First cruise to alaska--questions galore!

SuzieQ521

For clothing, you are in a great position. Check out post-winter sales this year on outdoor clothing. I have a ski jacket system that has a medium weight water proof jacket and a fleece that goes underneath. I believe my husband has a three-layer system. If you aren't picky about colors, you can probably get a good deal once winter starts coming to an end. We both have good hiking shoes (not boot style), and I have some military-issue (not the standard military style you are probably thinking of) lower cut boots I'm giving my mom. You can buy cheap fleece glove and hat/headband combo at Walmart. I use these for running and other outdoor cold activities. For me, I prefer a headband instead of a hat because of my hair, but most men would probably prefer a hat. As someone who spent a total of a decade in military school and in the military, I highly encourage proper clothing. Things just aren't fun when you are wet and/or cold.

Consider taking some non-drowsy Dramamine with you. Just pop one every morning when you get up, and you should be good to go. I took some prior to a 17-mile kayak trip in Hawaii, as it was highly encouraged by the tour guides. I'm not sure if I would have been seasick otherwise, but a tube of Dramamine is about $4. Cheapest insurance you'll ever find IMO.