Cruisers here are such high class and great people!

ashoor

Ever since I started visited these forums, I have been amazed by the class cruisers have. Very high class! I am not sure if this just the people here on this forum or most cruisers in general? Let me explain:

For example, some of the things that caught my attention include:

-Generous: Most cruisers are generous and want to reward the crew that serve them and not shortchange them. In fact, that is understatement. It is so refreshing to see how much they appreciate their crew, to the point of remembering their name and thanking them online, well after the cruise is over. For example, on the recent Carnival ship power outage and the resulting mess, most passengers did make sure to differentiate between the staff that served them and the corporate ownership on the other hand.

-Family-oriented! I was always puzzled as to what DW and DH meant and when I did, I was truly impressed by the beautiful language members here refer to their spouse and other family members.

-Unlike most other online forums, people here truly respect each other and hardly ever see trolls or attacking one another personally.

-Professional and educated: for example, when someone makes a false accusation about a certain cruise line (i.e Carnaval recently) people here are quick to come to the aid of the subject in question and set the record straight. So in other words, people here are sometimes more trustworthy and honest to me than media outlets.

-Educated: am amazed by how educated a lot of people are. More specifically, when it comes to cruising, some truly know their stuff, up the most intricate mechanical details about how a ship works.

-Attention to details: it is amazing how much effort people here put towards ensuring their cruise is as good as it can be. This includes the effort put into organizing these roll-calls and excursions.

-Very social: whether it is all these roll-calls, meeting up with new people or keeping in touch with people from other past cruise vacations, I am impressed by the level of social interactions people here like to have on their cruises. Sure we all enjoy to have moments of privacy, but I am sure a lot of people here don't mind it ,for example, when seated with strangers at dinner time.

I have only been on one cruise before and ironically, it was before I had found this forum. But now that I have and having been exposed to thousands of cruisers (mostly north Americans and western Europeans) I have come to truly appreciate people who are into cruising. They are not your average people. They are great people whom you should hope were your friends, neighbors etc.

Very happy I found this place, it is more than just about cruising, it is about meeting great people who just happen to like cruising!

Which begs the chicken/egg question:

Do great people like to cruise or do cruising brings the best in human beings?

A very kind and thoughtful observation.

I can't answer the question at the end, as there are trolls who occasionally show up and then disappear. But I think the majority of the people who congregate on C.C. are genuinely interested in getting the best out of their cruise and are more than happy to pay things forward to others who can glean from their experiences.

Happy sailing! :)

To the OP, you've made some nice observations. However, some days, the postings on here are as pleasant as a dining experience in a cruise ship's MDR on Elegant night. At other times, it can be like waiting in line at the buffet, trying to contend with rude people. It makes me think of the line from "Forrest Gump." "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get." The same thing applies here on C.C. Do yourself a favor. If you should come across someone being rude on here, just skip over their comments and ignore them.

Very nice thread.

In general, we have met very nice people when we cruise and there are many nice people on the boards too. With millions of people cruising and so many people posting you will find a diverse group of people many of whom you will enjoy and some you won't.

Keith

Definitely agree. Since we started cruising in 2008 I've been able to find lots of good info here. And now that I've gotten a few cruises "under my belt" I try to help out other newbies. We've met lots of great people on our cruises and plan on meeting many more. :D

Welcome to cruisecritc, ashoor.

One thing I admire about CC is what a vast pool of knowledge it contains. Collectively, it knows more about cruising than almost any other source.

Wow. I must be really jaded. I was sure OP was being sarcastic. :eek:

Nope! I am serious. Like I said, I have only been on one cruise, but if this forum is any indication, then cruisers are not your average people. They are great people with great class.

Nope! I am serious. Like I said, I have only been on one cruise, but if this forum is any indication, then cruisers are not your average people. They are great people with great class.

My DW might disagree with you somewhat about me, but that's a topic for another day.:D

Enjoy each cruise for what it has to offer, and don't try to compare it to any previous cruise. That's a common trap that people let themselves fall into. Even two cruises on the same ship with the same itinerary will not be exactly the same. You'll enjoy cruising so much more if you don't let yourself get stressed out over things you have no control over. JMHO.

During times of crisis, like when the Triumph incident occurred, some people with great technical knowledge come on here and post- and it's a wonderful thing. And yes, compared to many forums, the mods here keep us in line very well ;).

We are all talking about cruising! :D It is a happy place...(most times)

Interesting post by OP. Perhaps people who enjoy cruising ( and talking about it here) are slightly more contemplative and interested in the slower pace mandated by sea travel. Simply being at sea has a tranquilizing effect on people - which probably shows up on their posts. Sure, there are pushy, self absorbed folks on ships as there are everywhere, but those who want to take the time and engage in discussions are likely to be the happier sort.

I have to admit my initial reaction also was "Are you kidding?" , but thinking about it made me see something in the post.

As I think about it, it makes sense. Half of the fun of a trip is planning it or reminiscing over it. The trip itself is great fun and we meet lots of people, but it's only here that we find a willing and interactive audience for the planning and reminiscing phases.

All of us benefit from planning and sharing our experiences other members. When our trip is over, DH waits for the next one to magically appear and be organized. I get the benefit of learning all the details that enrich our trips, then re-living which helps others!:D It's recycling at it's best!

-Unlike most other online forums, people here truly respect each other and hardly ever see trolls or attacking one another personally.

After a while, you'll sadly notice this one doesn't apply :o

Otherwise I agree with you. CC is GREAT :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the most part people are very friendly and helpful on here, whenever I have a newbie question they always answer quickly. Its also quite good how can mostly have a good laugh and joke when all other topics seem to have been exhausted.The roll call forums are particularly great as everyone bands together regarding excursions and travelling to ports...no-one wants to miss a boat! :)

Unfortunately there is a small percentage of rude people who for no apparent reason kept berating me whenever I posted in any thread due to a previous debate...sometimes class misses people I guess!

(This was on the carnival forum)

So well said! I love this site because of that....I really don't understand how people think it's ok to be rude on the internet ( IE youtube, etc...) Even makes me avoid certain sites because of the rudeness and negativity!!!!

Cruisers are good people ;)

Archived