DH Converts From a Cruise Hater to a Cruise Lover!

April42749

My husband never liked cruising. Every time I wanted to book, we had a disagreement.

Our last land vacation (and there was a cruise involved) was 3 years ago.....Miami and a cruise. Since then it's been all cruising and all his complaining.

We live in NYC and don't have any financial issues. Actually, I think we'd be considered well off. We live right by the cruise terminal...just a short cab ride away.

So, I was trying to book this kind of trip again....a cruise and some time in Miami for February. Well, the cost of the land portion, the cost of the airfare, the transportation to/from airports etc And then, when on the land, you have the cost of food and other entertainment. Oh, and the cost of the cruise. My final estimate was something like 4 times the cost of our last NCL cruise assuming we don't spend very much on the land portion of the trip. I didn't factor in side trips, the necessary jewelry and other misc expenses. It's not the money....it's the value for the money. Bottom line...it would have been much more than 4 times.

And then the logistics of getting the plane, being on the plane, planes clipping wings on take-off (in short, we really don't want to bother with flying).

So, guess who wants to go on a cruise again in February and spring for all the bells and whistles!

My husband never liked cruising. Every time I wanted to book, we had a disagreement.

Our last land vacation (and there was a cruise involved) was 3 years ago.....Miami and a cruise. Since then it's been all cruising and all his complaining.

We live in NYC and don't have any financial issues. Actually, I think we'd be considered well off. We live right by the cruise terminal...just a short cab ride away.

So, I was trying to book this kind of trip again....a cruise and some time in Miami for February. Well, the cost of the land portion, the cost of the airfare, the transportation to/from airports etc And then, when on the land, you have the cost of food and other entertainment. Oh, and the cost of the cruise. My final estimate was something like 4 times the cost of our last NCL cruise assuming we don't spend very much on the land portion of the trip. I didn't factor in side trips, the necessary jewelry and other misc expenses. It's not the money....it's the value for the money. Bottom line...it would have been much more than 4 times.

And then the logistics of getting the plane, being on the plane, planes clipping wings on take-off (in short, we really don't want to bother with flying).

So, guess who wants to go on a cruise again in February and spring for all the bells and whistles!

We are spending a couple days in Ft. Lauderdale in a hotel on Los Olas Blvd. prior to our Escape cruise out of Miami. You may want to consider something along those lines. I agree with two wheels up about cruising in a Haven suite.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our husbands are twins!!!

We got married in 2007, I begged him to go on a cruise for 5 years before he agreed! We had both been on cruises before and enjoyed them but for some reason he would never commit. In the past, his company took their top producers on a trip every year but thanks to a certain hurricane that hit our area they stopped and had not started back up again. 2012 rolls around and they announced that they’re going to do a trip for top producers! I was on a business trip, literally on the OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD, and get a text asking me if I want to go on a cruise. I asked what kind of question was that, he told me he had qualified for the free trip. I, very quickly might I add, jumped on the computer, ordered a copy of my birth certificate so that it would be waiting when I got home from my trip, filled out my passport application and submitted it the day after I got home before he could change his mind and say we weren’t going.

That started the bug and we’ve done 2 cruises since and have 2 more booked in the next 6 months!!!

OP, there's a 14 day Southern Caribbean on Breakaway from NYC in Feb 2018 ... this looks great and you do not need to fly and stay in Miami.

Feb 2-16, 2018 and the cruise includes the ABC islands as well as the 3 lessor Southern Caribbean islands (i.e. the ones not on the regular "milk-runs").

Too good to skip!

Our husbands are twins!!!

We got married in 2007, I begged him to go on a cruise for 5 years before he agreed! We had both been on cruises before and enjoyed them but for some reason he would never commit. In the past, his company took their top producers on a trip every year but thanks to a certain hurricane that hit our area they stopped and had not started back up again. 2012 rolls around and they announced that they’re going to do a trip for top producers! I was on a business trip, literally on the OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD, and get a text asking me if I want to go on a cruise. I asked what kind of question was that, he told me he had qualified for the free trip. I, very quickly might I add, jumped on the computer, ordered a copy of my birth certificate so that it would be waiting when I got home from my trip, filled out my passport application and submitted it the day after I got home before he could change his mind and say we weren’t going.

That started the bug and we’ve done 2 cruises since and have 2 more booked in the next 6 months!!!

Lovely story, but mmmm, you were on business trip on the "other side of the world" without a passport??

Again, lovely story though.

OP, there's a 14 day Southern Caribbean on Breakaway from NYC in Feb 2018 ... this looks great and you do not need to fly and stay in Miami.

Feb 2-16, 2018 and the cruise includes the ABC islands as well as the 3 lessor Southern Caribbean islands (i.e. the ones not on the regular "milk-runs").

Too good to skip!

We'll probably do this one.

Think:

Going on the BA-I go downstairs and hail a cab. For less than $20 I'm at my destination in a few minutes (with no traffic maybe 10 minutes). I can leave my apt at 10 am or 2pm....whenever I want, and I'd be there on time.

Going out of Miami-The cost to the airport alone is $75, and then there's the cost of everything else and the stress of everything else. Even if I flew there "the morning of" I'd have to leave my apt at about 5am to get an early flight.

So...in discussing with DH this morning: What is the difference between a sea day on the ship and a day in Florida? This specific BA sailing has 6 sea days...that's a lot!

On the ship I know I can get my "healthy diet" and I have the gym. There are always people around and always music or walking....or someone trying to get me to buy Mohammad Ali's boxer shorts. In other words...always something to do and people to be with. My healthy lifestyle would not be in jeopardy.

In Miami-finding somewhere to eat and I know I wouldn't have unlimited vegetables. I know I wouldn't have my almond milk. And, most of the places don't have gyms. So, we'd end up spending the day walking around and paying a lot of money to do so. (I've been there several times so it wouldn't be a novelty port.) And my healthy lifestyle might not be so healthy. OK...the beach. But, we only sit on the beach for about 30 minutes a day.

We even discussed "what we did" the last time we were in Florida, and it came down to "just about nothing" that would be better than sitting on the ship for a sea day.

So, DH meekishly said "Ok, I'll join you for 2 weeks at sea".

My wife had to almost twist my arm off in 2012 for a cruise that I did not want to go on. Once I got on the ship, I was hooked and did not want to get off. Next week will be our 20th cruise and we are hooked!

My husband was extremely reluctant to go on our first cruise. But we agreed that if he could get a boat, I could get a cruise. Agreed, and we booked a cruise. On the first night, around midnight, walking on the promenade deck with that ocean wind he says to me: "If we sell the boat do you think we can do this again?"....and so it goes!

Lovely story, but mmmm, you were on business trip on the "other side of the world" without a passport??

May be her definition of "other side of the world" is East coast vs west coast. :D

Same like NBA, NFL winner called world champion. :D

We'll probably do this one.

Think:

Going on the BA-I go downstairs and hail a cab. For less than $20 I'm at my destination in a few minutes (with no traffic maybe 10 minutes). I can leave my apt at 10 am or 2pm....whenever I want, and I'd be there on time.

Going out of Miami-The cost to the airport alone is $75, and then there's the cost of everything else and the stress of everything else. Even if I flew there "the morning of" I'd have to leave my apt at about 5am to get an early flight.

So...in discussing with DH this morning: What is the difference between a sea day on the ship and a day in Florida? This specific BA sailing has 6 sea days...that's a lot!

On the ship I know I can get my "healthy diet" and I have the gym. There are always people around and always music or walking....or someone trying to get me to buy Mohammad Ali's boxer shorts. In other words...always something to do and people to be with. My healthy lifestyle would not be in jeopardy.

In Miami-finding somewhere to eat and I know I wouldn't have unlimited vegetables. I know I wouldn't have my almond milk. And, most of the places don't have gyms. So, we'd end up spending the day walking around and paying a lot of money to do so. (I've been there several times so it wouldn't be a novelty port.) And my healthy lifestyle might not be so healthy. OK...the beach. But, we only sit on the beach for about 30 minutes a day.

We even discussed "what we did" the last time we were in Florida, and it came down to "just about nothing" that would be better than sitting on the ship for a sea day.

So, DH meekishly said "Ok, I'll join you for 2 weeks at sea".

Great to hear you're considering the 14 day cruise. Don't fret about the sea days - there are plenty of things to do on the ship - you'll need to find time to be bored!!

We have been on 5 Transatlantic cruises - lots of sea days - and we loved them. Two months ago we were on the Getaway (which is Breakaway's sister ship) for 14 days TA and had great time. Each day the dailies were full of activities ... so you two will be fine!

ENJOY!!!

P.S. may I recommend you get a mini-suite - best bathroom - great big shower!

Years ago on a Disney cruise, I met a man whose wife MADE him go on the cruise. He was so miserable. It was a family cruise for him, wife and the two kids. We struck up a conversation at the pool bar and he bought me a few drinks. Nice dude! But he told me his whole life story, to include his hatred of the cruise! I felt bad for the man! Every time I saw him, no matter what time of day or night, no matter where we were on the ship, he wanted to buy me a drink. One morning, it was about 10am, I wandered onto the pool deck and sure enough, there he was at the pool bar! He saw me and ordered me a drink! C’mon man! I could still taste the bacon I had for breakfast. This man was so miserable. I spent more time with him than his wife did!! Lol! I don’t think he enjoyed the cruise and would’ve much rather stayed home.

(I have ZERO point in telling this story, other than it’s about a husband who didn’t like cruising)! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn’t have a personal passport. I was traveling in official capacity so yes, I was on the other side of the world without a personal passport.

:'):') I caught that, too. Great story though, even if it's made up.

Definitely not made up. I was traveling on a red passport and didn’t have a personal (blue) passport and was in the Philippines when I got the text. Didn’t realize I needed to specify the documents I was traveling on when I tell a story on CC.

Years ago on a Disney cruise, I met a man whose wife MADE him go on the cruise. He was so miserable. It was a family cruise for him, wife and the two kids. We struck up a conversation at the pool bar and he bought me a few drinks. Nice dude! But he told me his whole life story, to include his hatred of the cruise! I felt bad for the man! Every time I saw him, no matter what time of day or night, no matter where we were on the ship, he wanted to buy me a drink. One morning, it was about 10am, I wandered onto the pool deck and sure enough, there he was at the pool bar! He saw me and ordered me a drink! C’mon man! I could still taste the bacon I had for breakfast. This man was so miserable. I spent more time with him than his wife did!! Lol! I don’t think he enjoyed the cruise and would’ve much rather stayed home.

(I have ZERO point in telling this story, other than it’s about a husband who didn’t like cruising)! [emoji23]

That’s awful!

My uncle has some weird grey or black passport or something like that. Not the regular blue US passport. When he goes abroad, he doesn't have to go through normal immigration. If his family is with him, they have to go through regular immigration like the regular public but he's through in like 10 seconds. Not sure what it is. It sounds like a diplomat situation except he doesn't work for the government. But the continent he goes to seems to think he basically represents the US and the US seems to think he represents a major country on that other continent. No point other than to say some people have weird travel documents.

I see his point, it would have been cheaper and less problems to just stay home and drink.