Is 19 considered a minor?

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:34 AM.
Green Bay, WI
4,568 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Originally posted by Nebr.cruiser

The 18-21 age group is really in a warp when cruising; too old for the teen club, too young to do most 'adult' things.
Don't understand why you would say this. Although too old for the teen club (rightly so - they are normally out of high school and don't belong with 13-17 year-olds), anyone 18 and over can do anything on board. They can go to shows, bars, nightclubs, enjoy sports activities. The only thing they can't do on a US departing cruise is drink alcohol. Lots of people who are "adults" don't drink alcohol or need alcohol to have a good time.
We live on a small lake in rural Nebr.
7,458 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Very true; I drink rarely myself and never on a cruise. I just think the complaints from this age group tend to be about not being allowed to drink. I notice cruises often have special get-togethers' for the 18-21 group--this age group can of course do most things on the ship, but knowing my 18 year old grandkids (both still in high school), a lot of the venues wouldn't appeal to them and they would rather do things with their own age group.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
SciFi
Seascale,Cumbria,U.K.
5,779 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by Kamloops50
In North America most cruise lines consider anyone under the age of 21 a minor. In Europe the
age is 19 or younger as a minor.
In Europe, the age is 18 years; as an adult no-one can stop you drinking or buying a cruise
BUT...any private organisation can make their own rules, such as car hire, car insurance ... so a cruise line can do the same. After all, Saga cruises don't allow anyone under 50 years on their cruises (unless they're a partner of a 50 yr old...)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jo.
20 cruises; 11 ships; 8 lines; 94 ports
166 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
I think it depends on both itinerary and maritime laws. In Europe, the drinking age is much younger, but when I went to Europe when I was 13, I had to obey the US laws in regards to drinking while onboard the ship...even though the drinking age in Europe at the time was 13.

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Philly burbs, PA.
11,743 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by Nebr.cruiser
When we sailed RCI with grandchildren (they were under 18 though), Royal Caribbean had a form for parental permission on their site available for download. You can also google 'parental permission form for cruises' or something similar and print one off.

The RCI form and probably others did need to be notarized.

The 18-21 age group is really in a warp when cruising; too old for the teen club, too young to do most 'adult' things.
If you are referring to consuming alcohol, there was a time on RCI when there was a consent form for US based sailings permitting wine and beer commencing at age 18 while in international waters. That was changed, however, a number of years ago and no longer is the case.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty
Celebrity Summit
Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Equinox 3/18
Celebrity Reflection 6/18
Celebrity Summit 11/18
Celebrity Solstice 4/19
Upcoming:

Pepsicola FL
10,501 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by sail7seas
Can a 19 year old enlist in the U.S. Military without parent's approval?

If a 19 year old is not a full time student, does a non- cusstodial parent's court ordered child support obligation end?

enlistment age is 18. at 17 you require the 'rents permission. ( and be a high school graduate)

as for Child support, totally depends on state. some are 21, period regardless of status as a student or not. some extend CS as long as the child is a full time student, regardless of age. and some end at 18.

mr spook was on the hook until 21 until stepson enlisted. that ended it at 17. most states also have clauses that end it if the child gets married or moves out of the primary parental home and supports themselves.
Pepsicola FL
10,501 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by cb at sea
Cruise ships don't allow 19 year olds to do anything on their own. Many require you to be 25 to sail alone, unless you're married....stupid rules.
18 is considered ADULT for signing legal documents...yet you can't drink on a cruise (depending on cruise line and destination) without permission..and sometimes, even permission isn't enough.
good gravy are you wrong

first of all the ONLY cruise line that requires someone 25 is CARNIVAL.

hell Disney allows 18 yo to book ( and I wanna say Cunard does as well)
Philly burbs, PA.
11,743 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
Originally posted by spookwife
good gravy are you wrong
Unfortunately this poster usually is.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[SIGPIC]

RCI / Celebrity cruises:
RCI Sovereign
RCI Majesty (twice)
RCI Grandeur (3 times - Maiden voyage +2)
RCI Adventure (3 times)
RCI Voyager
RCI Navigator (twice)
RCI Mariner
RCI Serenade
RCI Jewel
RCI Oasis (twice)
RCI Explorer (twice)
RCI Independence (twice)
RCI Freedom
RCI Allure
RCI Liberty