Updated us flight security rules

xmaser

Since we River Cruisers usually travel by air to our sailings and shop for goodies, I would like to hear others' experiences.

Please note the NEW heightened security screening requirementsUS citizens are benefitting from.

I was surprised by these in April in Minneapolis whensecurity spent several minutes pawing and rubbing a cellophane SEALED tin ofDutch cookies I bought at the shop directly beside my international flightdeparture gate in Schiphol Airport IN a restricted area after I had gone through Dutch security. Obviously it was not in my checked baggage.Fortunately he backed off from pawing around in an opened box of handmadeBelgian truffles. Spekulas are one thing, truffles another. Admittedly, I didnot offer them for separate screening – how was I to know - I wasn't asked.

I would feel much safer if they spent more effort oncontrolling who gets into the employee entrances of airports instead of gropingmy chocolates.

So now, be prepared to take out your baby power, paprika,and chocolates for separate scanning. It is part of the increasing price oftraveling I am still prepared to pay.

(Italics are my addition)

“The Transportation Security Administration beganscrutinizing containers of powders in fliers' carry-on bags last summer as partof a broader security push, and will soon ask foreign airports that sendflights directly to the U.S. to do the same. The focus is on containers holdingat least 350 milliliters of powder, which is about the size of a can of soda. (350ml is just under 11.9 oz)

. . .

TSA is urging passengers to pack larger containers in checkedluggage and remove smaller containers from carry-on bags for separatescreening, similar to small containers of liquids. (Powders include not onlycosmetic and medicinal powders but also spices.)

. . .

More recently, travelers noticed more scrutiny of food incarry-on bags this spring at TSA checkpoints. The challenge for securityofficials is to get a good look at objects in sometimes cluttered carry-onbags.

Rather than ban snacks or containers of powders, TSA isasking travelers to remove them from carry-on bags for a better view in theX-ray. The alternative is to risk a hand search of the bag, which slows downthe traveler and the line.

Everyday items, including some foods, books and magazines,powders, and large electronics may result in additional screening.”

“The Transportation Security Administration might ask(actually they asked nothing and insisted on searching bags) travelers to take food out of their carry-on bags, but officials say it's toget a clearer picture of what's in the bag rather than scrutinizing a snack. They certainly scrutinized my and others cookies. They took jars of mustard that were 1/2 oz too large from another traveler.

Passengers at airports in Newark, N.J.; Atlanta; Los Angelesand San Francisco have noticed unfamiliar requests to remove food from carry-onbags in TSA checkpoint lines, along with customary requests about largerelectronics or smaller containers of liquids.

But TSA replied that there is no new policy governing food,and the request is simply to reduce clutter in bags for X-ray screening.”

Since we River Cruisers usually travel by air to our sailings and shop for goodies, I would like to hear others' experiences.

Please note the NEW heightened security screening requirementsUS citizens are benefitting from.

I was surprised by these in April in Minneapolis whensecurity spent several minutes pawing and rubbing a cellophane SEALED tin ofDutch cookies I bought at the shop directly beside my international flightdeparture gate in Schiphol Airport IN a restricted area after I had gone through Dutch security. Obviously it was not in my checked baggage.Fortunately he backed off from pawing around in an opened box of handmadeBelgian truffles. Spekulas are one thing, truffles another. Admittedly, I didnot offer them for separate screening – how was I to know - I wasn't asked.

I would feel much safer if they spent more effort oncontrolling who gets into the employee entrances of airports instead of gropingmy chocolates.

So now, be prepared to take out your baby power, paprika,and chocolates for separate scanning. It is part of the increasing price oftraveling I am still prepared to pay.

(Italics are my addition)

“The Transportation Security Administration beganscrutinizing containers of powders in fliers' carry-on bags last summer as partof a broader security push, and will soon ask foreign airports that sendflights directly to the U.S. to do the same. The focus is on containers holdingat least 350 milliliters of powder, which is about the size of a can of soda. (350ml is just under 11.9 oz)

. . .

TSA is urging passengers to pack larger containers in checkedluggage and remove smaller containers from carry-on bags for separatescreening, similar to small containers of liquids. (Powders include not onlycosmetic and medicinal powders but also spices.)

. . .

More recently, travelers noticed more scrutiny of food incarry-on bags this spring at TSA checkpoints. The challenge for securityofficials is to get a good look at objects in sometimes cluttered carry-onbags.

Rather than ban snacks or containers of powders, TSA isasking travelers to remove them from carry-on bags for a better view in theX-ray. The alternative is to risk a hand search of the bag, which slows downthe traveler and the line.

Everyday items, including some foods, books and magazines,powders, and large electronics may result in additional screening.”

“The Transportation Security Administration might ask(actually they asked nothing and insisted on searching bags) travelers to take food out of their carry-on bags, but officials say it's toget a clearer picture of what's in the bag rather than scrutinizing a snack. They certainly scrutinized my and others cookies. They took jars of mustard that were 1/2 oz too large from another traveler.

Passengers at airports in Newark, N.J.; Atlanta; Los Angelesand San Francisco have noticed unfamiliar requests to remove food from carry-onbags in TSA checkpoint lines, along with customary requests about largerelectronics or smaller containers of liquids.

But TSA replied that there is no new policy governing food,and the request is simply to reduce clutter in bags for X-ray screening.”

We had packed a package of cheese that we had purchased at a cheese factory in Amsterdam in our checked baggage and when we arrived in Atlanta, we had added this to our customs documentation and were pulled aside and held in a holding room for over 30 minutes until they finally called us up to speak with one of the agents and when we told him the cheese was wrapped in paraffin, he said we could go. He didn't even check to see if that was true. Thankfully, we were not rushed to catch our connecting flight. But you can bet, we won't be purchasing any cheese in the near future.

Cole

Are those rule new? - For many, many years I have been instructed not to bring diary, meat or fruit products from Europe into US and if continuing with flights within US do not bring liquids in more the 100 mll containers not exceeding a total of 1000 ml - even bought as duty free and sealed the liquids will be confiscated.

Are those rule new? - For many, many years I have been instructed not to bring diary, meat or fruit products from Europe into US and if continuing with flights within US do not bring liquids in more the 100 mll containers not exceeding a total of 1000 ml - even bought as duty free and sealed the liquids will be confiscated.

Nothing 'new' more of an evolution of the existing procedures.

As the Intelligence Community feeds back what they learn about different potential methods being used or planned to be used we see subtle variations in what the TSA and others pay attention to.

This is just another example of that.

It's interesting how this so called evolution ever seems to lead to extinction. 17 1/2 years later we are still walking around airports with no shoes on. No reported arrests and convictions of more shoe bombers. Most of the rest of the world has given up on the shoe circus.

You're conflating Customs regulations (don't bring in meat or produce from most other countries into the US) and TSA rules (ie US airport security), which have in some airports started requesting you separate your food from the rest of your carry-on items and the regulations on amount of powders that can be carried on.

Always check the TSA website for rules. The new food/powder/clutter screenings started earlier this spring.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2018/04/12/tsa-marks-milestone-stronger-carry-screening-all-us-federal-airports

Also note that just because you can buy it in the airport does not mean that it is legal to bring into the US-- or that the store clerks will alert you if you do.

Still, it does not stop me from carrying a chorizo sandwich onto the plane and eating it before we land (so much better than airplane food).

Still, it does not stop me from carrying a chorizo sandwich onto the plane and eating it before we land (so much better than airplane food).

There is a beagle in Detroit who ALWAYS stops at my backpack ;-) I always tell the agent that I *did* have a sandwich in there but I ate it on the plane;p

[typically I'm making a sandwich for the flight that contains all the remains of the cheese & cured meat & lovely bread I've bought wherever I'm traveling ;-)]

Sealed box of cookies is not candy (which may contain liquid). I've never had a customs problem with baked goods and candy. Liquids and powders are not the same thing. Taking food out of carry on for TSA is new in the six airports I regularly use. There were no notices or requests made. Just assume that you will be expected to take out edibles now. To simply call it evolution is sophistry.

Because I love to travel I will comply if TSA lets me know what they want.

You're conflating Customs regulations (don't bring in meat or produce from most other countries into the US) and TSA rules (ie US airport security), which have in some airports started requesting you separate your food from the rest of your carry-on items and the regulations on amount of powders that can be carried on.

Always check the TSA website for rules. The new food/powder/clutter screenings started earlier this spring.

https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2018/04/12/tsa-marks-milestone-stronger-carry-screening-all-us-federal-airports

We have Global Entry and therefore TSA Pre-Check is (almost) guaranteed for us. So can we simply have our tablet and any foods or powders easily accessible from our carry-ons (as our liquids will be) or should we expect to automatically need to remove them and send through x-ray separately? TIA!

There was a news release and I'd seen it on tv a couple months back. Can't remember if I saw signs or not at the airport, because....

We have GE so also TSA pre-check, and Carolyn, the last time I flew (this past May) I did not have to remove anything extra from my bag going throught the precheck lane. Just look at the signs as you get into line - they'll either say what they've always said (keep your shoes & belt on, leave laptop in your bag) or they'll have new instructions....

There was a news release and I'd seen it on tv a couple months back. Can't remember if I saw signs or not at the airport, because....

We have GE so also TSA pre-check, and Carolyn, the last time I flew (this past May) I did not have to remove anything extra from my bag going throught the precheck lane. Just look at the signs as you get into line - they'll either say what they've always said (keep your shoes & belt on, leave laptop in your bag) or they'll have new instructions....

Thanks!

To simply call it evolution is sophistry.

That's a little strong don't you think?

The security threat evolves and so the checks evolve along with them.

I do actually see the checks for old threats being downscaled and new ones replacing them over time.

It has been years since I've had to remove my shoes and I can't recall the last time I was asked to turn on one of my electronic devices...

And there is the problem. TSA will not disclose their rules, they have not gone through the rulemaking process as they claim the rules and expectations are SSI (sensitive security information). So it's up to the whim of the individual screener.