Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:59 PM.
Point Richmond CA
5,762 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Originally posted by sloopsailor
I wouldn't be surprised if she also shares her husband's drink package.

.....as soon as she has finished with her early morning chair hogging towel placements, tripling up on breakfast buffet items and not washing her hands after using the restrooms.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Coastal GA USA
21,977 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
I was browsing in a shop once and the owner/saleslady said a woman came in and tried to return a broad brimmed hat she had bought the previous week. the shop owner refused, and pulled out the Sunday paper which had a picture of a large public event and that woman had been caught in the picture wearing the hat! EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Carnival Fascination 10/8/17; Carnival Elation 12/11/17;Carnival Splendor 1/14/18
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Church Point AKA Cajun Country
10,809 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
In 27 cruises we've never had anything stolen but did catch a young couple in our Grand Suite on a Royal Caribbean cruise. They said they were curious about what a suite looked like and decided to look at it. The attendant had just stepped out to get something from the supply closet and left the door open. I often wonder if we had not gone back to the cabin to get something we had forgotten and surprised this couple if they would have "helped" themselves to some of ours and then naturally blamed the cabin attendant.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Rosemarie
Frozen Tundra
8,299 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Never, and we sometimes forget to lock up our valuables. This is certainly a bizarre thing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCI Voyager of the Seas: Feb. 2001 Disney Magic: Dec. 2003 Disney Magic: Feb. 2005 Disney Magic: Dec. 2006
NCL Spirit: New Year's week Dec. 2009-'10 NCL Getaway: May 2014 NCL Epic: Nov. 2014
NCL Escape Transatlantic: Oct. 2015 NCL Escape: May 2016 NCL Breakaway: June 2017
Coming Soon: NCL Escape: May 2018
USA
4,559 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
I'm sorry to hear this has happened to your things and you have probably learned from the experience to make use of the safe in your cabin. You can also put items too large for the safe in a piece of luggage, lock the luggage and put it under the bed.

Since 2013 we have been on 22 cruises and have not had anything come up missing. When traveling anywhere, by any means of transportation, the diamonds and gold stay at home. I would be more concerned of attracting a thief
when I am wearing expensive jewelry than I am of having it stolen from our cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite

2013-2017, 271 nights at sea and counting
Queen Elizabeth January 3-19, 2019 Southampton to Cape Town
Oceania Nautica January 20-February 19, 2019 Cape Town to Singapore
RC Ovation Of The Seas April 17-May 13, 2019 Sydney to Honolulu and Honolulu to Vancouver or......
Golden Princess Sydney to Los Angeles

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
USA
4,559 Posts
Joined Nov 2011
Originally posted by SFloridian
Every human being can be tempted.
That is totally an untrue statement!

You are probably better off at home so you are not around "Every human being".

That statement is disgusting.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
http://www.jeannietx22.com/

Plus
X Elite

2013-2017, 271 nights at sea and counting
Queen Elizabeth January 3-19, 2019 Southampton to Cape Town
Oceania Nautica January 20-February 19, 2019 Cape Town to Singapore
RC Ovation Of The Seas April 17-May 13, 2019 Sydney to Honolulu and Honolulu to Vancouver or......
Golden Princess Sydney to Los Angeles

"The traveler sees what he sees. The tourist sees what he has come to see." -G.K. Chesterton
Muscat/Oman, Abu Dhabi/UAE and Sydney/Australia
888 Posts
Joined May 2011
What an essay by the OP. Obviously looking for sympathy and confirmation that this sort of thing happens all the time. A bit paranoid . Too many people entering your cabin? Well, I would imagine that staff members have better things to do than snooping through cabins and look for costume jewelry or second hand clothes. I bet staffs key cards are coded and every opening of any door with a particular card is recorded. "Stealing " shoes from underneath a deck chair? Not the staff, surely. If I leave my book, Sun glasses, whatever unattended in any public place for any amount of time I risk it going missing. Annoying, but my own fault.
MA-United States
789 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Nope and I leave things out all the time. I left my camera out in the desk this last cruise every day. My jewelry roll was in the top drawer of the desk. I do put my money and passport in the room safe all the time but I’ve never had anything else taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Epic 11-5-2017
Getaway 12-4-2016
Anthem of the Seas 3-4-2016
Allure of the Seas 11-29-2015
Serenade of the Seas 11-29-2014
Grandeur of the Seas 11-1-2013
Las Vegas
11,417 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by buchhalm
What an essay by the OP. Obviously looking for sympathy and confirmation that this sort of thing happens all the time. A bit paranoid . Too many people entering your cabin? Well, I would imagine that staff members have better things to do than snooping through cabins and look for costume jewelry or second hand clothes. I bet staffs key cards are coded and every opening of any door with a particular card is recorded. "Stealing " shoes from underneath a deck chair? Not the staff, surely. If I leave my book, Sun glasses, whatever unattended in any public place for any amount of time I risk it going missing. Annoying, but my own fault.
They sure didn't get any.

DON
United States
71 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
I forgot my Kindle in the laundry room on the Carnival Dream, and it was gone when I went back a few minutes later. That was almost certainly a passenger. And when I first researched cruises a couple of years ago there was a big hoo-rah going on about crew stealing things like cameras out of checked luggage on one of the ships. Can't remember if the perpetrator was caught. So it happens sometimes!

I try to be very cautious in the cabin for everybody's sake -- small valuables and cash in the safe, larger items closed up in closets or suitcases when not being used. And I always put a sticky note on tips so there's no question who they're for.

Sounds like it would be a good idea to add small locks on the checked luggage, not just zip ties. As your experience shows, it's awfully easy for someone to sneak something out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

December 2016 ~~ Carnival Dream
January 2016 ~~ Carnival Elation
Muscat/Oman, Abu Dhabi/UAE and Sydney/Australia
888 Posts
Joined May 2011
"....Sounds like it would be a good idea to add small locks on the checked luggage, not just zip ties. As your experience shows, it's awfully easy for someone to sneak something out.[/quote]

Are you saying that you DON'T use travel padlock to any checked luggage anyway? You check your stuff in unlocked? 😲
Zip ties? As in cable ties from a hardware store?
United States
1,499 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
I stopped locking my bags when I travel, and have not had any issues.

Not that there is anything anyone in their right mind would want to steal in there.
United States
71 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Many people just use zip ties to keep the bags from coming open. As even my elegant night clothes came from the thrift store I never worried about anyone snatching them out of the bag. Jewelry, camera, and meds were in the carry on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

December 2016 ~~ Carnival Dream
January 2016 ~~ Carnival Elation
Wherever there is water, a boat and the wind!
1,333 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by buchhalm
"....Sounds like it would be a good idea to add small locks on the checked luggage, not just zip ties. As your experience shows, it's awfully easy for someone to sneak something out.

Are you saying that you DON'T use travel padlock to any checked luggage anyway? You check your stuff in unlocked? ��
Zip ties? As in cable ties from a hardware store?
Locks are false security. It is easy to access the inside of most luggage using only a pen. Here is a video showing how. In less that a minute, the author opened, accessed, and resealed a suitcase. All with zero indication it was ever opened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JvmAktLvFg

I never lock my luggage. I use zip ties to keep everything from accidentally opening, as I once say happening to a gentleman while retrieving his suitcase off a carousel. He had to scramble to gather up all his belongings as the moving belt tried to carry everything away.

After 50 years of travel and over 40 countries visited, most not on cruises, I have never had anything stolen or found anything not mine inside, other that a notice from TSA. I am of the opinion that thieves will be more attracted to luggage that is locked because it implies there is something valuable inside. They leave the unlocked ones alone since they assume they are most likely only filled with dirty clothing.
SF Bay Area
1,504 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by sloopsailor
...as I once say happening to a gentleman while retrieving his suitcase off a carousel. He had to scramble to gather up all his belongings as the moving belt tried to carry everything away.
Hey that might have been me

One of our suitcases had a blow out, guessing it fell off the wagon and got runned over. Proof: tread marks

Ergo: Luggage Straps
United States
1,499 Posts
Joined Jul 2014
I always love the elaborately locked luggage. That is soft or soft sided. Knife = OPEN.

My colleagues and I travel internationally a LOT. There have been two instances. One was a colleague who put his digital camera in a soft sided (locked) suitcase. The suitcase was cut right at the camera.

The other was a lost luggage situation. This person (who no longer works in my office), was on the phone yelling at the person from our agency in that country. A person who was trying to help him. The luggage turned up 6 weeks later. EMPTY. I always wonder.......

I have had my luggage searched, in some countries. But nothing missing.
14 Miles From Los Angeles Cruise Center
2,430 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
I do not doubt your items are missing. But the amount of people touching your luggage from being put in the hall to you picking it up is quite large. I would suspect the port luggage handlers and fellow pax BEFORE ship's crew.
Decades ago the airline luggage handlers were busted country wide. Almost all had standard luggage keys for all makes on their key rings. I assume if it's going in checked bag, I might not see it again. If I'm taking something of value, it goes as carry-on
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Anything that doesn't kill you,,, just hurts a hell of a lot

Sea Princess 2/2002 Mexico
Star Princess 2/2003 Mexico (2nd time)
Carnival Pride 10/2004 Mexico (3rd time)
Diamond Princess 5/2005 Alaska
Sapphire Princess 12/2005 Mexico (4th time)
Dawn Princess 11/2006 Mexico (5th time)
Caribbean Princess 6/2007 W. Carribean
Golden Princess 11/2007 Mexico (6th time)
Sapphire Princess 11/2008 Mexico (7th time)
Star Princess 6/2009 Alaska
Mariner of the Seas 12/2009 Mexico (8th time)
Sapphire Princess 12/2010 Mexico (9th time)
Coral Princess 10/2011 Trans Panama Canal
Ruby Princess 4/23/2019 Alaska
Largo, FL
325 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by SFloridian
Do you think I would make this up?

I was on the Equinox in October, we didn’t have any issue with anything being stolen. We did however have a problem with our exterior door not latching, & therefore not locking, on our suite. It did get fixed on the 2nd or 3rd day. Even after the repair, we still had to “push” it closed to get it to latch when we left. We also had to remind the staff to do it too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Vickie

Celebrity Equinox – Oct 5 ,2017 – 10 nt Southern Caribbean
Oasis of the Seas – August 5, 2018 – 7 nt Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Reflection – Jan 18, 2019 - 10 nt Ultimate Caribbean
-----------------------------------------------

Brilliance - April 2017 - Caribbean
Allure -March 2017 - Eastern Caribbean (w/kids)
Majesty -June 2016 - Caribbean
Brilliance- January 2016 - Caribbean
Enchantment- January 2015 - Caribbean
Freedom of the Seas - Oct 12, 2014 - Western Caribbean

Oasis of the Seas - Dec 14, 2013(w/kids) -Eastern Caribbean
Allure of the Seas - Jan 9, 2011(w/kids) - Eastern Caribbean
Grandeur of the Seas - March 2010(w/kids) - Mexico
Serenade of the Seas - June 2009(w/kids) - Alaska
Crown Princess - Oct 2008 -E Carib w/hurricane re-route to Mexico & Jamaica
Sensation - Feb 2007 - Western Caribbean
Sensation - Oct 2006 - Western Caribbean
Jewel of the Seas - Sept 2005 -Transatlantic
Disney Wonder - Feb 2004 (w/kids) - Bahamas
Imagination - October 2003 - Western Caribbean
Tropical - August 2000 - Western Caribbean
Ceres California
49 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
On a RC cruise about 10 years ago one person in our group, first time cruiser, decided to put her lap top into her checked bag just before giving it up to the Porters at the dock. When the bag was delivered, the laptop was missing. She immediately reported it. Investigation was in place and the perpetrator was caught on camera before we left port and arrested. So sorry you have had these sad on board experiences, but one has to be alert and always report inappropriate acts.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

[url=http://www.cruisecritic.com][/nnnn
Philly burbs, PA.
11,752 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by cusoon
On a RC cruise about 10 years ago one person in our group, first time cruiser, decided to put her lap top into her checked bag just before giving it up to the Porters at the dock. When the bag was delivered, the laptop was missing. She immediately reported it. Investigation was in place and the perpetrator was caught on camera before we left port and arrested. So sorry you have had these sad on board experiences, but one has to be alert and always report inappropriate acts.

Just to clarify for comparison to the OP's concerns, your issue was with porters who are not ship employees, so the cruise line has nothing to do with your situation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty