New cruises how does getting off work with all those people?!

cbowls30

Hi all

We are off the Caribbean on allure, stopping at Nassau, st.thomas and st.maarten, just wondered how it works getting all those people off the ship when you dock? It must take hours?! I'm sure there is a system that us newbies know nothing about?! Can someone shed some light?!!! Thanks

When the ship docks it's usually no problem. Get on and off at your leisure. When the ship anchors and you ride a tender there are likely to be queues, so they issue numbered tender tickets if you're not on a ship's tour (tours board when they're ready to go). You wait in a lounge and go down to the tender loading area when your number is called.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

They have a good system for getting everyone off. There is a backup when the ship is first cleared and passengers start getting off. It will take about 20 or so minutes for this backlog to clear. Note that there will be a separate gangway for people on the ship's excursions. If you are not in a hurry, just find a comfortable seat and relax for a few minutes while the initial crowd gets off

Hi all

We are off the Caribbean on allure, stopping at Nassau, st.thomas and st.maarten, just wondered how it works getting all those people off the ship when you dock? It must take hours?! I'm sure there is a system that us newbies know nothing about?! Can someone shed some light?!!! Thanks

If the ship clears at 8am-- wait til 8:20 to head down. Going at 8am it will be a madhouse-- wait 20 minutes then go

They will scan everyone's passcard on the way out, so there may be a bit of a backlog processing folks through. They are pretty quick at processing people through, but make certain that each member of your party has their card easily accessible.

But this way you cannot forget your card for when you need to get back on, and they will know who is not back on before they hoist anchor (they won't wait for you but at least they will know you did not make it back on! :D).

Worse than scanning the cards is the photographers blocking the way

The one good thing about taking a tender boat, no photographers to hold up the line (they'll get you when you come ashore).

Allure is the most organized cruise I've ever been on. It does not feel crowded (except for the buffet lunch on embarkation day, and when exiting a show). Their system for getting on and off the ship works very smoothly. You will be surprised!

As others have said let the "Rushees" get off first. Note, some of the arrival times at ports occur before most of the businesses on shore even open so why rush to wait! Also Suites on most lines get priority Tendering in case you have one, you go to the head of the line.

As others have said let the "Rushees" get off first. Note, some of the arrival times at ports occur before most of the businesses on shore even open so why rush to wait! Also Suites on most lines get priority Tendering in case you have one, you go to the head of the line.

Reading these boards I see different opinions about that. Some say get in line when you want, but not bypass the line. Others say bypass the line (and flaunt your suite status while doing so:)). Must vary by line or something.

Allure is the most organized cruise I've ever been on. It does not feel crowded (except for the buffet lunch on embarkation day, and when exiting a show). Their system for getting on and off the ship works very smoothly. You will be surprised!
There is so much to see and do on the Oasis and the Allure, that many seasoned passengers don't get off. Especially it they have see the ports before.

The only time it will take hours is if you dock in the USA on a non-USA based ship. Eight hours (Los Angeles) was my personal record, though I only had to stand in the queue for 2 hours because I waited to be last off.

Believe it or not, not everyone on board gets off when the ship docks. We sat at a table once with people who had been on 10 cruises and only got off once or twice in all those cruises. If I have been to a port before (especially on Caribbean cruises), I usually do not get off. Nice to enjoy the pool without 3000 other people.

I have never waited more than 15 minutes to get off and that was for a tender.

Not everyone needs to leave the ship at the exact same time at ports. Only those who have a definite excursion set for an early time need to be the very first off the board. So you don't really have hundreds of folks backed up into the ship as they struggle to get off. Some might not need or want to leave until noon, for example.

Allure and Oasis are the two easiest ships to leave at ports from my experience. It may be because they generally open two doors and gangways.

Just as on the first day of your cruise as you are embarking onto the ship, there is no law that says you have to wait in line for the (seemingly) obligitory photo.

We just POLITELY pass by the line, saying "excuse me" and bypass the queue. Be sure to note the word POLITELY and do NOT walk between the photographer and subject while a photo is being taken.

Archived