Mitsugirly takes great PRIDE in bringing her Spring Break extreme review

mitsugirly

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all. This will be my April 5th-12th Spring Break review and pictorial from our Carnival Pride cruise to Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Freeport out of Baltimore. I hope you enjoy it.

P4060093%20copy-L.jpg

A little about "me" (us). I have been cruising since the 80's & 90's off and on and "full time" (hehe) since 2010. We try to take at least 2 cruises a year but have been fortunate enough to cruise 3 times last year and I'm hoping it will be the same for this year.

We normally cruise with NCL...I don't know, it was the first cruise line we ever cruised with and I kinda stuck to it with buying the future cruise certificates and getting great deals with the kids/family sail free specials. However, I tried Carnival for the first time in 2013 on the Dream and LOVED it!!! I vowed to do Carnival again in the future and I'm very sorry to say I am just now getting around to it again. Although this was only our 2nd Carnival cruise, once again, it will NOT be our last!!! The only other line I have been on is RC and that was back in the 90's. I hope to sail with them again, I just need a raise to do so...a huge raise. (wink wink).

So since this is my second Carnival cruise, I will not bore you with comparisons between the 2 lines (Carnival vs NCL) since I did that in my first review (located in my signature line) of the Dream. However, I will throw in a few things here and there with both lines when I feel the need. Fair enough?

I have been to many ports (some several times) in the Caribbean and hopefully have helped a lot of you cc people out with my detailed reviews, suggestions and answers on the ports of call sections. I try to be as detailed as possible and I'm a picture FREAK! I'm a visual person and have to see things in detail to get a better feel for what I'm looking at. I'm a research fanatic and will spend months and months reviewing, searching and asking questions over and over before making a decision. So many of you cc cruisers have helped me out in the past and I love to give back to the community as much as I can. I will not sway a person one way or the other but like to give MY honest opinion...and we all know that opinions are VERY different between people and just because I may or may not like something by no means determines whether or not you will be the same. I only give MY experiences and hope that you will dig deeper into whatever interest you.

Now, who I cruise with...normally (well always) the hubby and my 6 year old...wait NEWLY TURNED 7 YEAR OLD (this weekend) BIG GIRL, Sakari. Sometimes my oldest daughter (Kendra, now 26), her boyfriend and my grandson (Brayden, who is the same age as my youngest but 3 months apart) will join us. Then my youngest son (age 20) and his girlfriend (21) have joined us twice now. I have yet to get my oldest son (28) back on a cruise since he was a teen. Some day...

This cruise, it will be myself, hubby, Sakari, Kendra and grandson Brayden.

We (well truth be known, I) scoured the Internet for the perfect cruise to add to our "collection" for Sakari's Spring Break. I knew I had wanted to come back to Carnival and it was a task to find the perfect cruise. I knew I wanted to try different ports this time around as well. I'm hoping this year will be full of different ports than the past (I'll be doing my first Bermuda cruise in 45 days from now). After polling the people on here between 4 different ships....I picked a totally different ship than the 4 I had posted...thanks to, once again, wonderful suggestions from people on here. The Pride it was. After a lot of research and interrogation from everyone I could, I found that it came highly recommended, had just had the 2.0 updates, Dr Seuss, water works, Guys Burgers, Blue Iguana Cantina and looked fabulous!

Now...just throwing this out there...but this is the MOST EXPENSIVE cruise I have EVER taken...like ever!! Like 2 1/2 times the amount I normally pay for any cruise. However, with the Pride cruising out of Baltimore, I would save what I would normally pay in air flight and that was the way I was able to justify booking it...to the hubby at least. Also, the ports we would be visiting would basically be "free" ports and we wouldn't incur additional expenses with these ports if we didn't want to. Cha-ching, another point checked off in my direction. Hubby agreed, we booked. (Now that I have to pull too many strings for him to want to cruise again lol). However, I bragged a little too much to Kendra about this upcoming cruise that she worked and saved every dime she could...and booked it too. But this time, she left the bf at home and it was just her and my grandson this time around. Now anyone who has read my reviews in the past, know my grandson is...um, well...a little terror to say the least. Constant reminding and threatening does not go a long way with him. I love him to death, but man does he strike a nerve when he can. Just saying...

So the Pride was booked and the planning had begun and I will tell more about that during the review.

As you can all tell by now, I'm a little winded with my reviews. Yes they are long. Yes they have a lot of detail in them. Yes, they contain a lot of pictures. If you are not prepared for that or like the short and sweet reviews, this one is probably not for you.

However, I can say this is the first time I have started a review and have ALL my pictures picked out, done and hosted. So all I have to do is type and insert pictures. It should go a lot quicker than most of my reviews. I know how people can get a little anxious waiting for more. I'll try to do my best. Hey, I want this over with as soon as possible too so I can continue making plans for Bermuda. ;)

So let the fun begin...

I have been following quite a few of your reviews. Since my first cruise will be a western Caribbean I was curious if you have any more reviews other than your first carnival dream review and how do I find it? New to CC and Cruising. [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I have been following quite a few of your reviews. Since my first cruise will be a western Caribbean I was curious if you have any more reviews other than your first carnival dream review and how do I find it? New to CC and Cruising. [emoji1]

All of the links to her cruises and ports are at the bottom of her page in her signature. She is on the breeze right now and we are all patiently waiting for that review!!

We are sailing the Pride, again, in September. What cabin did you have? We try to book 5150.

I wish they would keep the old room service and breakfast menu but it sounds like they are now changed.

What is Bonsai Sushi like? I think that's new for the Pride. Is it sit down service now?

I REALLY enjoy your reviews! thanks for the time and effort that goes into them!

[Q UOTE=mickev99;49567307]All of the links to her cruises and ports are at the bottom of her page in her signature. She is on the breeze right now and we are all patiently waiting for that review!!

I'm new to CC and still figuring out how everything works. How do I get to her page to her signature?

[Q UOTE=mickev99;49567307]All of the links to her cruises and ports are at the bottom of her page in her signature. She is on the breeze right now and we are all patiently waiting for that review!!

I'm new to CC and still figuring out how everything works. How do I get to her page to her signature?

You have to be on the regular website and not using one of the mobile apps to see her signature line and all of her links.

However, you can click on her picture on the mobile app, which will take you to her profile, then click on on her posts which will then be categorized by threads she started or ones she just replied to. Her reviews will be in the ones she started. But be warned, she is a big poster so you will be scanning through a lot!

Her reviews are very good and you will feel like you are in the cruise with her!

Good Luck!

You can go back one page to page 37 and to Kim's (Mitsugirly) post #722. Below her countdown clock is NCL with a list of ships underlined, then CARNIVAL with Dream and Pride underlined. Those are the links to her reviews. Click on any you want to read! :D

MEDICAL CENTER INFO:

Now I know most of you are not interested in this info, but since I'm a nurse, it interest me and I had to take a visit there. Hopefully none of you will ever require a visit there.

I did not take pictures of the place itself, but did take a few pictures that might interest some of "info" you may want to know.

P4100067%20copy-L.jpg

P4100066%20copy-L.jpg

P4100068%20copy-L.jpg

I spoke to the nurse down there about her working there. I always thought it would be neat to be a nurse on a cruise ship. So I got the "scoop" from her.

The nurses do 4 month contracts, then they get 1 month vacation in between each contract. She said you do have the option to extend your contract for 2 months if you wanted, but no longer than that.

They do rotate ships and they have 2 nurses on staff on each ship.

She said her hours are when the medical center is open, she works the "clinic" hours (which she made it sound like a long day on those days) and also rotates the "on call/after hours" times with the other nurse.

So of course I pulled out my funtimes to see what these hours consisted of:

Sailaway Days: 3pm-6pm= 3 hours

Sea Days: 8am-12pm & 1p-8p = 11 hours

Port Days: 8a-12p and 1p-8p (Grand Turk)= 11 hours

Port Days: 8a-11a and 3p-6p (HMC) = 6 hours

Port Days: 8a-12p and 1p-8p (Freeport) = 11 hours

So they basically work around 64 hours a week IF they are working every day. I'm not really sure if they rotate those days between the nurses or not since she did mention they always have 2 on staff.

She said starting salary is around $4k a month. If they do work every day and my calculations are correct, that's only around $15/hour, which I can't imagine.

She seemed to LOVE her job and stated that they had no expenses...all the food your little heart desires and room and board during your stay.

She also stated it was "tax free" money. I'm not sure how this would work if you are from the US though. I'm sure most are from foreign countries and maybe don't have to pay the taxes (she stated she was Asian).

I did ask about having family with you or visiting. She stated that they were away from their families during this time and they were not with them. Then behind the medical center doors was another window. Up pops this guy at the window and she looked at him and stated "Sir, you need to go around to this window", while pointing at the window we were at. He laughed and said "no". She said it again, while he laughed again. Then she stated "That is my boyfriend. He's cruising as a guest with me this week" :D So, I didn't go into more details as what it meant to cruise "as a guest". I'm not sure if he was a paying customer on the cruise or they are aloud to bring a guest for 1 week with them free of charge. :confused:

Now I know that I have seen talk around these boards about the "qualifications" of the medical staff. I have seen comments about "they are just medical people but are not trained to take care of certain situations which is why they are life-flighted off or people die or can't be saved or......" whatever. I remember awhile back looking up the qualifications of becoming a cruise ship nurse and I remember it stating you had to be an emergency room nurse for so long, have training in (I believe) critical care ICU, and have several different certifications among other things.

So...I have to disagree with others out there stating that they are "just a nurse" or "just a doctor". I spent the last 4 years working in the emergency room. They have EVERY situation thrown at them (and my hospital is also a trauma center). I have been in every situation possible. Those nurses know their stuff no matter what the situation is. Now whether or not the ship is equipped with the proper equipment for every situation may be a different story. But the staff, yea they are more than qualified for whatever happens to you on a ship. The nurse I spoke to also confirmed these qualifications to me.

This is great info! I am a nurse as well and have always wondered about the contracts. Now if I could just find someone to take care of my husband and kids while I'm gone :rolleyes:

We are sailing the Pride, again, in September. What cabin did you have? We try to book 5150.

I wish they would keep the old room service and breakfast menu but it sounds like they are now changed.

What is Bonsai Sushi like? I think that's new for the Pride. Is it sit down service now?

I REALLY enjoy your reviews! thanks for the time and effort that goes into them!

I believe we had cabin 5247 (or at least that's what I have written down on my "cruise" paper. :p

We haven't ate at the Bonsai Sushi, so I can't comment on the food itself but the place was really nice looking and yes, everyone was sitting down there to eat. I just got off the Breeze and the same thing there.

Thanks so much. :)

Sorry, I was currently on the Breeze cruising and just getting back to answering questions.

It looks like everyone gave you plenty of help on how to access my links in the signature line. Hopefully you were able to do that and find them ok. If not let me know. :)

I was on Pride last summer. Ate at Bonsai three times. My 8 yo loves sushi!

Once was the demonstration where they show you how some things were made.

Once for lunch.

Once for a late dinner (missed YTD).

Every one was very good, but not much different that the my local sushi place.

Sorry I just now saw that you had replied to my reply, didn't mean to ignore you. As the other poster replied, you have to be on the website, not the app, or go to web view from the app to see anyone's signature. You can't see it in the app. I should have mentioned that, sorry!!

It took me a whole week off and on to read your review and I just want to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Your review was so incredibly well written. I laughed at the antics of the shuttle bus driver in Baltimore, I gasped when your daughter got hurt, I was shaking a fist in the air at the family encroaching on your clam shell and salivated at the food pics. I read every post and was so disheartened when it came to an end.

My BF and I are sailing on the Pride at the beginning of the month and we're so excited. We're flying in BWI the day before (we found a very pleasant spot with AirBnB for the night) and plan to be at the port by 10am. With FTTF, we hope to be sipping our first frosty one poolside within the hour. Thank you for all the effort you put into this. Even a year later, your words are a beacon of light. Much, much appreciation!:cool:

(Btw, hot pink is my favorite color and I initially started reading the review because I was attracted to the font color you chose. I had no idea what a tremendous treat was in store for me)

• 2 months later...

I ABSOLUTELY enjoyed your review! I had already read a great review by Jamman54 and he made mention to your review. So I decided if I had time I had to sit and read yours too. So glad I did!! You took awesome pictures, and gave great info!!

We leave tomorrow, and after reading Jamman54 and your reviews, I am super excited and feel a little more informed. So thanks for that!:D

It took me a whole week off and on to read your review and I just want to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Your review was so incredibly well written. I laughed at the antics of the shuttle bus driver in Baltimore, I gasped when your daughter got hurt, I was shaking a fist in the air at the family encroaching on your clam shell and salivated at the food pics. I read every post and was so disheartened when it came to an end.

My BF and I are sailing on the Pride at the beginning of the month and we're so excited. We're flying in BWI the day before (we found a very pleasant spot with AirBnB for the night) and plan to be at the port by 10am. With FTTF, we hope to be sipping our first frosty one poolside within the hour. Thank you for all the effort you put into this. Even a year later, your words are a beacon of light. Much, much appreciation!:cool:

(Btw, hot pink is my favorite color and I initially started reading the review because I was attracted to the font color you chose. I had no idea what a tremendous treat was in store for me)

I'm so sorry that I missed this post initially and I know you have probably already been on your cruise (and it looks like you only have 2 post on these boards so you might have not even returned back to us anymore), but I wanted to acknowledge that I just got your post. Thanks for the awesome comments and I hope you have a great time on your cruise. :)

I ABSOLUTELY enjoyed your review! I had already read a great review by Jamman54 and he made mention to your review. So I decided if I had time I had to sit and read yours too. So glad I did!! You took awesome pictures, and gave great info!!

We leave tomorrow, and after reading Jamman54 and your reviews, I am super excited and feel a little more informed. So thanks for that!:D

Aww, thanks so much for coming over and reading mine. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I hope you have a WONDERFUL cruise. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have to tell you about this driver. I don't think I have ever rode in a shuttle for any hotel, or any taxi, or even the nascar wanna-be's in Cozumel that scared me as much as this driver did. He was crazy I'm telling ya. Slamming on breaks at the last minute, cutting over in lanes with no warning (for us or the driver next to him in the lane he was trying to get over in), almost missing an exit, and that last ride was a doosey! He slammed on the breaks so fast that I think it even scared him thinking he wasn't going to stop in time. I'm throwing up my hands across the kids and praying that not only he doesn't hit the car in front of us but that the unexpected driver behind us doesn't slam into us. Yes, tires squealing and the whole 9 yards as the saying goes. Yes, it was his fault...it's not like the traffic came to a dead stop. It was all him not paying attention. Anyone staying at this place, fear for your life if you driver is Nahmed! Just saying... Nice man, just scary.

Too funny!! We stayed there a couple weeks ago (after reading your review), and he was our driver as well. We pulled out of the hotel onto a 40 MPH road and he quickly got up past 70 MPH!!! That's when the seat belts went on. But, as you said he was a nice man, and he got us there quickly! :D

Too funny!! We stayed there a couple weeks ago (after reading your review), and he was our driver as well. We pulled out of the hotel onto a 40 MPH road and he quickly got up past 70 MPH!!! That's when the seat belts went on. But, as you said he was a nice man, and he got us there quickly! :D

LOL :D Well, I guess it's good to hear he's still alive and no broken bones from any car wrecks since we were there. :eek: :o :p

• 1 year later...
Kim,

I just re read your entire review in preparation for my Pride cruise on Jan 7.:D Took lots of notes.

It will be my second time on the Pride and my third Carnival cruise.

Hey there Arzeena! Not much longer and you'll be on the Pride. I hope you have a wonderful time. What ports are you visiting?

Hey there Arzeena! Not much longer and you'll be on the Pride. I hope you have a wonderful time. What ports are you visiting?

Thanks Kim

Going to St Thomas, Antigua, Grenada, Martinique, St Marten, San Juan and Grand Turk.

Grenada is a first time for us and that sealed the deal.

Thanks Kim

Going to St Thomas, Antigua, Grenada, Martinique, St Marten, San Juan and Grand Turk.

Grenada is a first time for us and that sealed the deal.

Oh nice. You will have to come back and let me know what you decided to do in Grenada, Martinique, and St Maarten (and what it's like after the hurricane). Maybe you can give me some ideas this time around. :D