Ladies what clothes do you pack for your Europe river cruise?

Cruiseoholic000

We did the Rhine with Viking Amsterdam to Basel in late August of 2016. It was HOT!

I should mention that I check a bag, and I don’t wear capris. Personal preference. I also don’t do laundry on vacation with the exception of rinsing out a bra now and then, and my compression socks. I always take more than enough underwear. I wear the micro fiber bikinis from Jockey. I can fit a month’s worth in a zip lock bag. [emoji12]

I take black bottoms. Black doesn’t show dirt like lighter colors and it goes with everything. I wore stretchy dark denim leggings on the plane, so I would have them, because I wouldn’t have to pack them and because they were comfortable.

I had black Bermuda length shorts. I wore them most everywhere, including churches with no issues. Netherlands, Germany and Switzerland aren’t as conservative as some other countries in that regard. It largely depends on where you are going. There were many other people wearing shorts, too. Did I mention it was HOT [emoji16]

I also had black knit pants, and a black knit knee length skirt (Toad &Co) which I brought in case I needed it for the Cathedral in Cologne. We were there on Sunday. I actually got a lot of wear out of it because it was much cooler than the shorts.

For tops, I brought 5 or maybe 6 LL Bean tee shirts in solid colors. I’d wear one for dinner with a scarf or dressy necklace, then again for daytime excursions. Double duty. Worked out well.

I had Taos Trophy sandals which I loved. They were comfy and looked nice. I wore them to dinner. I also had a pair of New Balance sneakers for more challenging walks.

I packed a lightweight down jacket that folds into its own pocket, and a raincoat. We did Mt Pilatus in Lucerne and I thought I’d need it, but I didn’t. I sleep in long tee shirts in a light weight.

And I roll - it’s how I roll [emoji13]. I have it down to a science. I should make a video. I only use a medium packing cube to separate clothes for our hotel stays so it’s on top and I don’t have to dig.

And that’s my tale. It worked well. I wore everything I brought at least twice. I plan to do the same for our Grand European. It’s in mid September, so I’m not taking the shorts. I got another Toad & Co skirt and I’ll wear those if it’s hot.

I tried rolling, but it seems wrinkled more. Any tips pls?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I tried rolling, but it seems wrinkled more. Any tips pls?

A lot depends on what you are rolling. Some things are more prone to wrinkling than others. It also does take a little practice. I’ve got it down to a science.

As I mentioned, I take LL Bean tee shirts. The fabric has some body and a bit of a sheen that makes them a tad bit more dressy.

I lay these flat. Smooth out the wrinkles. Fold the sleeves in at the seams. Then I roll carefully and tightly, starting with the neck, and smoothing all the way. As I said it takes practice. I can now do it much faster than I could at first.

For hot weather I have a few lighter weight tees that I roll around the LL Bean ones. I also roll things like my night shirts and anything else that lends itself to rolling.

I roll anything light and my husband’s woven shirts around these initial items. Polo shirts and anything with a collar get rolled from the bottom up so the collar goes around the roll.

When everything is ready for the suitcase, I first fill in the gullies between the handle tracks with my husband’s socks (I always cross pack) or some other things that fit and don’t matter if they are wrinkled.

On top of this I lay pants/slacks with the bottoms against the wheel end with the rest hanging over the top/handle side. I put shoes (in shoe bags) and heavy items like my toiletries bag at the wheel end.

I, then, add a layer of the rolled items along the pants starting at the top/handle end, constantly smoothing as I go. This generally leaves room at both or at least one side. I add more rolled items there perpendicular to the first group.

I have been using a small packing cube for my underwear. I used to just tuck it wherever it would fit, but I like having it all together in one place. Socks still get tucked in nooks and crannies. [emoji16] I treat that small packing cube like one of the rolled items. It goes where it fits.

When I have a complete layer, I fold the pants over it. This prevents creases at the fold of the pants. Shorts get folded or rolled around something. They are going to be wrinkled after the first wearing anyway [emoji12]. I put other rolled or folded items in a layer on top of that fitting everything in like a jigsaw puzzle.

If I have any spaces or room. I stuff bubble wrap in those spots. It serves 2 purposes. It keeps things from shifting around - which causes wrinkles and it can be thrown away or used to wrap delicate items purchased on the cruise.

Some people are overly concerned with wrinkles (IMO), I am not one of those people. I rarely iron and If something is wrinkled it gets thrown in the dryer with a wet wash cloth. If that doesn’t work, it’s not appropriate for travel [emoji12]

Wrinkles happen. It’s the nature of packing and traveling. I’m not worried about it. Most everyone else will be wearing wrinkled clothes also. Downy Wrinkle Release is a wonder and absolutely necessary. What it and some smoothing won’t handle goes in the not worth worrying about bucket.

I don’t own much linen, nor 100% cotton. A little polyester goes a long way in a blend. The majority of what I pack are knits. It’s the way to go.

Hope that helps.

That's good to hear about the Keens....I just bought a pair for our trip. We are heading to Lanai, HI next month for a weekend getaway and I plan to break them in....

I wear my Keens with everything, and they are great on a rainy day, because they dry off instantly. They will be fine with capris. Though I agree about no shorts and bare shoulders in churches, I wouldn't leave shorts out of your suitcase. For DIY time and sun deck time, I would absolutely pack them. When we did our Venice/Po River cruise 5 years ago, it was in the 80's, and I'm very happy we had shorts with us.

Enjoy your cruise!

Robin

This has been great to read. We are taking our first river cruise on viking in August, and spending 10 days in paris beforehand. I have a terrible time packing light so I will be bringing a checked bag and a carry on, with hopefully room for souvenirs. I will have a washing machine in paris (although I assume not a dryer). I know the temps will be warm... though for me I freeze anywhere with air. I wear a ton of dresses (maxi and sun) that I can layer with a light weight sweater for churches. These will also be fine to go into dinner with no need to change. I'm taking one nice lightweight dress in case we do a nice dinner in paris. I'm wearing yoga pants on the overnight flight but otherwise I might take only one lightweight pair of nice pants.

In terms of shoes, I'm hoping to leave my tennis shoes at home but I have foot issues. Planning on buying one or 2 pairs of Clark or Teva sandals and going they go walking to dinner! Jane

I had the the same problem...I packed so much for Pairs. Hey...if you have time, check out Bustronome in Paris..You ride around in a glass top double decker bus and see the sights while you enjoy a nice meal. You can pair it with tickets to the Crazy Horse if you want to do a show after wards...they will drop you at the front door. We really enjoyed it.

That's me! Short and dumpy! Fortunately, I can still wear petite misses (18/XL). I have given up shopping for anything other than LL Bean and J.Jill. That is what is in my closet and that is what goes into my suitcase.

Check out J.Jill's Wearever line which seems to be designed for travel. I find that J.Jill cuts more generously, at least in their tops. And, they do linen, too. https://www.jjill.com/shop/shopbysize/womens-/extended-size/Womens They have three stores in Denver (Littleton) but the stores don't usually carry the plus sizes (but free shipping if you order in the store).

Thanks, Peregrina! I will check out J.Jill's.

Here's what my husband and I brought for 12 days in France (River cruise + 4 nights on our own), including some fancy dinners off-ship. We both traveled with only a carry-on (Tom Bihn Aeronaut 45) and a personal item. We had a few thing laundered on-board during the first seven days using the "all you can fit in the bag" deal on Emerald.

France River Cruise Packing List

Hi,

Great list- very smart to break the list into suitcase location.

Question- how did you like TIEKS? I keep getting their ads. Are they comfortable for walking( airport, short distances)?

Thx

Carole

Whatever sandals I wear for walking need a closed toe, or I'm forever tripping like a clutz on the cobblestones and uneven pavement. I wore knee length shorts of a non-wrinkle fabric and felt fine in those, and capris are good too but tend to be warmer. Scarves are good for cover-ups or even with a jacket if it does get chilly. I do not send laundry out. It was quite expensive on Viking river cruise and no "bag deals" were offered. Have you tried Febreeze? It is my new friend. A small travel sized bottle works well to refresh a top or shirt after a warm day. I spray down an item the night before and it's good to go the next morning. I also throw a few loose unused dryer sheets in my suitcase to help with any funky smells as the days wear on.

Whatever sandals I wear for walking need a closed toe, or I'm forever tripping like a clutz on the cobblestones and uneven pavement. I wore knee length shorts of a non-wrinkle fabric and felt fine in those, and capris are good too but tend to be warmer. Scarves are good for cover-ups or even with a jacket if it does get chilly. I do not send laundry out. It was quite expensive on Viking river cruise and no "bag deals" were offered. Have you tried Febreeze? It is my new friend. A small travel sized bottle works well to refresh a top or shirt after a warm day. I spray down an item the night before and it's good to go the next morning. I also throw a few loose unused dryer sheets in my suitcase to help with any funky smells as the days wear on.

Yup, Febreeze & Downy Wrinkle Release both in travel size bottles are an awesome way to keep clothes fresher longer when traveling. I also bring dryer sheets & put one or two in each drawer before I unpack & I put them in our shoes as well.

Well, I hate to admit it but there is no way I can go on a trip with just a carry on - unless it's for a weekend. We will be river cruising on Scenic and doing befores and afters for a total of 34 days. I am bringing 2 full size suitcases as I loathe carry ons and they will never fit all my things. I believe in porters. I like to dress nice and I don't care what other people think. I also don't do laundry on vacation or wash out undies every night. I have at least now pared it down to 6-7 pairs of shoes. I used to take 10 minimum. It's my holiday and I should be able to wear what I like when I like....and I like choices and I'm willing to accept the consequences. I applaud those who can get along with a carry on. It's just not me. Now if anyone wants a packing list that covers the contents of 2 suitcases, please let me know. lol. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since porters have virtually disappeared at most airports I have been to, I feel sorry for you if you can't find a cart.

I don't travel with only a carry-on - I could never manage it - but I do travel with a mid-size suitcase and my carry-on is a medium size backpack. With my purse on my shoulder under the backback, I am self-sufficient if necessary. This has let me deal with making changes on the fly during the Icelandic volcano issue in 2010 (and get from the ship to my hotel on Queen's Day in Amsterdam when people that needed a cab had to leave the evening before). I was able to get from Amsterdam airport by train to Bruges for a bike and barge trip.

I think if you have too much stuff, you limit your ability to move around. I can't imagine doing it for 34 days, but to each her own.

While I love the idea of a practically unlimited wardrobe while traveling, I've pared down to "you bring what you can carry/manage on your own." Especially true as dh and I travel with our 4 kids.

My mid-size suitcase broke right before our Rhine cruise and I had to take our biggest suitcase. If that didn't confirm I'd prefer traveling lighter, nothing would. I was cursing that monstrosity at every stair.

"you bring what you can carry/manage on your own."

That was the family motto for travel when I was growing up, and I can tell you my husband REALLY appreciates that now ;-) Completely agree that what to pack, along with ALL OTHER aspects of travel, is totally a personal decision and there shouldn't be (and yet there is...) judgement about how other people do it. Unless/until it personally affects YOU, it shouldn't matter.;p

Since most of our travel is cool/wet weather/places, I'm much better at packing what works for me in that climate. Packing for a 2+ week trip to Asia (;ppre-cruise in Singapore, including a work day for me, post cruise HKG, 10day Thailand & Vietnam) was much harder than 2+ weeks Europe Christmas markets river cruise for me.

After a few early screw-ups, I never bring anything new on a trip. Not just shoes, most of us know to break in shoes ahead of time, but I brought a new bra on a cruise - mistake. A couple of top issues over the years, even a shampoo problem. So, no new products on a trip;) I don't have a travel closet and a "real life" closet - my style is my style, no matter where I am. I do mess around with a powerpoint, mixing & matching my clothing (I have photos of most of my clothing, easy since I buy most of my clothing online) and I start designing my packing list as soon as I book a trip. It's fun for me (and I have a standard packing list to fall back on, once I get the clothing combos I want for a specific trip)

Oldest dd is into cosplay. She is also the one that generally brings the monstrosity suitcase. For our Paris trip, she lugged that thing plus a wig/Styrofoam head carrier and a small bin with armor. She was bound to take pictures of her French character in front of the Eiffel tower. She was worried I'd say no, but it went back to "if you can manage it, you can take it." She did and she got great pictures. Lots of odd looks from the adults, but many French children knew exactly who she was.

I find that at least 1/3 of the weight of my suitcase is “other” stuff such as toiletries, accessories etc. Ant tips here how to bring weight of this stuff ? One does need a shampoo, a hair spray rye, etc so if I don’t take it I may need to buy it, which is often hard due to no shops or brands one is used to . What do you do?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I find that at least 1/3 of the weight of my suitcase is “other” stuff such as toiletries, accessories etc. Ant tips here how to bring weight of this stuff ? One does need a shampoo, a hair spray rye, etc so if I don’t take it I may need to buy it, which is often hard due to no shops or brands one is used to . What do you do?

Hi, is the question for anyone? What do I do? I pack my toiletries in my carry on bag. They don't take up much space for me. And I don't weigh these items. I have a medium size cosmetic bag...it holds my deodorant, toothpaste, tootbrush, etc....etc......the shampoo is travel size so it goes in there too......my carry on bag has zipper compartments and the cosmetic bag goes into one of the compartments. I don't use hair spray so not something I would pack.

Hi, is the question for anyone? What do I do? I pack my toiletries in my carry on bag. They don't take up much space for me. And I don't weigh these items. I have a medium size cosmetic bag...it holds my deodorant, toothpaste, tootbrush, etc....etc......the shampoo is travel size so it goes in there too......my carry on bag has zipper compartments and the cosmetic bag goes into one of the compartments. I don't use hair spray so not something I would pack.

Yes, the question is for anyone - thank you for you reply. I appreciate your reply - but how does this work with

By the time i finish with my toiletries, cosmetics (nos much), sun screens etc, etc - it could get to up to 3-3.5 kg. I do have a fine hair and use a lot of hairspray, but surely, I am not the only one... It is not only weight, but also space. I am much better these days with clothes (packing not too much, what I need, weighing - literally - my options) however, toiletries I struggle with and, for me, it is a huge weight on my shoulders (or arms) :)

I transfer my shampoo into a travel sized container. I could probably do without bringing any at all (hotels and cruise ships all have them) but I like my own. I don’t use hair spray - I hope you mean a pump spray because you aren’t allowed to fly with aerosols - but you should be able to find a travel/sized spray bottle. Most of my toiletries go into my carry- on; I have a number of prescriptions that I need to big. I prefer to put my medications into small plastic bags; I have bags for morning and evening and put 7 days in a bag. (Unless I have heard specific information about the need to keep prescriptions in original containers I don’t because they take up space and weight.)

What kind of accessories are you talking about? I try to very much limit my jewelry; I feel no need to try and impress people when I am on vacation, but that is me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I transfer my shampoo into a travel sized container. I could probably do without bringing any at all (hotels and cruise ships all have them) but I like my own. I don’t use hair spray - I hope you mean a pump spray because you aren’t allowed to fly with aerosols - but you should be able to find a travel/sized spray bottle. Most of my toiletries go into my carry- on; I have a number of prescriptions that I need to big. I prefer to put my medications into small plastic bags; I have bags for morning and evening and put 7 days in a bag. (Unless I have heard specific information about the need to keep prescriptions in original containers I don’t because they take up space and weight.)

What kind of accessories are you talking about? I try to very much limit my jewelry; I feel no need to try and impress people when I am on vacation, but that is me.

You can take aerosols (such as hairspray or mousse) on planes - larger size has to go into the hold of course. And that's what I do... My hair does need both a mousse and a hair spray, can't do without - goes flat even in the optimal weather ...

Accessories - usually some (not a lot) dress jewellery (earrings and a necklace or two), a belt, maybe a small (the lightest I can find) evening purse. Again, individually these things don't weigh much. but put these together - easily up to a half a kilo (just over a pound).

My hair does need both a mousse and a hair spray, can't do without - goes flat even in the optimal weather ...

Have you tried a pump spray hairspray that you could put into a smaller plastic bottle? That would save a fair bit of weight over an aerosol.

Yes, the question is for anyone - thank you for you reply. I appreciate your reply - but how does this work with

By the time i finish with my toiletries, cosmetics (nos much), sun screens etc, etc - it could get to up to 3-3.5 kg. I do have a fine hair and use a lot of hairspray, but surely, I am not the only one... It is not only weight, but also space. I am much better these days with clothes (packing not too much, what I need, weighing - literally - my options) however, toiletries I struggle with and, for me, it is a huge weight on my shoulders (or arms) :)

Maybe some of the other gals can help you. I have no struggle with packing these items. And I agree with one of the other gals, sometimes I don't even bring my own shampoo/conditioner since most hotels and cruise ships offer them.:)

Have you tried a pump spray hairspray that you could put into a smaller plastic bottle? That would save a fair bit of weight over an aerosol.

Not sure what a pump spray h/s is, but will have a look around and try it:)

Not sure what a pump spray h/s is, but will have a look around and try it:)

It doesn’t use a propellant; you press down on the top of the bottle a few times to get the liquid out.

I do bring my own toiletries in travel size containers, don't usually bring appliances (I might bring a curling iron or a flat iron, depending on how I feel before the trip and how long my hair is at that point). One thing we've discussed in the beauty/fashion forum is to test how much product you actually use over the period of time you'll be gone. Get a 100ml bottle of shampoo, conditioner, mousse, hairspray - see how much you use in 7 days or 10 days or 20 days or however long you'll be gone. Then you'll know. If you don't need 100ml (that's the max size for being carry-on liquid compliant) BRING LESS. For serums, I usually only need a teeny tiny amount - I have a couple of very small sample containers from nordstrom I use for those.

If you want to bring less weight, you need to downsize the size and/or number of products you bring. It's that simple. How you decide what you want to downsize is up to you. Throw everything onto a bed and start thinking about your options;p