Seafood Shack

Megan_Strick

I'm from the East Coast and we have fresh seafood. Wondering how the fresh the seafood is?

Speaking only from a Seafood Shack perspective based on your thread title, and related to the lobster roll in particular, I found it to be very fresh, and very good. They have 2 types of lobster rolls, and in my experience, and from what many others have stated in previous Seafood Shack related threads, the best lobster roll is the one with the drawn butter, and stay away from the one with mayo. I've only found 2 "pay" venues I thought were worth spending extra $$ on Carnival, and that is the Seafood Shack and the steakhouses (although I haven't tried the steakhouse since they changed to a new menu).

Let's just say they don't look like this ;)

20180621_174819.jpg

I guess we all have our own preferences! To me, that looks like a hot dog bun full of mostly mayo and lettuce. I much prefer the Connecticut lobster roll that is full of lobster meat ready to be dipped in drawn butter.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/recipes/2016/07/maine-versus-connecticut-style-lobster-rolls

I guess we all have our own preferences! To me, that looks like a hot dog bun full of mostly mayo and lettuce. I much prefer the Connecticut lobster roll that is full of lobster meat ready to be dipped in drawn butter.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/recipes/2016/07/maine-versus-connecticut-style-lobster-rolls

Yep. Meat and butter. Yum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agree, with butter much better. Good news is they will make them both ways.

This Tidewater VA couple says Seafood shack doesn’t come close to clam strips and shrimp we get at home right out of the bay. This New England graduate says the lobster roll was “ok”

I used to live in the Tidewater area in Virginia. I agree the seafood is amazingly fresh living near the coast. I also love the fresh Gulf shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico. I was born a coon-a** so I appreciate fresh seafood and agree it is difficult to find inland. I also lived in England 5 years and loved the fish and chips Carnival used to offer above Lido deck on some ships because I thought it was very close to the fish and chips I grew to love in England. Carnival even offered malt vinegar with theirs. I miss Carnival's fish and chip place. It was so good!

Edited by winddawn

Lol, if you say so. These have small-town Maine locals line up for blocks to get to, but hey, what do they know?

Hope springs eternal. Tell them to sail on the Horizon. There is a reason they call people from Maine maniacs.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

All seafood is "previously frozen"...as is most of the "fresh" seafood you see in your grocery store! Unless a fish is delivered directly to a restaurant or store immediately after catching it...they are flash frozen on the fishing vessel, then shipped wherever they are sold.

All seafood is "previously frozen"...as is most of the "fresh" seafood you see in your grocery store! Unless a fish is delivered directly to a restaurant or store immediately after catching it...they are flash frozen on the fishing vessel, then shipped wherever they are sold.

That has never been my issue - though if you get fresh - like oysters off the outerbanks, you know. The greater issue is that people don't know how to prepared it...greasy or flavorless batter come to mind. Also, people tend to over cook things like steamed shrimp. If you eat at a local place on the eastern seaboard, they just know how to prepare it correctly.

That is how I buy it here. Shrimping is a huge business where I live. I buy shrimp and fish from a local market that has shrimp boats. I graduated with the guy so totally trust him.

I grew up in New England and vacation in Maine quite often. The Lobster rolls were better than other non New England versions I have had, but obviously not as good as just about any roadside shack along the New England Coast.

The rest of the offerings were also good but not great. I didn't expect "great" on a cruise ship. I though the value was worth what you got and nothing was poorly done.

Just my 2 cents.

whats the price difference between those two.

whats the price difference between those two.

If my memory serves me correctly they are both the same price, and Seafood Shack offers 2 types of lobster rolls--a Maine lobster roll and a Connecticut lobster roll. As far as I can tell, the lobster on both is cold water lobster (the same lobster on both rolls), and the difference is the Maine lobster roll is chilled with mayo and the Connecticut lobster roll is served warm with drawn butter. The warm Connecticut is MUCH better.

Edited by winddawn