Canon 5D 5

It looks like the Canon 5D 5 is out, at least in Canada. I am not sure if it is on store shelves yet but I received an email from Canon Canada telling me it was available. I believe it is the next step after the Canon 5D Mark IV which I was going to purchase, so if you are thinking of getting a Mark IV the prices may get cut. Or you could mortgage the house and buy the 5D 5.

Amazon had a great price on the 5dS too a day or so ago, worth checking.

I just opened a photography studio two weeks ago, so the budget is relatively tight to jump on a hot deal (for what is still a $3k purchase), but I gotta tell you, the R version makes all the difference in the world for its clarity. It's a 5DsR or a "regular" 5D (mark whatever) for me.

It all comes down to what we are using the cameras for...I am a now retired photo-journalist turned event and sports photographer. When I retired 3 years ago I sold off my long glass and lights and my 1D bodies, bought a 5D Mark III and I love it. I shoot RAW, I get these 60+MP images that I can pretty much do anything I want with. If I was still working, it would be 1DX II bodies but for personal use, I am very happy where I am.

It all comes down to what we are using the cameras for...I am a now retired photo-journalist turned event and sports photographer. When I retired 3 years ago I sold off my long glass and lights and my 1D bodies, bought a 5D Mark III and I love it. I shoot RAW, I get these 60+MP images that I can pretty much do anything I want with. If I was still working, it would be 1DX II bodies but for personal use, I am very happy where I am.

We've got two 1Dx, a 5DsR, a 5D4, and a 5D3. Honestly, the 1Dx line is losing its luster for me. The resolution is weak compared to just about everything else in the single-digit product line. The high ISO performance is quite good, but so is the 5D4. The AF is amazing, but so is the 5DsR and the 5D4. I want another 5DsR as a backup for my studio work (the 5D4 is a great backup but I'd really prefer to have a matching backup). After that, I can see another 5D4 to pair up the one we have.

I never owned a 1Dx. They announced shortly after I moved from the 1D II to the 1D IV and it would be a year before the X was actually available. I spoke with my Canon friends at the NY photo show that year and asked for the price. It took me about 30 seconds so figure out I was never going to own one. I was happy with the Mark IV, I had already planned my retirement exit in 3 years so why invest $7,000 per body in bodies I would only use for two years. Anyway, it is a great camera if you shoot a lot of sports simply because it is built stronger than the 5D line. Most anything else it overkill.

The 1dx, 5d.... you’re basically paying a premium for the 12-14fps burst rate.

Yes, you’re also getting a tank-like build, but nothing wrong with the build of the 5div or D850. Yes, you’re getting the built-in grip.

But you’re primarily paying for speed. But if you don’t need that speed — and even lesser models now do 7-8 FPS — those models are really overkill.

I agree with your havoc315. The 1D bodies are really over the top for anyone but a professional sports shooter. When I sold my Mark IV bodies they were pushing 300K each with nothing more than annual check ups at CPS. No amateur needs to spend that kind of money. Oh, the 5D, at least up to the Mark III did not have a built in grip, it is an add on and I like it that way now. Less weight to carry around on vacation but I can always stick it on if someone needs me to do real work every now and then.