Luxury or Premium catagory?

Kissing Seahorses

I am trying to do some homework in regard to Viking Cruises and am having trouble determining what niche they are trying to fill. Their brochure seems to avoid the word "luxury" entirely, perhaps that is seen as being too limiting?

Thus far, I am very impressed with the clean lines and contemporary, Scandinavian design, the numerous dining options and relaxed dress codes of this cruise line, As well as the generally longer lengths of cruises. I look forward to having additional choices for future cruising.

I am trying to do some homework in regard to Viking Cruises and am having trouble determining what niche they are trying to fill. Their brochure seems to avoid the word "luxury" entirely, perhaps that is seen as being too limiting?

Thus far, I am very impressed with the clean lines and contemporary, Scandinavian design, the numerous dining options and relaxed dress codes of this cruise line, As well as the generally longer lengths of cruises. I look forward to having additional choices for future cruising.

I would look at them as a step above premium (ie Celebrity and some Princess Ships) and below Luxury (ie Seabourn, Silversea, and Regent)

Kind of Low Lux and similar to Oceania and Azamara. Smaller ships without all the amenities, but better overall service and a bit more inclusive than premium ships. However, not totally all inclusive like the lux ships.

At least that is my take as their target. It too is something we are intrigued by the pricing and really looked at booking one of their itineraries that we are wanting to do, but being in November we realized how could it would be touring. Will keep my eye on them however. Looks like our cup of tea, so to speak.

I find everything about the new Viking Oceans appealing.

The emphasis on the destination, included walking tours in every port and of course a new ship with human scale as the brochure states. Looking at the aritist rendition of the ship, I see lots of lots of windows and openess to the water and also the land.

I have only sailed on Celebrity and have two more up coming cruises. But either in 2015, 2016 I know i will be sailing on the Viking Star.

Looking forward to the reports from the maiden voyage sailing in April 2015.

Heck, if you buy in at the higher price points (Penthouse Junior Suite and above) the amenities and perks begin to match the luxury lines anyway as the price rises. I think there are a LOT of people who can AFFORD "luxury" but don't do well with ostentation. Something like Viking Oceans is perfect for them IMO: clean, modern, well-thought-out, and thoughtful :-)

Archived