American Airlines Seat Bookings

maryec

I have heard that seat pricing is dynamic, so the price to pre-allocate a seat may increase if you leave it until later. I don't have any first-hand experience of that, and don't know how reliable the reports are, because I don't have to pay to get seats on BA.

Which is a reason why I love the BA policy: I get a better choice of seats on BA than I would if I flew another airline. :D

If you book through the BA website, you should be able to choose and pay for a seat pre-allocation as part of the booking process. However, that may be linked to the fact that the ticket will be issued immediately; normally, you do need to have an issued ticket in order to pay online for a seat pre-allocation, although it can sometimes be done over the phone even if you haven't yet been ticketed.

Looking at booking with AA, but the inbound would be a codeshare BA flight. The upper deck on the 747-400 looks more suitable for our needs, but I presume will be popular. If we pay to prebook seats, will we still be moved out of them if a high rewards member wants those seats?

Looking at booking with AA, but the inbound would be a codeshare BA flight. The upper deck on the 747-400 looks more suitable for our needs, but I presume will be popular. If we pay to prebook seats, will we still be moved out of them if a high rewards member wants those seats?
No. But on the upper deck, only a few seats are available for paid pre-allocation. IIRC, these are 64B, 63AB, 63JK and (on some flights) 60B. The reason that 60B is available on only some flights is because there are flights on which 60B is reserved for possible crew rest, on which a decision is taken later in the cycle.

Having said that, the 747-400 upper deck is the place to be, if you can get seats up there. Frankly, leaving aside arguments about the propriety and reasonableness of seating policy and fees, it's worth the money. If it simply cost everyone the extra money to sit up there compared to downstairs, I'd pay it. It's the closest that most of us will ever get to the private jet experience.

There is always a risk of being moved for other reasons, and they apply equally to those who pre-allocate for free. But once you've paid, you won't get turfed out simply because a Gold or a Silver wants the seat. As far as they are concerned, the seat has gone and it matters not who has got it.