Which exit at Ngau Tau Kok MTR station, HK to grab taxi to Kai Tak Cruise terminal?

Betty in Cozumel

... Did you use the Octopus card at all for paying for transportation? ... looks to be extremely convenient.
Yes, both Metropark hotels have since upgraded & refurbished their property, added "free" WiFi for guest use - their rooms come in 3 and even 4 grades/categories, from basic to upgraded/deluxe, family & club/executive level. Depending on how you book yours, do re-check and re-confirm what you are booked and know what they are assigning to you for the stay when you checked in ... it won't hurt to nicely ask about any available, free or complimentary upgrade at the front-desk on arrival. With HK's typical housing construction, rooms might feel a bit chilly with a draft when the weather is considered cold, it should be heated - ask for extra comforter or blanket if needed.

There's a McDonald, serving some unique local breakfast in the morning - walk upstairs to 2/F from across the street and there's a nice underground (basement) supermarket as well - bottled water, fruits, juice, etc.

Octopus Card is the local multi-purpose refillable ATM/debit card, wonderful for mass transit/travel on buses, ferries, trains & MTR, mini buses, etc. and to pay for meals at McDonald, coffees & goodies at local chained bakeries, English newspapers & facial tissues/napkins at 7-11's, etc. It's been in use since the 1980's with a different brand name, in its current form since 1997 and super convenient - using basically NFC (bluebooth-like) technology ... decades ahead of the Americas - you just hold it above/near/hover by the terminals to swipe, it beep & transmit/approve the transaction amount for payment ... no PIN or codes or signatures needed.

We used it just about everywhere, Cafe' de Coral (local variant of Burger King/Denny's) and Pizza Hut, or Watson's Pharmacy - you keep the "tourist" ones whereas the regular ones has a stored valued deposit, refundable as you leave HK with a very small transaction fee, sold at all MTR Station, Star Ferry, etc. (except, not sure why they aren't at KTCT ... yet, maybe by then - they get their acts together) Since you are taking the taxi to the hotel on arrival from the airport, you can buy it the next day at the MTR station before heading out, go to the customer service window as locals do their refills as the self-service kiosks, need to show your passport/travel ID's to purchase. Or, just stop at the MTR counter at the airport, just past customs hall before you exit - since they are definitely bilingual & you can get a user guide & maps to read.

Link - http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/about_octopus.html

There are also dozens of vidoes on Youtube, search with the keywords and you will see them - for a virtual orientation about arrival into HKIA, taxi ride to town, using the MTR, and - yes - even using the Octopus Card (which roughly translated to 8 ways to connect/travell) ... also good for fares to the Big Budda/NP 360 on Lantau Island (sorry, I consider that place, a giant tourist trap) and Disney and even Ocean Park.

Yes, both Metropark hotels have since upgraded & refurbished their property, added "free" WiFi for guest use - their rooms come in 3 and even 4 grades/categories, from basic to upgraded/deluxe, family & club/executive level. Depending on how you book yours, do re-check and re-confirm what you are booked and know what they are assigning to you for the stay when you checked in ... it won't hurt to nicely ask about any available, free or complimentary upgrade at the front-desk on arrival. With HK's typical housing construction, rooms might feel a bit chilly with a draft when the weather is considered cold, it should be heated - ask for extra comforter or blanket if needed.

There's a McDonald, serving some unique local breakfast in the morning - walk upstairs to 2/F from across the street and there's a nice underground (basement) supermarket as well - bottled water, fruits, juice, etc.

Octopus Card is the local multi-purpose refillable ATM/debit card, wonderful for mass transit/travel on buses, ferries, trains & MTR, mini buses, etc. and to pay for meals at McDonald, coffees & goodies at local chained bakeries, English newspapers & facial tissues/napkins at 7-11's, etc. It's been in use since the 1980's with a different brand name, in its current form since 1997 and super convenient - using basically NFC (bluebooth-like) technology ... decades ahead of the Americas - you just hold it above/near/hover by the terminals to swipe, it beep & transmit/approve the transaction amount for payment ... no PIN or codes or signatures needed.

We used it just about everywhere, Cafe' de Coral (local variant of Burger King/Denny's) and Pizza Hut, or Watson's Pharmacy - you keep the "tourist" ones whereas the regular ones has a stored valued deposit, refundable as you leave HK with a very small transaction fee, sold at all MTR Station, Star Ferry, etc. (except, not sure why they aren't at KTCT ... yet, maybe by then - they get their acts together) Since you are taking the taxi to the hotel on arrival from the airport, you can buy it the next day at the MTR station before heading out, go to the customer service window as locals do their refills as the self-service kiosks, need to show your passport/travel ID's to purchase. Or, just stop at the MTR counter at the airport, just past customs hall before you exit - since they are definitely bilingual & you can get a user guide & maps to read.

Link - http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/about_octopus.html

There are also dozens of vidoes on Youtube, search with the keywords and you will see them - for a virtual orientation about arrival into HKIA, taxi ride to town, using the MTR, and - yes - even using the Octopus Card (which roughly translated to 8 ways to connect/travell) ... also good for fares to the Big Budda/NP 360 on Lantau Island (sorry, I consider that place, a giant tourist trap) and Disney and even Ocean Park.

Awesome info! Thank you again. We didn't plan to go see the Big Budda. I think we'll see plenty on this cruise with our stops. Since you know the area so well, perhaps you can give me recommendation for shops to purchase fabric? My MIL is wanting to buy more fabric in silk to cover her couch...Even if you just know a general area, that would be great. If not, I'm sure we'll find something. Thanks again.

... My MIL is wanting to buy more fabric in silk to cover her couch...
Super easy, take MTR 2 stop (I think, maybe 3) to Cheung Sha Wan Station stop - one side is the Golden Computer Centre & Arcade, electronics, PC parts & gadgets and exit on other side for Apliu Street, open door/largely outdoor flea market for everything used/pre-own & some new goods. CSW Street is also known as Fashion Street these days, all the fabric shops & stores, plus outlets for retail clothing destined for oversea markets, excess & QC rejects, all the XXL and XXLT & plus sizing for us from abroad, that need to buy our big & tall sizes (sleeves are often, still too short - dress shirts in 32 or 33" long at most - hard to find 34" or 36" in my 18" neck size or 18.5" Ditto & even more for women/ladies. You will find all kinds of fabrics, patterns & material, imported as well as bargain production samples leftover from factory shops.

If you wanted to walk, it's like 15 minutes, maybe 20 at most from the hotel, just exit front door - turn right & walk along Lai Chi Kwok Road for the Sham Shui Po District for Cheung Sha Wan Rd, it's also an interesting self-guided walking tour to see the working class neighborhood, including some of the homeless & working poor ... some in 50 - 75 years old buildings. Tourists head for ladies market but real shoppers head over there to buy what they need.

Here's the alternative to Big Budda - Wong Tai Sin Temple in Kowloon, not far from Kai Tak, no admission fees - right behind one of the oldest public housing projects in this former colony.

adee08d64d2fb8a815cb3b024918637a.jpg

Edited by mking8288

Super easy, take MTR 2 stop (I think, maybe 3) to Cheung Sha Wan Station stop - one side is the Golden Computer Centre & Arcade, electronics, PC parts & gadgets and exit on other side for Apliu Street, open door/largely outdoor flea market for everything used/pre-own & some new goods. ...

Thank you again for all your help. I went back over the Airport Express train and watched a few You Tubes. That seems to be the way to go. Very easy and well laid out. Not all airport trains are this simple! Once we get to Kowloon, the Hotel said to take the K5 free shuttle bus to the hotel. We might do that or get a couple of taxi's. My MIL will be thrilled with your info on buying fabrics.

... Airport Express train ... seems to be the way to go ... take the K5 free shuttle bus to the hotel. We might do that or get a couple of taxi's. My MIL will be thrilled with your info on buying fabrics.
AE is super visitors-f)riendly so give it a try & get the Octopus Card (which you can pre-order & have it delivered/available by the time you arrived if flying Cathy Pacific)

Take advantage of those free luggage cart once you are past the immigration/border control stations, and use it to collect all your checked bags, then, proceed past customs - stop at MTR help centre (or, Foreign Currency Exchange first - there are ATM as well, just don't remember if they are in that area or beyond in the public hall area when hundreds are often standing for the meet & greet) Then, follow signs ahead to the AE Station & board the next train to Kowloon.

For 4 travelers, be sure to get the Group Ticket Promo discount ticket, one-way adult fare is $100 HKD p/p to Kowloon Station, reduced to $250 for 4 instead (37.5% savings) and the shuttle routes to the hotels are free/complimentary. Porter services are available at these stations as well.

K5 route (K is for Kowloon) include stop #2 at the other Metropark by Waterloo Street, and MP at Mong Kong is stop #4 for you, should be at the front or side door. Bellhop should come right out to help with taking the luggage into the small but busy lobby while you check-in.

Be sure to download & install the free MTR App to use, the AE has free & fast WiFi, as are the MTR Station Concourse.

http://www.hkairportexpress.com/en/easy-shuttle-bus.php

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

Enjoy your cruise & if you do happen to plan to write up about your experience, let us all know about it here on CC - don't forget to take some pictures & upload them. Those specific to the new KCTC are still limited and far in-between, it will be very helpful to others following Betty & you in the path, even thought it's now 4 years later.

When you are ready to checkout of the hotel & head for the pier, use the side exit as that's where the taxis are idle & waiting - should be a fast & easy 20-25 minutes trip, costing no more than $75 to $90 HKD with tips, or $10 to $13 USD per taxi.

There are many excellent advice so I am going to answer the question only. I am currently in Hong Kong and stay in kwun Tong area on a business trip. I stopped by Nagy Tau Kok MTR station this evening after work. There is no taxi stand but you should be able to hail a taxi on the curb near exit A or B2. I found lots of taxi in the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

AE is super visitors-f)riendly so give it a try & get the Octopus Card (which you can pre-order & have it delivered/available by the time you arrived if flying Cathy Pacific)

Take advantage of those free luggage cart once you are past the immigration/border control stations, and use it to collect all your checked bags, then, proceed past customs - stop at MTR help centre (or, Foreign Currency Exchange first - there are ATM as well, just don't remember if they are in that area or beyond in the public hall area when hundreds are often standing for the meet & greet) Then, follow signs ahead to the AE Station & board the next train to Kowloon.

For 4 travelers, be sure to get the Group Ticket Promo discount ticket, one-way adult fare is $100 HKD p/p to Kowloon Station, reduced to $250 for 4 instead (37.5% savings) and the shuttle routes to the hotels are free/complimentary. Porter services are available at these stations as well.

K5 route (K is for Kowloon) include stop #2 at the other Metropark by Waterloo Street, and MP at Mong Kong is stop #4 for you, should be at the front or side door. Bellhop should come right out to help with taking the luggage into the small but busy lobby while you check-in.

Be sure to download & install the free MTR App to use, the AE has free & fast WiFi, as are the MTR Station Concourse.

http://www.hkairportexpress.com/en/easy-shuttle-bus.php

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/services/complom_free_bus.html

Enjoy your cruise & if you do happen to plan to write up about your experience, let us all know about it here on CC - don't forget to take some pictures & upload them. Those specific to the new KCTC are still limited and far in-between, it will be very helpful to others following Betty & you in the path, even thought it's now 4 years later.

When you are ready to checkout of the hotel & head for the pier, use the side exit as that's where the taxis are idle & waiting - should be a fast & easy 20-25 minutes trip, costing no more than $75 to $90 HKD with tips, or $10 to $13 USD per taxi.

Hey there...Just a few more questions....I'm looking for suggestions for some delicious food and what areas you would recommend? We don't need 5 star, but just want different areas and names if you have them? Of course, good chinese since that's all I hear about from people that have visited HK.

Boarding day, we're probably going to just taxi from the MetroPark hotel to the KTCT verses dragging bags up and down. Once we check in and board, we're planning to go back into HKG, roam around and have dinner. Is the easiest transportation using the MTR? We're totally open to that. Can you recommend places to eat from there as well?

Thanks again!! My count down is on......

Hey there...Just a few more questions....I'm looking for suggestions for some delicious food and what areas ... good chinese since that's all I hear about from people that have visited HK.

Boarding day, we're probably going to just taxi from the MetroPark hotel to the KTCT verses dragging bags ... check in and board ... go back ... roam around and have dinner. Is the easiest transportation using the MTR? My count down is on......

Yes, MTR with the Octupus Card is the way to get around & pay for many incidentals. Taxi fare from hotel to KTCT is probably around $70 or $80 HKD, about $10 USD - tip the bell hop $10 HKD & he will be very happy to haul a taxi at the side entrance/exit & make sure the driver knows where you wish to go, etc.

Once you are done checking in for the sailing, you can probably take the free shopping mall shuttle out to the nearby mall/MTR station, and go from there. Bus #5A (I think) is the exclusive route serving KT and nearby MTR - or for about the same - the 16 pax PMB (Public Mini Bus, Rt. 86) and, you can use the Octopus Card to hover/swipe to pay for the ride/fare

Details here - http://www.16seats.net/eng/gmb/gk_86.html

For lunch, dinner, etc. - besides browsing the multi-story Telford Plaza Mall, the end/starting point for #86 PMB - is the variety of eateries & food court inside, you can consider them hidden. Checkout their posted menu & prices - just about anything you can imagine & wish for (not going to steer you to Pizza Hut, Burger King or KFC ... :halo: )

http://www.telford-plaza.com/eng/tp/dining/list?pageNo=1&foodType=3

One of the major local chain is the "Maxim's" group - you will find their bakery/cafe shop inside just about every other MTR station's concourse, if not everyone of them - Octopus Card cheerfully accepted, along with cash & of course, debit & credit cards. If you are trying to find one along busy Nathan Road, odds are that they are "upstairs" in the malls or in the basement (street level rent is crazy sky high) - here's a link to their selections, menus to start planning (warning, if you gain weight before your cruise, I am not responsible ;p )

http://www.maxims.com.hk/tc/index.asp

Another popular local dining group - comfort/fast food chain, like our local Denny's & IHOP in the good old USA - is the Cafe de Coral ... largely order by the # & self-service pickup with variety of Chinese & "Western" choices ... French Toast should be available but pancakes, not too popular. It's inside this mall.

If you end you going to the Kowloon Bay MTR Station, just duck inside one of the retail malls & check out what's available - fewer tourists come to these places where the locals eat & shop, you will be fine eating there.

Word of caution - (fresh) seafood prices in HK can be mad crazy high, by the ouces, not by the pounds or kg when they posted the prices next to the fish tanks - that steamed sea brass can easily come a thousand dollars+ alone, depending ... (yes, like $125 USD) - same for those large or jumbo prawns or Aussie (live) lobsters, etc. - if the waiter or captain get pushy or insist, just politely declined & say everyone is allegic to and will get sick eating seafood ...

Wong Tai Sin MTR is connected to/above shopping malls, you will find traditional restaurants there as well, and for the morning hours - dim sum. That's where the locals go to enjoy their tea & read their newspapers (yes, many still do - despite iPads) for betting on race horses, a popular sporting pasture at Happy Valley.

Closer to Metropark - across over on Nathan Road, upstairs in the one of the smaller shopping mall with little shops - elevators up to 4 or 5 th floor is a very nice dim sum & classic Chinese restaurants, good food & prices - dim sum are cooked to order & come out steaming hot ... don't have the name, but cross over & look up, it's pretty hard to miss it. Another block over at Sai Yeung Choi Street, where the mini-buses are ... small restaurants & cafe, and a good # of them serving excellent thin-skinned wonton soup & wonton and noodles soup, BBQ meat (pork, chicken, roast duck, etc.) & noodles soup, variety of congees (rice porridge) and stirred/pan fried noodles with beef, shrimp, etc. ... most of them probably don't speak much English since it catered mostly to locals, but you can usually point & order using the pictorial food menu. A block from Metropark on Lai Chi Kwok Road, toward Nathan Road is a hotpot place as in Shabu Shabu - a favorite year-round way to eat with friends & families ... so many choices & so little time, huh.

Closer to Tsim Sha Tsui area at the Jordan Road MTR Station (1 stop away - it's walkable along Nathan Road) - are variety of restaurants as well ... Japanese, Thai, etc. If you take the MTR to the HK Island side, Causeway Bay MTR is directly under a 10 (???) stories retail mall complex - including the Japanese equivalent of Bloomingdale/Macy's - and, again, more restaurants. Plus, hundreds more places for a huge variety of dining options & prices.

Favorites when we are in-town, Portugese chicken (curried flavor) over rice & (fluffy-light baked pastry) egg tarts as dessert.

Yes, MTR with the Octupus Card is the way to get around & pay for many incidentals. Taxi fare from hotel to KTCT is probably around $70 or $80 HKD, about $10 USD - tip the bell hop $10 HKD & he will be very happy to haul a taxi at the side entrance/exit & make sure the driver knows where you wish to go, etc.

Once you are done checking in for the sailing, you can probably take the free shopping mall shuttle out to the nearby mall/MTR station, and go from there. Bus #5A (I think) is the exclusive route serving KT and nearby MTR - or for about the same - the 16 pax PMB (Public Mini Bus, Rt. 86) and, you can use the Octopus Card to hover/swipe to pay for the ride/fare

Details here - http://www.16seats.net/eng/gmb/gk_86.html

For lunch, dinner, etc. - besides browsing the multi-story Telford Plaza Mall, the end/starting point for #86 PMB - is the variety of eateries & food court inside, you can consider them hidden. Checkout their posted menu & prices - just about anything you can imagine & wish for (not going to steer you to Pizza Hut, Burger King or KFC ... :halo: )

http://www.telford-plaza.com/eng/tp/dining/list?pageNo=1&foodType=3

One of the major local chain is the "Maxim's" group - you will find their bakery/cafe shop inside just about every other MTR station's concourse, if not everyone of them - Octopus Card cheerfully accepted, along with cash & of course, debit & credit cards. If you are trying to find one along busy Nathan Road, odds are that they are "upstairs" in the malls or in the basement (street level rent is crazy sky high) - here's a link to their selections, menus to start planning (warning, if you gain weight before your cruise, I am not responsible ;p )

http://www.maxims.com.hk/tc/index.asp

Another popular local dining group - comfort/fast food chain, like our local Denny's & IHOP in the good old USA - is the Cafe de Coral ... largely order by the # & self-service pickup with variety of Chinese & "Western" choices ... French Toast should be available but pancakes, not too popular. It's inside this mall.

If you end you going to the Kowloon Bay MTR Station, just duck inside one of the retail malls & check out what's available - fewer tourists come to these places where the locals eat & shop, you will be fine eating there.

Word of caution - (fresh) seafood prices in HK can be mad crazy high, by the ouces, not by the pounds or kg when they posted the prices next to the fish tanks - that steamed sea brass can easily come a thousand dollars+ alone, depending ... (yes, like $125 USD) - same for those large or jumbo prawns or Aussie (live) lobsters, etc. - if the waiter or captain get pushy or insist, just politely declined & say everyone is allegic to and will get sick eating seafood ...

Wong Tai Sin MTR is connected to/above shopping malls, you will find traditional restaurants there as well, and for the morning hours - dim sum. That's where the locals go to enjoy their tea & read their newspapers (yes, many still do - despite iPads) for betting on race horses, a popular sporting pasture at Happy Valley.

Closer to Metropark - across over on Nathan Road, upstairs in the one of the smaller shopping mall with little shops - elevators up to 4 or 5 th floor is a very nice dim sum & classic Chinese restaurants, good food & prices - dim sum are cooked to order & come out steaming hot ... don't have the name, but cross over & look up, it's pretty hard to miss it. Another block over at Sai Yeung Choi Street, where the mini-buses are ... small restaurants & cafe, and a good # of them serving excellent thin-skinned wonton soup & wonton and noodles soup, BBQ meat (pork, chicken, roast duck, etc.) & noodles soup, variety of congees (rice porridge) and stirred/pan fried noodles with beef, shrimp, etc. ... most of them probably don't speak much English since it catered mostly to locals, but you can usually point & order using the pictorial food menu. A block from Metropark on Lai Chi Kwok Road, toward Nathan Road is a hotpot place as in Shabu Shabu - a favorite year-round way to eat with friends & families ... so many choices & so little time, huh.

Closer to Tsim Sha Tsui area at the Jordan Road MTR Station (1 stop away - it's walkable along Nathan Road) - are variety of restaurants as well ... Japanese, Thai, etc. If you take the MTR to the HK Island side, Causeway Bay MTR is directly under a 10 (???) stories retail mall complex - including the Japanese equivalent of Bloomingdale/Macy's - and, again, more restaurants. Plus, hundreds more places for a huge variety of dining options & prices.

Favorites when we are in-town, Portugese chicken (curried flavor) over rice & (fluffy-light baked pastry) egg tarts as dessert.

WOW! Again thank you for your incredible insight and recommendations. It's always great to have rec from people that have walked the walk and been there! I've got a lot of printing to do before I leave and I'm extremely grateful!

Someone mentioned Wong Tai Sin. If you go there don’t miss Wing Lau Yuen Sze Chuan Noodle Restaurant at 15 Fang Tak Road (exit A). One street behind it are the famous cart noodles. Can your husband read Chinese? He can download an app OpenRice to find the details. These noodles are local as traditional you can’t find anywhere in the world. They are delicious.

Someone mentioned Wong Tai Sin. If you go there don’t miss Wing Lau Yuen Sze Chuan Noodle Restaurant at 15 Fang Tak Road (exit A). One street behind it are the famous cart noodles. Can your husband read Chinese? He can download an app OpenRice to find the details. These noodles are local as traditional you can’t find anywhere in the world. They are delicious.

Nope, neither one of us read chinese....but I'll make a note and store it in my phone. Thanks for the tip! Terri