RestRooms

DoubleDeuce

On the ship, I'm sure restrooms beyond in your own cabin are more than readily available, but off the ship and in port, whether doing an excursion or on your own, is it easy or difficult to find a public restroom if needed? I will be in Grand Turk, Nassau, and Ocho Rios if that helps...

Thanks all!!

And off the beaten path....the restrooms you will be able to find may be, how can I say this delicately, ummmm, not up to your cleaniliness standards.?. Happened to me in Mexico and I really really had to go, so I plugged my nose, squatted over the toilet (refused to sit on it) and did what I needed to do. No sink to wash hands was there, so went and borrowed some antseptic wipes to clean my hands.

OMG! You just reminded me of our trip to Christmas Island. We took the "tour" and I use the word loosely, to the local hotel. I really had to go to the bathroom and they DID have a public one. I walked in, looked at the bathroom and turned around and walked out. I was sure I could wait until we finished our tour, got back to the port, took the 45 minute tender back to the ship and then back to our room. There was no way I was using that hotel bathroom. Gosh golly, my husband was fine with it. :rolleyes:

Men have much lower standards than we women do.....because if they just have to do one thing, they do not have to sit! And they think nothing of whipping it out outdoors to relieve themselves if they are out of public view. :p In fact, my cousin told me that it is a rite of passage for little boys to relieve themselves outside of a restroom....go figure! :D

Men have much lower standards than we women do.....because if they just have to do one thing, they do not have to sit! And they think nothing of whipping it out outdoors to relieve themselves if they are out of public view. :p In fact, my cousin told me that it is a rite of passage for little boys to relieve themselves outside of a restroom....go figure! :D

Just this weekend I was telling my 8 YO grandson that boys have it easy. I said, think about it, if you have to go to the bathroom in a forest boys can just stand there and do it. But us girls, we have to squat, on bushes and then find a fern to wipe with and hope we don't get poison ivy. A few hours later my DGS says to his mom, ya, us boys have it easy... not like you girls who have to pee in a forest. My DD had NO clue what he was talking about LOL but he clearly gave it some thought and decided it was cool to be a boy.

And yes, my DH used the bathroom and I had to hold it!

Obviously the main reason for male superiority.:rolleyes:

My wife "unloads" everything she can before we leave the ship and in some ports she will somehow not go again until back on the ship. I understand and when I use a toilet in port I must give her a review, just in case. Worse case if only having to urinate is to wade out into the ocean to waist deep and go. You won't be the only one.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

Ugh this reminds me of our excursion in Jamaica to the Appleton Rum Estate (excellent excursion!). I had to pee so bad on the way back. They don't just have rest stops on their mountain roads. I finally decided I couldn't hold it any longer. Our bus driver ended up stopping at a tax collector's office. I will never forget that experience!

Restrooms are generally not that difficult to come by in those port cities, however they will not likely be up to the standards you are used to. I strongly suggest carrying "Charmin-2-Go" and a travel pack of wipes, plus hand sanitizer, as the facilities might not be much more than an outhouse.

I'd rather have them be like parts of Europe where they aren't that difficult to find, but... often they require a small fee 1 Euro or so, although they are generally attended and fairly clean.

I stop drinking coffee/tea an hour before we're scheduled to leave the ship and make sure I go just before getting off.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=EYlDbv7MqE8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DEYlDbv7MqE8

Being a guy, having to pee isn't really a big deal. However, I have had more, um, "pressing" matters a time or two due to nature of the spicy and authentic foods in some places. :o I always take a bit of Pepto with me now just in case :D

I guess when push comes to shove you can always find something even though it may not be ideal - any port in a storm, so to speak :D

I stop drinking coffee/tea an hour before we're scheduled to leave the ship and make sure I go just before getting off.

I've started switching to espressos if I really want a coffee, but I'm not sure where the next available bathroom will be :)

My problem is I'm like a 2 YO. I don't have to go until someone mentions it then BAMB... I have to go. My son in law likes to sing, "tinkle, tinkle little star..." and then I have to go to the bathroom. We live an hour away from Disneyland and everytime we go to or fro I have to go to the bathroom when I take the grandkids. Sure THEY can make it but me, not so much LOL. I stop drinking long before I get in the car or know where every bathroom is on the way. (insert heavy sigh here) Old age is harder then I thought. :eek: I know what you're thinking TMI! If we are on a questionable island (bathroom wise) then I don't drink at all before I go ashore.

Ok, this is a funny topic, but what a great question! I've got a trick I use. I drink coffee as soon as I wake up, as it makes me go completely if you know what I mean! If I'm having any issues (it's a big deal to me...someone earlier said they didn't know the big deal...some of us have intestinal issues!), I will take an Immodium so I'm good to go for the day. When we travel, we always have Immodium on us for the sheer purpose of NOT going to the bathroom. It lasts for one full day for me, and by nighttime, or at least the next morning, I'm back to normal. I only take the Immodium to PREVENT going if the coffee for some reason won't MAKE me go. My .02! ;)

Sometimes, there is a person sitting inside or just outside. They MIGHT hand you a paper towel then they want a tip. They might not do anything and want a tip. In Cozumel last year, a little boy sat outside & handed us paper towels.

I've seen nasty restrooms. Nasty. sludge on the floor, black rings in the toilet, seats missing. The one in Grand Cayman by the port wasn't great.

A lot of the tours we've taken purposely stop for a 'restroom' break. It is conveniently on the other side of a gift shop.

Heck, if I have to go, I will. I really don't see the big deal about it. Sure, it's not what you're used to, but it serves its purpose. At least it does keep the lines shorter for the women's bathrooms. ;)

Same here. I always carry tissue, hand cleanser and a sheewee / whiz in my bag.

Archived