Am I allowed to take food off the ship when in port?

skudy

Can I grab snacks, like a couple pieces of fruit or some cookies, and take it off the ship when visiting a port? Or is this a no-no?

Hi

No, no. Pre packaged foods are allowed to be brought off the ship.

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Can I grab snacks, like a couple pieces of fruit or some cookies, and take it off the ship when visiting a port? Or is this a no-no?

Great question.

You are not allowed to bring fruit, meat, cheeses, etc off the ship in port, however you can bring pre packaged granola

bars, protein bars, crackers with cheese , nuts and prepackaged cereal. Anything that is pre packaged is fine. Nothing from the buffet though.

Since you'll be visiting a foreign port, why not experience the food from the culture you are visiting? It's actually very, very good.

To add to what others have said, fruit is specifically not allowed off the ship, even when returning to the U.S. port at the end of the cruise. Some ports (Cozumel springs to mind) even have fruit-sniffing dogs and authorities on the pier to check each guest and their backpacks, totes, etc. You can be fined.

Great question.

You are not allowed to bring fruit, meat, cheeses, etc off the ship in port, however you can bring pre packaged granola

bars, protein bars, crackers with cheese , nuts and prepackaged cereal. Anything that is pre packaged is fine. Nothing from the buffet though.

Since you'll be visiting a foreign port, why not experience the food from the culture you are visiting? It's actually very, very good.

Why can't one take the prepackaged cereal or crackers from the buffet? How do they know that is where it came from? What is different about prepackaged stuff from the buffet?

The others are correct - prepackaged food only.

We frequently take boxes of cereal from the buffet or protein bars that we've brought from home when doing beach/snorkel/diving excursions. Especially when diving - you get really hungry after the 1st dive & having a snack tides you over for the 2nd dive. Then, back to port where you can get a real meal in port or on the ship.

You CAN take the prepackaged items like the cereal but NOT a sandwich or apple. It is to protect the port from the transfer of insects that could harm the local environment.

Thank you.

This eliminates the need for cities to be sprayed with insecticides. Lived thru Southern California’s Malathion cropdusting in the late 80’s-early 90’s. They used cropdusting helicopters to spray whole neighborhoods trying to get rid of the Mediterranean Fruit Fly.

Why can't one take the prepackaged cereal or crackers from the buffet? How do they know that is where it came from? What is different about prepackaged stuff from the buffet?

That's what I meant but didn't say it right, I guess. Nothing from the buffet EXCEPT prepackaged cereal. Doesn't matter where the pre packaged stuff comes from.

Note: you can carry off whatever you want to in your tummy. Eat a hearty breakfast and you will be full for a while on shore.

We like to get off the ship early, hit the beach while still early, and get back to the ship 1-ish and have a late lunch. Then back off the ship to explore the port area, or maybe hang out on deck or take a nap, depending on the weather.

Prepackaged foods are fine. Anything NOT in factory packaging...nope...don't even try. You can be fined...or JAILED for trying to bring "contraband" ashore. There is a reason for the laws...not rules...LAWS. Buy lunch ashore, or go back to the ship, if you don't want to spend $20 on lunch.

I guess 1 or 2 answers weren't enough.

So, just in case 12 answers aren't enough, it's a no no to take food off the ship and into port.

and so others won't post to be more correct, yes, pre-packaged is allowed.

Yet you still felt a need to add another answer.

Funny that, it’s OK for you to answer but not others.:confused::o

They say no but we always do and sometimes make sandwiches for the day, its up to you

The last time we were in Progresso, there were police, with police dogs. I thought the dogs were there for drugs, nope, food. This woman walked off the ship with a back pack full of fruit, she was walking along the pier, and the dog (german shepard) had his nose right at her back pack. Two police came in on the left and right and asked her to empty her back pack. She turned around and went back on the ship. I had slim jims (wrapped) and crackers (wrapped) and no puppy followed me.:cool: