Cabo: 1st Time Questions, Real Mexico?

TLCOhio

Am looking to do a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco cruise through the Panama Canal in late February-early March 2017. This includes a 8 am to 5 pm tendered stop in Cabo San Lucas. It would be on Sunday, March 12. This would be our first time for visiting Columbia, Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico, etc. From many friends who have visited there, we have heard great things on Cabo, but we will be there only for a short time period.

Any special secrets, ideas, suggestions, experiences, etc., to share as to where is best to feed our interests in history, photography, nature, sampling the people and character of this area, etc.?? Just doing too much of the usual tourist stops/shopping is not our priority and/or interest. Nor is the "beach-scene" our top priority.

I have been told by my travel agent that going north of Cabo gets out of the typical tourist things and offers the potential to see more of a genuine Mexico experience. There are several good ship excursion options that we are considering. And being a Sunday when we will be here, does that affect our options and potentials?

Given our limited time here during this one day, doing a private tour might not be as much of priority or that available. Or, should that be very important to do in order to see more, lessening the crowds, waiting for folks to unload and load on the bus, etc. Looking forward to the smart sharing of any good, unique ideas. And, love to read any and all key photo tips for this special part of the world. Will reading more through the various earlier posts on this CC board.

THANKS for the help! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 43,669 views for these postings.

There is a museum in Cabo in the town square which is walking distance from the ship

http://www.cabosanlucas.net/esp/que-hacer/museos-cabo-la-paz.php

It is done in English.

As for photography, get a taxi to take you to the top of Pedregal which will offer a great view of the harbor.

Cabo is a resort so trying to get the real flavor of Mexico in such a short time could be difficult. San Jose del Cabo old town is charming, but again, it's not real Mexico.

Being on a Sunday won't matter, but it is spring break, so expect things to be crowded, even in town. There are still whales that time of year if you want to go whale watching. Also, you can take a water taxi tour to the arch where you will have a chance to see the sea lions lounging. The taxi usually brings bread to attract the fish.

Hi Terry - love your fotos on some of the other threads and so seeing as a FL to LA Panama Canal traverse is on my list, I'm looking forward to your snaps being posted here...

IMHO though Cabo San Lucas is as 'authentico' as Hearst Castle :rolleyes:

San Juan del Cabo is a bit more laid back, arty and easy to get to and from via local bus (even if working out the schedule can be fun - it'd generally 20 minutes or so after the last one). However, I'd consider Todos Santos (about an hour north). Again it's an artist community but there are some great little back streets wander around and some good local eateries.

I'd check the "Los Cabos" thread over on Trip Advisor for more ideas

I have been told by my travel agent that going north of Cabo gets out of the typical tourist things and offers the potential to see more of a genuine Mexico experience. There are several good ship excursion options that we are considering. And being a Sunday when we will be here, does that affect our options and potentials?

It really depends on what you mean by genuine. The tourist areas are truly genuine Mexican experiences. You'll see beautiful water, scenery, restaurants, etc.

If by genuine, you want to see locations catering to everyday Mexicans you can see that as well by just going one or two blocks off the main tourist drag. For example, if you walk on Calle José Ma. Morelos y Pavón in Cabo San Lucas, you'll see regular stores that normal people shop at. The start of the street is just the other side of the harbor.

If you go there, I would suggest you eat at "El Pollo de Oro" - the golden chicken - for lunch. Great BBQ, juices, etc. It is on the corner of 20 de noviembre on the right side of the street heading north from up from the harbor. You'll see lots of locals and some tourists eating what I take to be genuine Mexican food. In any event I like and get some meal every time I visit the area.

Have fun and enjoy the experience regardless of what you do!

Edited by SelectSys

It really depends on what you mean by genuine. The tourist areas are truly genuine Mexican experiences. You'll see beautiful water, scenery, restaurants, etc. If by genuine, you want to see locations catering to everyday Mexicans you can see that as well by just going one or two blocks off the main tourist drag. For example, if you walk on Calle José Ma. Morelos y Pavón in Cabo San Lucas, you'll see regular stores that normal people shop at. The start of the street is just the other side of the harbor. If you go there, I would suggest you eat at "El Pollo de Oro" - the golden chicken - for lunch. Great BBQ, juices, etc. It is on the corner of 20 de noviembre on the right side of the street heading north from up from the harbor. You'll see lots of locals and some tourists eating what I take to be genuine Mexican food.

BritinSoCal: Hi Terry - love your fotos on some of the other threads and so seeing as a FL to LA Panama Canal traverse is on my list' date=' I'm looking forward to your snaps being posted here... IMHO though Cabo San Lucas is as 'authentico' as Hearst Castle [b']San Juan del Cabo[/b] is a bit more laid back, arty and easy to get to and from via local bus (even if working out the schedule can be fun - it'd generally 20 minutes or so after the last one). However, I'd consider Todos Santos (about an hour north). Again it's an artist community but there are some great little back streets wander around and some good local eateries.

CWcruisers: As for photography' date=' get a [b']taxi to take you to the top of Pedregal [/b]which will offer a great view of the harbor. Cabo is a resort so trying to get the real flavor of Mexico in such a short time could be difficult. San Jose del Cabo old town is charming, but again, it's not real Mexico. Being on a Sunday won't matter, but it is spring break, so expect things to be crowded, even in town. There are still whales that time of year if you want to go whale watching. Also, you can take a water taxi tour to the arch where you will have a chance to see the sea lions lounging. The taxi usually brings bread to attract the fish.

Appreciate these excellent suggestions and ideas. Am copying and saving in the trip file on my laptop computer. Very helpful with these potentials to consider. Keep it coming with these various tips and secrets. This is very beneficial background that aids me and I am sure for others checking this thread.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 157,130 views for this posting.

As mentioned Cabo isnot that mexican anymore.

Indeed San Jose del Cabo is just a bit more mexican. Nice church on the main square.

In case you find a private driver (and of course depending the hours you will be in Cabo), you might consider the nice - about 1 hour each way -drive and visit to Todos Santos.

Rumor (and it is just a rumor) is the song Hotel California was based on the hotel with that name. https://todossantos.cc/

If you go there, I would suggest you eat at "El Pollo de Oro" - the golden chicken - for lunch. Great BBQ, juices, etc. It is on the corner of 20 de noviembre on the right side of the street heading north from up from the harbor. You'll see lots of locals and some tourists eating what I take to be genuine Mexican food. In any event I like and get some meal every time I visit the area.

Another vote for El Pollo de Oro, really good and very inexpensive. Ask someone for directions to Morales Street, the main shopping street for the locals.

SelectSys I don't know when the last time you were in Cabo was, but right across the street from El Pollo de Oro is Il Forno, an Italian restaurant. Some of the best Italian food I've had outside of Italy and also very reasonably priced. Gigi, the owner, is from Sicily. Try it out next time you are in town.

SelectSys I don't know when the last time you were in Cabo was, but right across the street from El Pollo de Oro is Il Forno, an Italian restaurant. Some of the best Italian food I've had outside of Italy and also very reasonably priced. Gigi, the owner, is from Sicily. Try it out next time you are in town.

I haven't been there since last year. I will keep it on the list for trying out on a future visit. I always like to find another good Italian restaurant.

Terry - here's something simple you might like to squeeze in: take a water taxi out to the rock formations for photographs. (the arch)

You always have such lovely photos and helpful answers for CC questions - I hope you are able to pull together a nice visit to the Cabo area based on advice in this thread.

Maddle

• 1 month later...
Terry - here's something simple you might like to squeeze in: take a water taxi out to the rock formations for photographs. (the arch) You always have such lovely photos and helpful answers for CC questions - I hope you are able to pull together a nice visit to the Cabo area based on advice in this thread. Maddle

Appreciate from Maddle and others ALL of these good and helpful tips. Am saving in my computer file these excellent ideas and suggestions. Keep it coming!! Getting within two and a half months of our departure date from Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco. It getting very cold in the Midwest now and we need to be looking forward to some warmer weather, nice beaches, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 206,378 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Suggest you make use of Google street view to preview all the good places other posters have suggested. Might help you narrow things down.

We like to walk around the area to the west through the north of the Marina. Close to the Marina are lots of good places to eat. The further away you get, the more "Mexico" it gets.

Don't forget your sun protection. Most likely it will be hot and there is precious little shade.

Am looking to do a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco cruise through the Panama Canal in late February-early March 2017. This includes a 8 am to 5 pm tendered stop in Cabo San Lucas. It would be on Sunday, March 12. This would be our first time for visiting Columbia, Panama Canal, Central America, Mexico, etc. From many friends who have visited there, we have heard great things on Cabo, but we will be there only for a short time period.

Any special secrets, ideas, suggestions, experiences, etc., to share as to where is best to feed our interests in history, photography, nature, sampling the people and character of this area, etc.?? Just doing too much of the usual tourist stops/shopping is not our priority and/or interest. Nor is the "beach-scene" our top priority.

Given our limited time here during this one day, doing a private tour might not be as much of priority or that available. Or, should that be very important to do in order to see more, lessening the crowds, waiting for folks to unload and load on the bus, etc. Looking forward to the smart sharing of any good, unique ideas. And, love to read any and all key photo tips for this special part of the world. Will reading more through the various earlier posts on this CC board.

THANKS for the help! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 43,669 views for these postings.

Cabo is west coast Cancun..no rusticness at all... there is a Walmart and Costco... however you can ride camels and have wonderful food and drink!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

would love feedback from you after you get back! we are planning on taking a water taxi to the arch to see the sea lions, and wandering after that.

This is exactly what we did last year and we loved it! Very easy to get a taxi, they'll be right there waiting for you, lots of them. We paid I think $20. for the 2 of us, afterwards I noticed folks getting them for $15. so you can negotiate. The boats have a window on the bottom, nice boat ride to the arch, sea lions close by, they feed the fish so you see alot of action through the window. Afterwards we walked through though the market & made our way to Cabo Wabofor tacos and beer. On the way back we paid $25.00 for massages along the roadside (noticed a small sign), we really enjoyed them. Very enjoyable time, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Sharon

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

We have done half day fishing charters out of Cabo. Our favorite was on a 45 ft. Bertram, rather luxurious for a fishing charter, but a great day on the water. There is abundant marine life viewing - sea turtles, seals, porpoises, sometimes humpback whales, and the ever-present pelicans.

If you have adequate time in port, a wonderful splurge excursion is a trip north to Magdalena Bay (Bahia de Magdalena) where you will board a guided small open boat or "panga" to be close to the gray whale mothers and their calves. This has been one of our most memorable travel experiences in Mexico.

Another restaurant idea, our favorite in downtown Cabo San Lucas, is Panchos. It's a few blocks walk from the touristy area near the port, but definitely excellent food, friendly service, and a world away from the Senor Frog's port restaurant experience.

http://www.panchos.com/

We have visited Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and the nearby area by cruise ship and during extended land-based stays. Our favorite nearby city is La Paz, with its colonial buildings, less touristy ambiance, and traditional Malecon. Twice we have been on cruises where Cabo was a scheduled tender port, but the seas were such that tendering was deemed to be not prudent and therefore the port was missed.

Enjoy your Panama Canal cruise! Our two "canal" cruises were favorites. We are actually thinking about a third!

• 3 weeks later...
We have done half day fishing charters out of Cabo. Our favorite was on a 45 ft. Bertram, rather luxurious for a fishing charter, but a great day on the water. There is abundant marine life viewing - sea turtles, seals, porpoises, sometimes humpback whales, and the ever-present pelicans. If you have adequate time in port, a wonderful splurge excursion is a trip north to Magdalena Bay (Bahia de Magdalena) where you will board a guided small open boat or "panga" to be close to the gray whale mothers and their calves. This has been one of our most memorable travel experiences in Mexico. Another restaurant idea, our favorite in downtown Cabo San Lucas, is Panchos. It's a few blocks walk from the touristy area near the port, but definitely excellent food, friendly service, and a world away from the Senor Frog's port restaurant experience. http://www.panchos.com/ We have visited Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, and the nearby area by cruise ship and during extended land-based stays. Our favorite nearby city is La Paz, with its colonial buildings, less touristy ambiance, and traditional Malecon. Twice we have been on cruises where Cabo was a scheduled tender port, but the seas were such that tendering was deemed to be not prudent and therefore the port was missed. Enjoy your Panama Canal cruise! Our two "canal" cruises were favorites. We are actually thinking about a third!

Appreciate this above info, plus the other helpful suggestions. Very much of value and help. Keep it coming. Now at less than two months until we depart from Fort Lauderdale on Feb. 27. Lots of planning and research still needed.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,956 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From what I've gathered, the Cabo San lucas is so touristy. But what about San Jose Del Cabo? I was looking at a tour that goes there and it seems like more of a cultural experience. It definitely interested me but my kids would spend the day on their phones:rolleyes:

This is a private tour but from the sounds of it, would give you more of historic feel of the area, history of the settlements. https://cabosanlucascruiseexcursions.com/excursions/private-coastal-highlights-site-seeing/

The other place i've heard about is Todo Santos but don't know too much about it

• 4 months later...

WOW!! We really loved Cabo. Below is a connection for the live/blog from our March experiences in doing this fun "adventure". Lots of pictures posted from Cabo. Great fun and sights. Lovely weather. This trip included our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great San Francisco. Very special and interesting in seeing the Panama Canal and learning about its creation/construction.

Getting ready in six days to be departing for Lisbon and our first visit to Portugal. Then, we will be seeing NW Spain, Bordeaux and Brittany also for the first times in these charming regions. Will do a live/blog for these "adventures". Join in and feel free to ask any questions as we sail. It will be on the Silversea Cruise Critic board.

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

• 2 months later...

Been reading about the U.S. State Department put out this week that was very shocking. Sadly, based on the current challenges, we might be in the "one and done" category for visiting Mexico. We will hope for the best in the future.

BUT, yes, Cabo was super wonderful for us during our visit. Need evidence? Here are few of my visual samples to prove its description of "gorgeous" that many have used for this location. You can see many more Cabo pictures and details on page three of my live/blog at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 34,143 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Here is that famed “hole” at El Arco de Cabo San Lucas. This icon sight is shown both from the Sea of Cortez and Pacific Ocean sides. Great “drama” on such a bright, sunny day!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)MarTravel2017A%20099_zps19gbqeqa.jpg

MarTravel2017A%20103_zps8vah8aio.jpg

We were so fortunate to have some great views of seals and sea lions. Such fun as these pictures illustrate. Don’t you just love these anmals and their great facial expressions?:

MarTravel2017A%20100_zps8zug5x4h.jpg

Here is another wildlife picture from our private water taxi boat tour down to the bottom of El Arco de Cabo San Lucas. Good-looking bird?:

MarTravel2017A%20102_zpsgacbnxke.jpg

Here is one typical visual from the shopping area of Cabo as we walked after our water taxi tour down to the rocks, “hole” and back. Yes, lots of nice-looking buildings, places to spend money, etc., in Cabo. Even a big shopping mall here with many of the “usual suspects” located there, etc.:

MarTravel2017A%20109_zpsfpcuwm4d.jpg

My wife is enjoying her drink!! We had a brunch here and the food was super outstanding. WOW!! Great drinks, food and sights on the beach at The Office dining location! Plus, perfect weather and a wide variety of “people action”! What can be better?.:

MarTravel2017A%20111_zpsnisvymjx.jpg

• 4 months later...

From Travel+Leisure this month, they have this headline: Best Places to Travel in 2018 with their highlighting of this top Mexico location of Cabo San Lucas.

They featured these key details: "Located at the tip of the Baja Peninsula, the two small colonial towns of Cabo San Lucas and San José del Cabo have become the hottest vacation destinations in Mexico in recent years. With wide, pristine beaches, lively nightclubs, glam resorts, and a farm-to-table food scene, the oasis of Los Cabos is drawing tourists in record numbers. As a result, the hotel scene is booming, with a clutch of new developments and renovations completed this year. A new crop of five-star brands are coming in 2018, including the Zadún, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, the Four Seasons Los Cabos at Costa Palmas, the Montage Los Cabos, 1 Hotel & Homes, and the first Nobu Hotel in Mexico. Foodies will want to make a reservation at Acre, a restaurant-farm from executive chefs Kevin Luzande and Oscar Torres.

Great added background on Cabo San Lucas. Love to go back. We really enjoyed our visit there. BUT, we have other plans for the next year or so. For late January 2018, we will be doing our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”. Then for late November, 2018, looking to do an Athens to Dubai, 20-day cruise with Oceania, including our first visits to the Holy Lands, Egypt, Middle East, etc.

Full story at:

http://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-ideas/best-places-to-travel-in-2018#nacujam-bay-croatia

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 54,611 views for these postings.

• 2 weeks later...

From the New York Times Travel Section coming this Sunday, they have this headline: “52 Places to Go in 2018”with these highlights for this part of Mexico: Miles from raucous Cabo San Lucas, the East Cape of Cabo, a formerly sleepy stretch of fishing villages, is buzzing, as is the more touristy neighboring Corridor. In the Corridor, Chileno Bay, a sleek, contemporary resort with a restaurant helmed by a French Laundry alum, opened in 2017; in the East Cape, the Four Seasons Resort and Residences Los Cabos at Costa Palmas is expected by late 2018. Kite surfers frequent the ocean, and immersive experiences surround the region’s farms, like Acre Baja, with a design-forward dining room and bar, activities (yoga, hiking) and treehouses for overnight stays.

Last year we super loved our first visit to Cabo. It was a brief sampling of Mexico. BUT, wow, the history, charm, food, scenery, etc., was wonderful there. Nice to see Cabo gets such high ratings and top recognition to encourage others to visit this part of the world.

Full story at:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/travel/places-to-visit.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Ftravel&action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 36,490 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

If you visit that area again, take a look at Todos Santos. It is interesting.

Another suggestion would be a ten day cruise that goes to LaPaz and Loreto. Both are a little out of the normal tourist loop and pretty authentic. A trip from Loreto up the mountain to San Javier Mission was,a real treat for us.

• 4 weeks later...
This is exactly what we did last year and we loved it! Very easy to get a taxi, they'll be right there waiting for you, lots of them. We paid I think $20. for the 2 of us, afterwards I noticed folks getting them for $15. so you can negotiate. The boats have a window on the bottom, nice boat ride to the arch, sea lions close by, they feed the fish so you see alot of action through the window. Afterwards we walked through though the market & made our way to Cabo Wabofor tacos and beer. On the way back we paid $25.00 for massages along the roadside (noticed a small sign), we really enjoyed them. Very enjoyable time, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Sharon

Sent from my SM-T810 using Forums mobile app

Great advice!! Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums