Excursions in Hawaii

Me again with another excursion question!!

At the moment, despite calling at Honolulu, there are no excursions, free or paid for, to Pearl Harbour.

We don't sail until January, so my question is, are more excursions liable to be added as time ticks by [only 5 tours listed for Honolulu] or am I better looking for an independent tour as a visit to Pearl Harbour is the only thing my dear husband has said is a must for him?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Boatman's Lady,

I'll be in Honolulu in July and am taking a tour to Pearl Harbor - another cruise line.

I'm also on the WC as well.

Yes, I know the Arizona Memorial is closed - I'll let you know how my tour goes. From what I read, we won't go to the big white building over the Arizona but we will take a boat ride around the area/have a description and will also see the movie etc in another area. I'm not concerned.

I'm sure more tours will be added over time. And Honolulu seems like a likely place. My suggestion: Ask your Travel Agent to keep on top of it and let you know.

Peggy

I believe you can still take a boat trip around the Arizona Memorial. I recommend that you visit the Missouri, the Pacific Air Museum, and particularly the submarine USS Bowfin tour.

You can just take a taxi (or Lyft/Uber if they have that) from and to the pier...

I am from Honolulu and coincidentally I worked for Alfred Yee who was the Architect who designed the memorial. I am sure he has gone to the great beyond but would be dismayed that it is eroding. As you may know I have personally be on and around the Memorial many times in many different situations, especially since my former husband was a Submarine Officer stationed at Pearl.

I would say to you, go to The Arizona. It is still very touching. Even on the tours that do not go on the memorial you can see the oil slicks and feel the feeling. The memorial is there and you can see in up close. Being on it, it is only a long hallway with a large memorial at the front with the names engraved. I believe you can get a peek a boo view from the other tour ships.

Go for it.

Thank you all for your replies and TC, thanks for the link, but it brings up a message that it is unsupported in Europe!! but I have been able to access other articles about the closing of the memorial.

Up to your replies, I hadn't heard about the closing of the memorial.

xvrlcruiser, I will look forward to you reporting back from your experience in July and I hope to meet you in January.

Caroldoll, thank you for the reassurances and if Regent don't add any tours, we will look to do it independently.

I believe you can still take a boat trip around the Arizona Memorial. I recommend that you visit the Missouri, the Pacific Air Museum, and particularly the submarine USS Bowfin tour.

You can just take a taxi (or Lyft/Uber if they have that) from and to the pier...

Yes, this is the easiest and most practical way to go. You can spend as much or little time as you want.

You can buy all the tickets online.

We did this in April and it was great.

I second Commodore 2010 suggestion!

We have cruised to Honolulu 3 times and flown once. We have gone to the Pearl Harbor Museum three times and to the Battleship Missouri once. We either rented a self drive car, a car and driver or took a taxi, doing our own tour, really no need for a guide since you speak English. There is a city bus stop at the port, with a bus that has a stop at Pearl Harbor, so that is another option.

Definitely go to both Pearl Harbor and then over to the Missouri if time allows...they are across the Harbor from each other and the Missouri is close to the Arizona Memorial. On one of our trips, the boats were not running as the water was too choppy due to wind, but it was still a great trip as there is a lot to see and you can see the Memorial from the land.

We were there in Jan '18 on the Navigator, but did something else.

Below is a copy of the tour that was offered by Regent then. Now the boat trip is just a ride out to and around the Arizona...but that would till be very moving especially if it is your first time.

Pearl Harbor & City Highlights ~5 ½ hours

Relive moments in history with a visit to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial during this tour that concludes with a view of the city's most notable landmarks.

Traveling by coach from the pier, you will first visit the Arizona Memorial Visitors Center where you will view a film that depicts the events of the 1941 attack. Afterwards, board a Navy launch for the short ride to the Memorial itself, where you'll disembark for an unforgettable and thoroughly moving experience. ( My comment-This will be whatever boat ride is being offered in Jan if the Arizona is still closed.)

Your tour continues with a drive through the Punchbowl Crater where you can experience the serenity of the Punchbowl National Cemetery, viewing from your coach the "Courts of the Missing," the chapel and detailed mosaic maps of the Pacific theaters in action in World War II and Korea.

From Pearl Harbor, you will have a guided drive through Honolulu City’s highlights. See Aloha Stadium, the downtown district, Chinatown, the Kawaiahao Church, the City Hall, the State Capitol, the Governor’s Mansion and Iolani Palace, the former residence of Hawaii’s last two monarchs. Continue on for a drive through of Punchbowl, home to a National Cemetery honoring the fallen of World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam War.

Following your city tour, your coach will return you back to the pier where your tour concludes.

Please note: This tour includes approximately 2 hours of easy walking/standing. The tour is available to wheelchair guests who have a collapsible wheelchair, are able to make their own way on and off the coach and have a companion to assist them. Those guests with mobility concerns are cautioned to evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability. Light-weight, casual clothing; sun caps; sunglasses; sunscreen and flat comfortable walking shoes are suggested. Swim suits and tank tops are not permitted on the Arizona Memorial. No bags are allowed within the Arizona Memorial Visitor Center. The "No Bag Policy" requires that all bags larger than a hand held radio; approximately 1-1/2 x 2-1/4 x 5-1/2 inches will be directed to the paid storage facility (an additional charge not included in price of tour). Camera (digital & video) without carry case, medication case (prescription only) and bottled water are permitted.

USS Missouri

General Douglas MacArthur accepted the official surrender of Japan in September 1945 on board the USS Missouri, also affectionately known as the "Mighty Mo". The ship has been magnificently restored and remains in Pearl Harbor.

You will be in awe with the history steeped upon this mightiest of battleships. Even younger generations will be impressed by the sheer size and capabilities of this vessel. It seems that virtually everyone's personal history is touched in some way, by the significance of this vessel.

The Battleship Missouri Memorial is a living museum that offers visitors a glimpse of the past and the experience of being aboard a ship that is alive with history as well as modern technology. The Missouri educates and entertains with exhibits, memorabilia and activities that give you a sense of what life at sea was like aboard the world's last and most celebrated battleship.

A mere ship-length away from the Arizona Memorial, the Mighty Mo dazzles visitors from around the world with her sheer size, impact, and influence, creating strong sentiments and eliciting feelings of nostalgia.

I second Commodore 2010 suggestion!

We have cruised to Honolulu 3 times and flown once. We have gone to the Pearl Harbor Museum three times and to the Battleship Missouri once. We either rented a self drive car, a car and driver or took a taxi, doing our own tour, really no need for a guide since you speak English. There is a city bus stop at the port, with a bus that has a stop at Pearl Harbor, so that is another option.

Definitely go to both Pearl Harbor and then over to the Missouri if time allows...they are across the Harbor from each other and the Missouri is close to the Arizona Memorial. On one of our trips, the boats were not running as the water was too choppy due to wind, but it was still a great trip as there is a lot to see and you can see the Memorial from the land.

We were there in Jan '18 on the Navigator, but did something else.

Below is a copy of the tour that was offered by Regent then. Now the boat trip is just a ride out to and around the Arizona...but that would till be very moving especially if it is your first time.

Pearl Harbor & City Highlights ~5 ½ hours

Relive moments in history with a visit to Pearl Harbor and the Arizona Memorial during this tour that concludes with a view of the city's most notable landmarks.

Traveling by coach from the pier, you will first visit the Arizona Memorial Visitors Center where you will view a film that depicts the events of the 1941 attack. Afterwards, board a Navy launch for the short ride to the Memorial itself, where you'll disembark for an unforgettable and thoroughly moving experience. ( My comment-This will be whatever boat ride is being offered in Jan if the Arizona is still closed.)

Your tour continues with a drive through the Punchbowl Crater where you can experience the serenity of the Punchbowl National Cemetery, viewing from your coach the "Courts of the Missing," the chapel and detailed mosaic maps of the Pacific theaters in action in World War II and Korea.

From Pearl Harbor, you will have a guided drive through Honolulu City’s highlights. See Aloha Stadium, the downtown district, Chinatown, the Kawaiahao Church, the City Hall, the State Capitol, the Governor’s Mansion and Iolani Palace, the former residence of Hawaii’s last two monarchs. Continue on for a drive through of Punchbowl, home to a National Cemetery honoring the fallen of World War II, the Korean War and Vietnam War.

Following your city tour, your coach will return you back to the pier where your tour concludes.

Please note: This tour includes approximately 2 hours of easy walking/standing. The tour is available to wheelchair guests who have a collapsible wheelchair, are able to make their own way on and off the coach and have a companion to assist them. Those guests with mobility concerns are cautioned to evaluate their personal level of stamina and ability. Light-weight, casual clothing; sun caps; sunglasses; sunscreen and flat comfortable walking shoes are suggested. Swim suits and tank tops are not permitted on the Arizona Memorial. No bags are allowed within the Arizona Memorial Visitor Center. The "No Bag Policy" requires that all bags larger than a hand held radio; approximately 1-1/2 x 2-1/4 x 5-1/2 inches will be directed to the paid storage facility (an additional charge not included in price of tour). Camera (digital & video) without carry case, medication case (prescription only) and bottled water are permitted.

USS Missouri

General Douglas MacArthur accepted the official surrender of Japan in September 1945 on board the USS Missouri, also affectionately known as the "Mighty Mo". The ship has been magnificently restored and remains in Pearl Harbor.

You will be in awe with the history steeped upon this mightiest of battleships. Even younger generations will be impressed by the sheer size and capabilities of this vessel. It seems that virtually everyone's personal history is touched in some way, by the significance of this vessel.

The Battleship Missouri Memorial is a living museum that offers visitors a glimpse of the past and the experience of being aboard a ship that is alive with history as well as modern technology. The Missouri educates and entertains with exhibits, memorabilia and activities that give you a sense of what life at sea was like aboard the world's last and most celebrated battleship.

A mere ship-length away from the Arizona Memorial, the Mighty Mo dazzles visitors from around the world with her sheer size, impact, and influence, creating strong sentiments and eliciting feelings of nostalgia.

Thank you. Will hang fire and see if Regent do add any tours, if not seems as though it is easy to do ourselves and still well worth going and I will have a happy DH.