TA April 2016
RCL Majesty of the Seas Jan 2017
NCL Jewel Mexican Riviera March 2017
RCL Explorer of the Seas 22 Nights Transpacific Oct 2107
midwest
4,460 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Never have had anything taken. We usually do four week cruises and at times we have left money, jewelry and camera gear all over the cabin. We never put our laptops or camera away. We even forget to close the safe many times. I keep a stack of money for room service tips in the top drawer. I have opened it while staff is in the room and I am pretty sure no one has taken any. The staff knows they will be tossed off the ship if they are caught.
Westerville, OH USA
2,148 Posts
Joined Jan 2002
Well, I'm changing my reply since I checked and this theft posting is your first on cruise critic. The whole thing sort of reminds me when my mother who had Alzheimer's accused the staff at the nursing home of stealing her brown polyester pants.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Donna and Mark
OH

NCL Sky July, 2005
NCL Sun July 1, 2006
RCCL Majesty of the Seas 2008
NCL Pearl to Alaska 2009
NCL Sky 2010
RCCL Mariner of the Seas TA Fall 2012
HAL Westerdam Alaska 2013
NCL Star TA 2014
NCL Jewel Panama Canal 19 Nights April, 2015
Carnival Eastern Caribbean Nov, 2015
NCL Getaway Jan, 2016
RCL Vision of the Seas TA April 2016
RCL Majesty of the Seas Jan 2017
NCL Jewel Mexican Riviera March 2017
RCL Explorer of the Seas 22 Nights Transpacific Oct 2107
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
2,542 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Markanddonna
Well, I'm changing my reply since I checked and this theft posting is your first on cruise critic. The whole thing sort of reminds me when my mother who had Alzheimer's accused the staff at the nursing home of stealing her brown polyester pants.

Lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature