Dublin Airport - our experience

A couple quick comments about flying into Dublin:

(1) When you get outside and want a taxi: They ask any "cash" people to get in one line and "credit" folks in another. (Many taxis only take cash.) I wanted to use a credit card to save my euros but the credit line was really long and it was really cold and windy so I gave in and used the cash line. If you don't have euros at that point you might have to wait a while for a taxi.

(2) When you fly out of Dublin you go through security, then enter a mall-like area where you can eat something. (We ate at the Chocolate Lounge and it took forever.) We knew we had to go through US Pre-Clearance (to clear Customs) in Dublin instead of in the States but when we got downstairs we had no idea that we had to go through a SECOND SECURITY SCREENING before we got to Customs. I have no idea why this is necessary as you can't get to this point without going through the FIRST security screening. They made almost everyone take their shoes off this second time (but not the first). I told the agent that the two women with me were 87 years old and not in great health and he said they could keep their shoes on. [eye roll.]

As you go through this process they say to take out laptops but they didn't say anything about smaller electronics like tablets, so three of us had to have our things re-screened. (In the States, of course, you don't usually have to take out iPads and such, at least not if you are TSA Precheck.) The second screening took quite a while, as there were at least two planes leaving for the East Coast around the same time.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 11:20 a.m. with boarding to begin at 10:30 a.m., according to our boarding passes. When we got through Customs it was 10:40 and the Departure Board said "FINAL CALL" for our flight! Clearly, they started boarding before 10:30. Our gate was one of the last ones (naturally!) and I ran ahead so I could tell them people were coming. By the time I got to the gate they were announcing that they were ready to close the door. I told them there were two 87 year olds coming and they weren't capable of running! By the time they got to the gate it was 10:50 and the crew shut the gate as soon as they got on the plane. What an experience!

Just be forewarned that with two security screenings and Customs to deal with, it can take quite a while to get to your gate. My advice is to get to the airport super early!

kathy

I'll be flying in/out of Dublin very soon...and also have an 11:20am flight. What airlines were you flying that so quickly advanced boarding...and what time did you actually arrive at the airport?

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this helpful experience.

We were on AA #723 to Philadelphia.

We took Celebrity's airport transportation to the airport. Our tags were #3, which is the second group called. (Odd #'s are given to those taking Celebrity buses, even #'s to everyone else.) #3 was supposed to be called at 7:10, per the schedule, but we were called at 7. Walked straight off the ship, got our bags, and boarded a bus. Probably pulled out of the port about 7:30 (you have to wait for the bus to fill up) and arrived at the airport before 8 a.m. (They drop you off right in front of the departure area, so you walk right in and get in line to check your bags.)

Hubby and I had gotten up early enough to be at the buffet when it opened at 6 a.m so we had breakfast on the ship. The two 87 year olds, unfortunately, decided they would just eat at the airport. That wasted a big chunk of time. We also wasted about 15 minutes waiting around for a wheelchair for one of them which never showed up. We finally gave up and just walked, in spite of the fact that she had not been doing well and we were very nervous about her having to do all that walking.

Had we not taken time to eat and wait for the wheelchair we would have been fine. I would recommend that you eat before disembarking, if possible. I also wish I had thought to request a wheelchair the day before.

For an 11:20 flight I would definitely recommend that you request a 7:00 a.m. walk-off time. (The disembarkation form you fill out asks for your flight info and for the time you want to get off the ship.)

I assumed the second security clearance was required by our government. I won't get into that at this point as I don't want the Feds to yank my Global Entry card if I say what I really think.

Enjoy Dublin!

k.

US citizens with 11:20am departure to Boston. Self disembarked and Off ship at 7:05am. Taxi queue was 2 people ahead of us. One minute to get a minibus and we invited the two folks behind us to share and split the cost. At airport by 7:25am.

Cost for minibus and extra for luggage 30 euros. We tipped. The other couple did not.

It's obvious the queue for the taxi WILL get longer later in the am.

Our longest line at the airport was check-in at See Lingus.

Check in, security, immigration etc - all a hassle, but we were waiting for our flight by 8:30am. Fast track highly recommended - cheap price to avoid the ALWAYS long security line. Fast Track does nothing to limit the immigration process.

Shortly after our arrival, Celebrity transfer buses started arriving. The queues became horrific for ALL services at the airport.

My advice: if your flight departs before noon, get off the ship BEFORE the first departure of celebrity transfer bus and get your own taxi. Get fast track. And then stop worrying about it.

Or, if you enjoy standing on multiple long lines at the airport, take a celebrity transfer. Get fast track and avoid at least one line.

One other warning. The food and drink services AFTER going thru US immigration preclearance are minimal and truly bad. Expensive beyond normal airport inflated prices. We regretted not getting a few things at the buffet the night before yo eat in the morning in our cabin or on our first check in line at the airport.

• 2 weeks later...
A couple quick comments about flying into Dublin:

(1) When you get outside and want a taxi: They ask any "cash" people to get in one line and "credit" folks in another. (Many taxis only take cash.) I wanted to use a credit card to save my euros but the credit line was really long and it was really cold and windy so I gave in and used the cash line. If you don't have euros at that point you might have to wait a while for a taxi.

(2) When you fly out of Dublin you go through security, then enter a mall-like area where you can eat something. (We ate at the Chocolate Lounge and it took forever.) We knew we had to go through US Pre-Clearance (to clear Customs) in Dublin instead of in the States but when we got downstairs we had no idea that we had to go through a SECOND SECURITY SCREENING before we got to Customs. I have no idea why this is necessary as you can't get to this point without going through the FIRST security screening. They made almost everyone take their shoes off this second time (but not the first). I told the agent that the two women with me were 87 years old and not in great health and he said they could keep their shoes on. [eye roll.]

As you go through this process they say to take out laptops but they didn't say anything about smaller electronics like tablets, so three of us had to have our things re-screened. (In the States, of course, you don't usually have to take out iPads and such, at least not if you are TSA Precheck.) The second screening took quite a while, as there were at least two planes leaving for the East Coast around the same time.

Our flight was scheduled to leave at 11:20 a.m. with boarding to begin at 10:30 a.m., according to our boarding passes. When we got through Customs it was 10:40 and the Departure Board said "FINAL CALL" for our flight! Clearly, they started boarding before 10:30. Our gate was one of the last ones (naturally!) and I ran ahead so I could tell them people were coming. By the time I got to the gate they were announcing that they were ready to close the door. I told them there were two 87 year olds coming and they weren't capable of running! By the time they got to the gate it was 10:50 and the crew shut the gate as soon as they got on the plane. What an experience!

Just be forewarned that with two security screenings and Customs to deal with, it can take quite a while to get to your gate. My advice is to get to the airport super early!

kathy

I will be arriving in Dublin and need transportation to the cruise port. Any idea of cost for 1 passenger? I will be sailing with Ponant. Also, I have time before boarding and a short car tour might be nice.

Thanks for your comments

I will be arriving in Dublin and need transportation to the cruise port. Any idea of cost for 1 passenger? I will be sailing with Ponant. Also, I have time before boarding and a short car tour might be nice.

Thanks for your comments

We came in the day before and took a taxi from the airport to the City Center, so I don't know what the fare would be to the port. Does Ponant offer transportation? It might be cheaper for one person to go with cruise line transportation. For two or more it is often cheaper to take a taxi. Maybe someone else can tell you the fare to the port. Enjoy your cruise.

kathy

The cruise line is charging $150 which seems a little high.

That sounds ridiculous to me.

I just looked at the map. The distance from the airport to the City Center is 10.7 km (17 minute drive). The distance from the airport to the port is 13.2 km but a 16 minute drive because of the route. I think we paid about 50 euros for a van to take four of us to City Center, which is about $60 US. It should cost about the same to get you to the port, maybe less (because you won't need a van for one person). Grab a taxi.

k.

Kathy,

Thanks for taking the time to look up the information. I did not know how to go about it. I agree a taxi is the best choice.

Your helpfulness is the great thing about cruise critic

Denise

No problem. I can't stand to see people overpaying for things!

Enjoy your cruise.

k.

Only tangentially related, but TSA has just recently (the past few weeks) begun requiring you to take all electronics larger than a cell phone out of your bag for screening - that includes Kindles and tablets.

When they start including cell phones, I'll be convinced it's a scam to make money for the gov't. - imagine how many expensive I-phones will be left behind if that happens!