Left Luggage in Manhattan - for one day

bluesea777

I have posted this in the East Coast Departures already but am nor sure about the traffic there, so I thought I'd post this here ....

We are in transiting in NYC for one day next April 2018 (Tues 10th). Our flight from Bermuda gets into JFK before 10 a.m. and our next flight to Rome (for a cruise) leaves from EWR at 11pm. Yeppers, 13 hours layover, and 2 different airports.

I googled for left luggage places in the west side of Manhattan (so we can catch cab from JFK and go as far as the west side on fixed cab rate, and then catch a shorter cab ride to EWR in the evening), and came up with Schwartz Luggage Storage on W 37th St at 9th Ave. It is in an ideal location, but I would like to hear of anyone's experience using this place.

Or, if you can recommend another place please let me know.

THANKS!

I would not rule out getting a rental car. You then have transport around town. Place to store bags. And transfer to airport.

You would of course have to DRIVE in NYC. Not for the faint of heart, but done daily by hundreds of thousands of people.

I agree about arranging for a car service from Manhattan to Newark airport.

When making the arrangement, the car company can advise you about a pick up time that would get you to the airport in a comfortable time frame. One must consider rush hour delays ,although you would probably leave for that airport between 7 and 8 PM for an 11 PM flight considering time for check in and security procedure. That would put you past the rush hour time,most likely.

I would certainly not recommend a rental car for driving to and around Manhattan. Dealing with the traffic is very challenging . There is a lot of construction going on in the City,both buildings with both buildings and streets being worked on which causes congestion in the streets and detours.

Also,parking can be expensive in garages,especially those in Midtown.

Actually, it seems to be a long time between arrival at JFK and departure from EWR,but considering logistics,it may not be such a great amount of time spent In the City after all.

Considering getting through customs and baggage retrieval ar JFK, and the drive from JFK into the City to the place for luggage storage on 9th Ave, should take at least two hours ,possibly more depending on the process at the airport and traffic into the City.

Then, before you get the car service to Newark airport,you will have to return to the luggage storage location from wherever you are located.If that entails crosstown transportation, it could take some extra time.

I would consider making doable plans for your activities in the City-do not try to do to much in the time you have between flights.

I do hope that you enjoy your visit to NYC.

It is.my hometown city and I think it is a wonderful,interesting place.

In 2014, we were going to use Schwartz Luggage Storage. Our flight didn't leave until 8:00 pm from Newark. We disembarked the Breakaway at 8:30 am and took a cab to Schwartz's. Our driver could not park directly in front but half way between there and the Double tree by Hilton. The doorman saw us and said he could hold our bags. Being the skeptical small town boy in the big city, I wasn't sure what to do. clear.png?emoji-confused-1977He said the price (it was cheaper) and my wife jumped at it. He secured the luggage in a room with other peoples luggage.

Turned out well, we came back later after a walk around the highline and the chelsea market. As it turned out, the doorman was also a limo driver and he lived in Newark (so he said), so he drove us ( again cheaper than the car service) to the airport. clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927

I looked at the map where both Schwartz is and where the Double tree are and they are on different streets and a block apart. It looks like there is another luggage company where Schwartz was in 2014. By point is maybe give the Double Tree a call and see if they will hold your luggage.

Do not rent a car, even those of us who live right outside the city rarely drive in, traffic is crazy (and I’ve driven in the city hundreds of times and it doesn’t bother me), parking is extremely expensive, heck, so is gas. A car is a hindrance.

We left our bags at Schwartz after our cruise (We took an Uber there) and spent several hours exploring the city. We then retrieved our bags, walked with them a few blocks to the Port Authority bus terminal, and took the Newark express bus to the airport. (We had booked it in advance.) It was economical, comfortable, and a piece of cake to manage and arrange.

[quote name=MJSailors;54638557

Considering getting through customs and baggage retrieval ar JFK' date=' [/quote]

If you're flying from Bermuda, you actually go through customs & immigration in Bermuda, so it's just baggage claims.

I would not rule out getting a rental car. You then have transport around town. Place to store bags. And transfer to airport.

You would of course have to DRIVE in NYC. Not for the faint of heart, but done daily by hundreds of thousands of people.

Sorry, absolutely not. This is a poor choice to consider for anyone wanting "tourist" activities in the city. It's challenging to drive and parking is a big challenge. Especially for those who aren't familiar with this driving and the area. A car rental would only be recommended if, touring was in New Jersey as example. Not for Manhattan.

In 2014, we were going to use Schwartz Luggage Storage. Our flight didn't leave until 8:00 pm from Newark. We disembarked the Breakaway at 8:30 am and took a cab to Schwartz's. Our driver could not park directly in front but half way between there and the Double tree by Hilton. The doorman saw us and said he could hold our bags. Being the skeptical small town boy in the big city, I wasn't sure what to do. clear.png?emoji-confused-1977He said the price (it was cheaper) and my wife jumped at it. He secured the luggage in a room with other peoples luggage.

Turned out well, we came back later after a walk around the highline and the chelsea market. As it turned out, the doorman was also a limo driver and he lived in Newark (so he said), so he drove us ( again cheaper than the car service) to the airport. clear.png?emoji-thumbsup-927

I looked at the map where both Schwartz is and where the Double tree are and they are on different streets and a block apart. It looks like there is another luggage company where Schwartz was in 2014. By point is maybe give the Double Tree a call and see if they will hold your luggage.

This is 3 years old, and this slant was clearly personally motivated by the employee, I highly doubt it is a hotel policy to just accept any bags by non hotel staying guests.

THANK YOU all for your answers and advice - very helpful!

We will cab to Schwartz from JFK, and will order a superShuttle to take us from Schwartz to EWR.

The advice against taking cab to EWR brought back memory when we disembarked the Gem and walked across the avenue to the yellow cab rank and caught one. When we told the driver Newark, he said he wasn't supposed to take us there.

We have been to JFK and NYC Manhattan multiple times before, and wanted advice on the Schwartz, so thanks all for the answers and advice.

Cheers!

THANK YOU all for your answers and advice - very helpful!

We will cab to Schwartz from JFK, and will order a superShuttle to take us from Schwartz to EWR.

The advice against taking cab to EWR brought back memory when we disembarked the Gem and walked across the avenue to the yellow cab rank and caught one. When we told the driver Newark, he said he wasn't supposed to take us there.

We have been to JFK and NYC Manhattan multiple times before, and wanted advice on the Schwartz, so thanks all for the answers and advice.

Cheers!

I still recommend Newark Express to the airport in lieu of Super Shuttle, in case you haven’t checked it out. It will cost less ($16 one way), and no stops along the way to pick up others.

For luggage storage you can also use a service called bagbnb, they have several spots in Manhattan

https://bagbnb.com/luggage-storage/new-york

This looks like a listing of places that might store your luggage if you get lucky and slip the right person a few dollars. a bunch of restaurants and who knows what that toss your stuff into some closet who knows where.

Schwartz Travel, which has been recommended to the OP, is actually in the luggage storage business and has been for many years, with an excellent record for reliability.

I still recommend Newark Express to the airport in lieu of Super Shuttle, in case you haven’t checked it out. It will cost less ($16 one way), and no stops along the way to pick up others.

I second that recommendation. Super Shuttle in NY is not a good way to go.

You are correct, but I still do this quite often. If they are not busy, hotel bell staff will be quite happy to take your bag for a tip - little extra cash in their pocket. That said, since you are not a guest, you have absolutely zero liability protection (not that you have much anyway).

I've also used Schwartz for extended storage and rate them highly - very clean facility, very important in these days of bedbugs...

Also worth noting - if you store your luggage in ANY common area, especially fabric luggage, shopping bags, etc, always use bedbug protocols for further travel.

This is 3 years old, and this slant was clearly personally motivated by the employee, I highly doubt it is a hotel policy to just accept any bags by non hotel staying guests.