Who would you have picked for NS Godmother?

haladdict

Not saying that they're not entitled to their opinion but their constant whinging about everything(not just Oprah) is.. *thumbs down* You want me to REALLY get into it?I could comment on grammar,syntax, etc(I see so much of it) but I won't.

From the Guidelines:

Spelling & Grammar Errors

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people may have learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Yes, yes. I wasn't going to.

But ... you did :)

There is certain irony to my being called negative in a number of my posts. There was a lengthy block of time when I was slammed for being a HAL 'cheerleader' Wi th all the perfect critics here, there is no pleasing many of the people much of the time. B eing called 'cheerleader' was to some people, the perfect insult. )

It all comes down to who cares??

There are some here who make their feelings about Oprah known..a LOT.:confused:

And some here who speak of that a LOT. :D

When a thread is s tarted, that is the subject about which we speak in that thread.

My vote would go to Lisa Lutoff, the CEO of Celebrity. IMHO she has done more to promote business for HAL the past couple of years than anyone else.
Hilarious ? How bout great comment .

I would pick one of the following:

1. Nina Hagen

2. Dalida (posthumous)

3. Gloria Gaynor

4. Dame Edna

All fine with me after Oprah . I hear the dog whistles re O and what I hear is ,some of my best friends .....:(

wow I am surprised the HOST has not intervened and closed this thread.

At first I was thinking - wow Oprah is conquering cruising. Then again she did a cruise to Alaska and praised HAL and the cruise line. Then she decided to involve herself even more. Then HAL decided to award her Grandmother status of the new ship. In the end it was HAL decision and I get it. What I don't get is all the negative and mean spirited comments. HOST, tear down this thread................bye bye

At first I was thinking - wow Oprah is conquering cruising. Then again she did a cruise to Alaska and praised HAL and the cruise line. Then she decided to involve herself even more. Then HAL decided to award her Grandmother status of the new ship. In the end it was HAL decision and I get it. What I don't get is all the negative and mean spirited comments. HOST, tear down this thread................bye bye

Isn’t this a message board full of opinions? Unless comments were deleted before I read them, I haven’t seen anything all that offensive. It is a fact that some like oprah, some don’t. Some like our current President, some don’t. Some liked our former President, some did not.

Isn’t this a message board full of opinions? Unless comments were deleted before I read them, I haven’t seen anything all that offensive. It is a fact that some like oprah, some don’t. Some like our current President, some don’t. Some liked our former President, some did not.

It's much better lately, but I found posts 76 and 79 offensive. JMO, but I find it offensive when a whole country is bashed...apparently it's acceptable now on CC though. :confused:

It's much better lately, but I found posts 76 and 79 offensive. JMO, but I find it offensive when a whole country is bashed...apparently it's acceptable now on CC though. :confused:

I don’t remember which thread but I did see a fair amount of country bashing. I read it, mentally noted who wrote it and moved on to the next comment.

I read quite a few message boards and blogs about all sorts of topics. Cruise critic is pretty mild.

Then I would suggest that you put the authors of posts 76 and 79 on your "ignore" list. Otherwise, proceed at your own risk but do realize that other folks have opinions that may clash with your views of the perfect world.

Then I would suggest that you put the authors of posts 76 and 79 on your "ignore" list. Otherwise, proceed at your own risk but do realize that other folks have opinions that may clash with your views of the perfect world.

Oh I realize that, but thanks for the advice. (my views of the perfect world?) Just civility from one country to another would be nice.

See what you did? You went and resurrected this thread from page 2 and now look at it...going strong again. C'mon man!

Oh I realize that, but thanks for the advice. (my views of the perfect world?) Just civility from one country to another would be nice.

Yes, you are right, civility would be nice but it seems that in today's world, people cannot even agree on a common acceptable definition of that word. Hopefully, we will get there one day.

As far as we are concerned Oprah is as good a choice as anyone else for this hollow exercise.

Really, what does it matter who they name? Will it make a difference to our future cruise? No.

I fully expect panties to get in bunches when the godmother to the next ship after the NS is announced.

He/she willl get bashed because they're too famous/political/not associated with the Dutch Royal Family(am I missing any out-delete as applicable-or not.)

Go figure. What is so special about the Dutch royal family?

HAL may have Dutch roots but lets face it this is far in the past. HAL is nothing more than one of the many cruise lines owned by a huge corporation by the name of Carnival.

A corporation that brought HAL out of certain bankruptcy and probable extinction when the HAL was failing and unable to raise dime one to replace their aging fleet.

Many on this forum complain about HAL's parent Carnival Corp but they fail acknowledge that without Carnival Corp there would be no HAL. Sentiment has it's place but there also has to be room for reality.

Yes, you are right, civility would be nice but it seems that in today's world, people cannot even agree on a common acceptable definition of that word. Hopefully, we will get there one day.
Another case of "credit where credit is due"... I agree completely. I recall a recent sermon at church which posited that incivility generally stems from a too-narrow scope of what one considers acceptable in others, leading to viewing the "other" as "less". The more people can set aside preconceived notions about how others should be and instead view others, as they are, as equally worthy, despite differences in values, mores, and affinities, the more civil their interchanges become.

I fully expect panties to get in bunches when the godmother to the next ship after the NS is announced.
Perhaps. We can be hopeful though; as I relayed yesterday, ten years ago the divisiveness in the forum was centered around concerns that are not even mentioned today (except by me, in the context of "concerns that are no longer mentioned" <g>). Those whose "panties ... get in bunches" aren't "stuck" where they are - they just accept change slower than normal. It may seem that way more so with this cruise line than another comparable cruise line, but it's a marginal, and probably temporary, difference.

There is no future ship under construction, is there?
"Holland America Line's new ship will be built at Fincantieri's shipyard in Marghera, Italy, with an expected delivery in 2021, ..." https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/16271-carnival-orders-ships-for-princess-and-holland-america.html

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.