Odor in Reflection stateroom 8244

jeffb1062

We was on the June 8 th sailing of Italy and the Greek Isles. When we check into the room it had a very nasty smell , we had family in the next room and their room didn’t smell. Anyone else have this issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We was on the June 8 th sailing of Italy and the Greek Isles. When we check into the room it had a very nasty smell , we had family in the next room and their room didn’t smell. Anyone else have this issue?

Did you address this issue/concern with the stateroom housekeeping staff? What actions did they take?? If those actions were not sufficient to resolve the issue, did you follow up with guest services or the hotel supervisors???

Knowing what you did and the actions of the ship staff (successful or not) are more helpful to others than knowing if anybody else experienced the same issue... IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you address this issue/concern with the stateroom housekeeping staff? What actions did they take?? If those actions were not sufficient to resolve the issue, did you follow up with guest services or the hotel supervisors???

Knowing what you did and the actions of the ship staff (successful or not) are more helpful to others than knowing if anybody else experienced the same issue... IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes we brought it to the room attendant and of course he didn’t smell it,but the second time we told him about it he said he did smell something and had the ventilation system looked at, the smell was gone for about a day it came back. Then we went to the desk relations desk and they got the floor supervisor out to the room and he said they would clean the carpet and rechecked the ventilation sys again. Came back from dinner and it was better for a day. The last day we told the attendant that the smell was back. He came back into the room and sprayed cleaner into the intake of the ventilation system....really that’s how they took care of it.

I doubt if anyone who was in the room before you is going to confess to being the source of the unpleasant odor,

And now Those who occupied the program after you will be blaming you!

It actually smelled like a urine based smell

Maybe past passengers have a babe or boy that who urinated in bed or in the sofa

This is connecting cabin with 8246

Yes we had family in that cabin and theirs didn’t smell

Maybe they should have replaced the mattress,..

Hope OP makes a note on cabin sticky

Hi, I assume this refers to notes on actual cabins on Reflection? How do I find this as I'm on Reflection in a few weeks, cabins 7138 & 7192, and would like to see if there are any notes on these cabins.

Thanks

Bubbles

Typically, a "sewer" like smell in a cabin is a result of a dry drain trap. Drain traps like the sink and shower see water on a daily basis, so these are not the problem. However, there is a floor drain in the bathroom (either a gutter type at the door, or a round drain tucked under the toilet. This drain only sees water if the shower overflows, so the dry air from the A/C tends to evaporate the water in this trap, and odors come back up the line, which is what the trap is designed to stop, so long as it has water in it. Pouring a glass of water down the drain will stop the odor in about a minute, and doing this every couple of days will prevent this from happening. It always amazes me how clueless the ships' hotel staff are about basic things, even when I've spent the time to educate them about simple things like these drains.

Typically, a "sewer" like smell in a cabin is a result of a dry drain trap. Drain traps like the sink and shower see water on a daily basis, so these are not the problem. However, there is a floor drain in the bathroom (either a gutter type at the door, or a round drain tucked under the toilet. This drain only sees water if the shower overflows, so the dry air from the A/C tends to evaporate the water in this trap, and odors come back up the line, which is what the trap is designed to stop, so long as it has water in it. Pouring a glass of water down the drain will stop the odor in about a minute, and doing this every couple of days will prevent this from happening. It always amazes me how clueless the ships' hotel staff are about basic things, even when I've spent the time to educate them about simple things like these drains.

This is a really useful tip. We had a similar problem at home which was resolved exactly as you describe.

Please forgive me if the answer is obvious -- where does one find this drain? In the shower or would housekeeping have to access?

ETA: just re read your post, question still if guest can access or if housekeeping would be necessary?

This is a really useful tip. We had a similar problem at home which was resolved exactly as you describe.

Please forgive me if the answer is obvious -- where does one find this drain? In the shower or would housekeeping have to access?

As noted, it is either a "gutter" type (long narrow grating) across the doorway, or it is a round plastic grating which is typically tucked under the wall mounted toilet. It is separate from the shower drain. Nothing to access, if it is the under the toilet drain, just "spill" some water in the vacinity of the drain, and it will go down.

They checked the drains, but it didn’t smell like a sewer drainage. The smell was not in the bathroom in the room where you would stand and get the whiff of it kinda where the vent comes out, also the a/ c wasn’t getting really cold. I think that was putting out the odor

There were pigs in your room .

There were pigs in your room .

Ha ha ...not funny we paid a lot for this cruise and we didn’t like the odor.our family was in the adjoining room and they didn’t have the odor. 10 days if it was giving my wife a headache and we just wanted to relax

• 1 month later...
Or an adult with a drinks package.

I would say this would be the most likely cause.

Shame to hear it persisted or put a dampener on your cruise... no pun intended :lips-sealed::lips-sealed::lips-sealed: