Using Delta miles to Europe - one ways vs multi city

Ski Mom 2

I've got our cruise booked (yeah!) now looking at airfare. Flying September 2018 to Lisbon and can fly for only 30,000 miles each on Delta! That's a bargain in my book and I can even upgrade to Delta Comfort for $119.00. Fees are only $5.60 each.

I can't book our return from Rome yet since it's not until October and those dates aren't released yet. One problem for booking one way from Rome is there are more fees and taxes since the flight originates in Rome which means possibly 30,000 miles plus over $230 for the fees (plus the upgrade to Delta Comfort). When looking at "fake" dates the round trip taxes and fees are only $77 each.

So, do I book the fantastic 30,000 miles one ways for both of us and watch for my return date and hope it's 30,000 too? Do I wait to book the entire trip when the return date pops up and risk losing the 30,000 mile one ways? Help please!!

Go to DL website. If you book the one way now, you'll have to book a one way back. It appears the hit on taxes might be a bit more for the return and priced in Euros. There is also no guarantee that there will be 30k seats on the day you want to return. Can you be flexible on your return date?

Yes, we can be flexible on the return. We end in Rome and want to stay a few days so what's another couple if necessary? ;)

It's just which way to go...book two one ways and take the higher hit on the fees and taxes on the return or wait it out to book a multi city trip and run the risk of having to use more miles...

Of course I realize how lucky we are that we have the possibility of booking with lower miles versus paying full price!

Sorry, no there is no crystal ball on what will be available when the return dates start posting....but those taxes coming home on a one way basis are quite high. If you have more than the 120k that you need...it could be a wash in tax cost vs using more miles.

All you can do is look at inventory for other dates to get a sense of inventory and place your bet (wait or book). Usually the later you go into the fall season there is more availability for the 30k tickets.

That is standard for 1 way trips. US to Europe-low taxes. Europe to US-high taxes. All airlines, it won't change. Been that way for years. So--30,000 miles OW--pretty good deal! Your call...;p

• 2 months later...