Rome + Greece/Turkey in October What to wear?

bb2

We will be visiting Rome and then onto a Greek/Turkey cruise for 10 days mid to late October. I know the weather can be variable 70 degree highs and 50 degree lows (if we are lucky).

For those warmer days can I get away with packing summer colored clothes (ie. bright, pastels or even white)? Or would I be better off packing darker more fall like colors. Finally can we wear shorts to non religious sites or are we better off sticking to capris or jeans this time of year?

Same kind of question for the ship, would summer resort wear pass or should I bring more fall like clothing?

Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom!!

Edited by bb2

You will feel much more comfortable wearing slacks in the big cities this time of year. Many tourists wear shorts in the heat of the summer but to be honest, I can't do it. Capris yes - shorts - no. Rome, Athens, Istanbul, Barcelona, Florence and other large cities are well, large cities and just feel more formal.

Now, the islands and smaller resort type areas I dress much more casual.

As for more colorful items….. I like color but when we travel here in the fall months (we have done 2 Nov cruises and 1 October cruise along with 2 early May cruises) I tend to pull out more fall colors….. navy or other blues, grays, black is always good, even camels or golds, reds and purples…… I guess I am saying I don't wear pastels or flowery summer stuff.

On the ship it will be more anything goes, I always take white slacks but will pair it with a white shirt and gray sweater - you get the idea.

The locals in the big cities do not wear a lot of bright colors. Its all black, brown, blue, gray….. but they will wear a colorful scarf with their outfit. Even in the summer. Only the tourists will be in bright colors, white tennis shoes and baseball hats :eek: But thats ok cuz thats what tourists do :D

I second the idea of darker fall colors. I didn't see a lot of summer pastels anywhere in Europe.

Slacks or capris or even skirts in darker colors. You could add lighter tops if you're inclined to. We wore mostly long sleeves with a lightweight rain jacket (with a hood), usually removing the jacket about noon time. That time of year can get some moisture, so be prepared for that.

Have a great trip!

October is when the weather starts to change. You can be lucky and have nice sunny days, but it could also rain. It can also be quite cool in the evenings.

I would pack layers, including a raincoat/umbrella. I would leave my very summery clothes at home and take attire more appropriate for Autumn.

You won't see local people wearing shorts in European cities in October.

You won't see local people wearing shorts in European cities in October.

I agree, but as a caveat I will say that if the OP is visiting Greek islands like Santorini or Mykonos, for example, wearing resort clothing is still fine (e.g., lighter colors, shorts) if the weather is good.

I am European and will take light colors incl. pastels for my October East Med cruise but also some dark pants for dinner (as I did on a similar cruise 2 years ago). Not really the summer clothes for 30+ C temperatures, but not really fall/winter stuff either.

You will see basically all colors, also white, as fall can still be very nice and warm in Greece/Turkey/Italy. However, if we are unlucky it can be cool and rainy some days. Therefore, bring a variety (also rainwear and a warm sweather) so you are covered - lol ;)- in all events.

Edited by Michidoeme

• 2 months later...

Do not get hung up on the colors.

Bright is fine. I promise.

I've been to these places in the spring, summer and fall.

My own experience this time of the year that you are looking at is to layer clothing if necessary.

It could be warm one day, cool the next, sunny one day, rainy and windy another day.

It is a variable like you said.

Where are you going in Greece?

Again, don't get hung up on this. Just like in the USA, you won't see any fashion cops and you will see people in a wide range of clothing both tourists and locals and can vary place to place and also day of week.

Dress in clothing that will make you happy.

Keith

We have spent the last five years in Southern Europe in the Sept/Oct timefrime. We were in Greece/Greek Islands this past Sept/Oct.

Forget the dark clothes. There are lots of tourists in light summer clothing...Brits, French, etc.

I would assume warmer weather but bring some layers such as a cotton sweater and a light waterproof rain shell.

This past Sept/Oct I think I wore jeans twice, and once was to fly out because I find the plane cold. Short pants/short sleeves every other day. Same the year before in Malta and Sicily, and even warmer the year before that in Turkey and Greece.

So, I would assume warmer weather but be prepared with layered clothes if the weather changes.

Edited by iancal

We visited Rome and the Greek Isles this past October.

In Rome, I wore mostly dark colors. Jeans, maxi skirts and long pants paired with short sleeve tops and a cardigan. I accessorized most outfits with a scarf to add some color.

In the Greek Isles, I wore maxi skirts, linen pants and capri pants. Mine happened to be beige or darker colors but light colors would have worked as well. For tops, I wore lighter colors (some were white) and also used my scarf to accessorize.

Only one of my trips has been in October (sailed Oct 20, 2014). We had warm days - 80 degrees in Rome for the pre-cruise and 60's in some of the ports. We also had a few light showers so take a light jacket.

I didn't wear shorts during the trip and I live in shorts at home year round :)