Overpowering perfume and cologne.

On a land trip a man asked me to not wear perfume because it bothered him. I asked him to use deodorant because his lack of deodorant bothered me. I needed the perfume to cover up his smell. Also used perfume in Antarctica to cover up the smell of the penguins.

I would suggest that those of you with perfume/cologne allergies to speak with an allergist and see if you can have shots to overcome the allergy as it must be horrible to attempt to keep away from everyone that wears it. In a perfect world, no one would smoke or wear perfume but since we don't live in a perfect world, I hope that there are treatments for these allergies.

Some use the word allergy to simplify the conversation. Much of the time, the issue is not allergies per se, but what the scents trigger. Perfumes and/or cigarette smoke can trigger asthma and migraines, among other things. There are rescue inhalers for the former and sumatriptan and similar drugs for the latter as after-the-fact treatments, but they are less than ideal (side effects; not always fully effective; or take a while to take effect).

Most people apply scents reasonably--it should never be more than just a hint of something in the air. But some, particularly the young (who haven't learned better yet) and those of us with quite a few birthdays behind us (like hearing and eyesight, our olfactory sense often gets weaker with age), at times unknowingly apply too much.

We can ask that staff, particularly serving staff and most particularly room service and cabin personnel, avoid heavy scents. For our fellow passengers, we can only rely on awareness and courtesy. And hope that they will not take it personally if others leave their company until the scent fades.

Some use the word allergy to simplify the conversation. Much of the time, the issue is not allergies per se, but what the scents trigger. Perfumes and/or cigarette smoke can trigger asthma and migraines, among other things. There are rescue inhalers for the former and sumatriptan and similar drugs for the latter as after-the-fact treatments, but they are less than ideal (side effects; not always fully effective; or take a while to take effect).

Most people apply scents reasonably--it should never be more than just a hint of something in the air. But some, particularly the young (who haven't learned better yet) and those of us with quite a few birthdays behind us (like hearing and eyesight, our olfactory sense often gets weaker with age), at times unknowingly apply too much.

We can ask that staff, particularly serving staff and most particularly room service and cabin personnel, avoid heavy scents. For our fellow passengers, we can only rely on awareness and courtesy. And hope that they will not take it personally if others leave their company until the scent fades.

Thank you for the explanation - it helps to know!

S.O. has real problems when around perfume and colognes and I really don't like it.

We have asked to be moved before because of it.

I agree with Travel Cat I thought wearing the stuff was a thing of the past? If not should be.

We only have one friend that can't help themselves and still wears perfume.

Rest of us do let her know but in a polite way.

Anyone else have an issue at any RSSC dining venue...when someone sits near to you...reeking of perfume or cologne? Do you just sit there and not taste your food? Move to another table? Just leave? What if it is the server who overdosed on the smelly stuff? This may seem trivial to some, and please don’t bash me, but this happens quite often at dinner, and I truly would like some suggestions other than breathing through my sleeves. Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not so much perfume but on Oceania I've seen staff ignore the dress code and let people into the restaurant who were still sweating from the gym (and in sweaty clothing). For some reason that was OK but the rhinestone studded jeans were not. Dress sweats perhaps.:confused:

Got2cruise,

I have been surprised to read so many people say that they and their friends have ceased wearing scents. This has not been my experience in the metropolitan NY area..not socially and certainly not in the major dept. stores that have entire floors dedicated to scents and cosmetics..and send out catalogs dedicated to same.

I am very respectful of guests and friends who have allergies and will modify my menus accordingly. One friend is allergic to seafood, another to strawberries and a few other fruits. I do not find it reasonable that the world should relinquish these items. Also, we need to be careful to not confuse ‘don’t care for’ from an actual allergy.

I disagree that fragrances are out of style. Quite the contrary. Men’s body sprays take over shelves and there are huge counters in all the major department stores for the designer fragrances for women.

My perspective may be different simply based on where we live. Also, department stores here are barely making it (we live in a small town but get thousands of Canadians shopping here every month). Yes - they have tons of fragrances for men and women but I rarely see anyone shopping in that area. Admittedly, I gave up shopping in department stores and malls for the most part but still visit Macy's occasionally.

I do enjoy when a man wear a nice fragrance but, In my opinion, when you in an area where you are close to others (theaters, elevators, etc.) the clashing fragrances can be a bit much. Also, some people wear deodorant with a scent, powder or body lotion with a scent and top it off with perfume/cologne. So, yes - I've given up perfume but products on my body do have a fragrance - just very mild - not enough to invade the space of others.

We had to leave a performance of “Love Never Dies” last night after 30 minutes. I had a severe allergic reaction to the perfume on several women seated around us. Never happened before. Not sure why it has to be applied so liberally. We have not noticed this problem on our Regent cruises; guess we will now.

I can stand people wearing perfume but if I can smell them as they walk by at a distance they're using too much. I'm allergic to alot of different perfumes (instant headache) but doesn't bother me if it is faint.

I am a Regent perfume user. In very small amounts. When we were on the Explorer in October, we had an unfortunate experience. As we were sitting down at a table for 6 in Pacific Rim, we were told by someone at the table we would have to move. She did not like perfume and refused to sit with us. We were accommodated at another table and had a wonderful evening. My DH let her know as we left how rude she was. Management apologized profusely.

Why on earth sit at a group table if there is a chance you will feel threatened by another guest. Ridiculous. There are many private tables that could keep someone secluded. Tired of the snowflake mentality pervasive today.

Whew! Sorry, just had to get that experience off my chest.

I am a Regent perfume user. In very small amounts. When we were on the Explorer in October, we had an unfortunate experience. As we were sitting down at a table for 6 in Pacific Rim, we were told by someone at the table we would have to move. She did not like perfume and refused to sit with us. We were accommodated at another table and had a wonderful evening. My DH let her know as we left how rude she was. Management apologized profusely.

Why on earth sit at a group table if there is a chance you will feel threatened by another guest. Ridiculous. There are many private tables that could keep someone secluded. Tired of the snowflake mentality pervasive today.

Whew! Sorry, just had to get that experience off my chest.

Definitely a rude person. If the person at the table had a problem with perfume, they could have politely taken the maitre 'd aside and asked to be reseated (politely and in a way that was not insensitive). There is no excuse for rudeness - anywhere!

Edited by Travelcat2

Perfume and people with severe allergies can have a reaction. In our doctors office a sign asking for no perfume to be worn is posted. I am highly allergic to perfume. When I was young I wore it all the time but now I can’t be around it.

Perfume and people with severe allergies can have a reaction. In our doctors office a sign asking for no perfume to be worn is posted. I am highly allergic to perfume. When I was young I wore it all the time but now I can’t be around it.

I do think that people should be considerate of those around them. While I no longer wear perfume (for the reasons mentioned on this thread), that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy some fragrances. I don't notice perfume much on Regent ships but definitely noticed an extremely strong smell of mosquito repellent when a group of us were in an elevator in an area where there are mosquitos.

I do think that people should be considerate of those around them. While I no longer wear perfume (for the reasons mentioned on this thread), that doesn't mean that I don't enjoy some fragrances. I don't notice perfume much on Regent ships but definitely noticed an extremely strong smell of mosquito repellent when a group of us were in an elevator in an area where there are mosquitos.

Elevators are the worst place to be. People may not know this but you can buy mosquitoe spray without that horrible smell.

I started this post for suggestions on what to do if an overperfumed person sat near me. My favorite word is KINDNESS. No one should be rude, snarky, or downright mean to anyone. My second fav word is consideration...and we could all go with the golden rule. Thanks for those that offered a reasonable remedy. Let’s please close this post now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums