Carnival Legend made Mom an Alaskan LEGEND

elililly

5c75574f5eef31b6d1c3947845ddbd78.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What a wonderful picture--your mom's smile says it all!

Even though I will be on Princess to Alaska, I really enjoyed your review and pictures. Those of us that are leaving soon are so anxious for the early reports so thanks for doing one!

elililly thank you for your review and the lovely photos. What a wonderful thing to do with your Mum. I am sure the two of you will treasure these memories. Even the one about the poor tour in Ketchikan.:).

Have you thought of making a photo book for your Mum with these wonderful photos. I did this for my Mum and she enjoyed sharing the memories with friends and carers who visited her at home. Also when she passed away it is a special momento I have.

Thanks again,

Julie

Love the insight with wheelchair travel in Alaska.

• When looking down the excursion options.... very few (if any) appear to be wheelchair friendly.
  • We often stay at the lower budget oceanviews..... elevator access was great as we were boarding at the bottom where the elevators were starting.

To clarify....

• is that a transport chair in the picture?
  • did you any problems on the ship with the small wheels? On other cruise lines.... my only problems have been embarkation trying to get mom into the ship.... where the wheels get caught on the outside to inside door drain.

Yes the wheelchair is a transport chair . I bought it cause I can lift it in and out of my car.

At home mom uses a walker w a seat so I was not that skilled with maneuvering the chair.

I went back and forth

On taking the walker vs wheelchair. Mom walks 10 ft then wants to rest a little bit. I thought we may never make it to dinner that way! Also read here to remember the ship is moving and unsteady. Mom is unsteady too so thought the wheel chair would be safer.

On the way out of our hallway I had to lift the front wheels over a ridge. The rest of the ship was great.

The second morning mom received a floor map that highlighted a wheelchair route from front to back of every floor.

Also in there was a name and number of the person In charge of special needs on the ship.

The train was the best for wheelchairs.

The towns were not. Skagway has boarded walkways that were rough to roll over. Ketchikan had very narrow sidewalks.

In Juneau the bus took us to Mendenhall glacier. Mom walked up the stairs of the bus. Wheelchair fit underneath. At glacier I pushed on photo point trail. It's paved but I was sweating due to the up and down hills.

At tramway in Juneau I rolled mom on the tram. We wanted to see the bald eagle and we had to walk to that as it was packed dirt which was wet

Due to rain. Very easy to fall.

I wanted to do a boat tour but mom does not like small boats. Not sure how much she would have seen sitting on a boat either.

Ketchikan next time would be lumber jack show. Not for me but think mom would like it.

I did learn and observe a lot on this trip being with someone in a wheelchair. We took a rain poncho but an umbrella worked better for her to use and me in my rain jacket pushing her.

The rain was the biggest obstacle off the ship.

Her wheelchair got wet in Ketchikan so we had to put towels on the seat and back for the trek for dinner. We both could have used

Rain pants for that day. I thought

About taking boots but it was so messy

When it rained I would have ruined mine. Now hiking boots would have been good but I was limiting items to take.

Hope this helps !

On getting Mom on the ship.

We waited for a pusher since I knew it would be uphill ramps. Mom was carrying her bag on her lap and I was rolling my bag that contained a 12 pack drink.

He seemed to not have any issues getting her on the ship. I did look

At the door jams on the floor and we hit a few snags but I could tilt the wheels.

Mom also was able to eat dinner and watch shows in a reg chair for the comfort factor. Although after she walks a bit she loved that wheelchair. She did walk the wheelchair places on the ship but we never left it in our cabin cause it would be used before we got

Back. She also needs to hold onto

Something when walking and that fit the bill.

We also got a $100 in fives and ones in a bank envelop. I had that

In my purse and could easily access it for tips for the pushers since my hands were always full. We spent about 50 including the airport.

• Like 1

Nice review!

Glad your mom had a great time. You proved that you don't have to go go go in AK to enjoy yourself!

Agree! I just told my parents that even if we would just sit on the balcony the entire trip, it would still be fabulous.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this great review. We are traveling with another family and the father is in a motorized wheelchair, so thank you for all the information. I was wondering how you got to SeaTac? We are trying to figure out if there will be taxis that can transport the wheel chair or if we need to line up a private shuttle. Our flight leaves at 11:55 am.

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for the all the information and tips on your experience with wheelchair cruise travel. I am cruising Alaska July of 2018 and require a wheelchair. I loved all your pictures! I was so moved by the obvious love you have for your Mom! What a beautiful journey for both of you!

• 2 months later...

I see you used a wheelchair. what about mobility scooters. are they available for rental and what would be your opinion about using them to get around. tx.

We mom and I, daughter, just got back yesterday from a great cruise.

I learned many things here and used many tips to help enjoy Alaska more.

We are from Memphis and mom is in her 70s and uses walker at home. We took our own transport wheelchair since I can lift it! It was the best decision. Mom would walk the wheelchair to dining room for exercise but still had the stability of holding on to something.20cc280f06a0bd889ef5efcb5d7ed325.jpg