Dental emergency

choochella

Yep -- on our last Summit to Bermuda cruise, I had a brand-spanking-new crown come off -- in a piece of Brie, no less! :eek:

Being aware that there were no dental facilities onboard, my dear DH ran to the drugstore in Royal Naval Dockyard, to pick up an all-purpose dental repair kit. Unfortunately, this happened a couple of hours before departure, so we did not have time to go in search of a local dentist. Sad to say, the dental wax in the kit did NOT work for me, so I just had to suffer through the last day of the cruise, without that crown in place. I frantically e-mailed my dentist, and she was able to work me in, the morning after we got home. :halo:

My front crown came off while on a Med cruise in September 2017. We fixed it back with Toofypegs emergency dental cement and it's still in place! I never travel without an emergency supply (sold in Qualitysave in UK for about £3.99)

Sent from my SM-T550 using Forums mobile app

A friend's husband cracked a tooth on an unpitted olive. The next day they debarked and flew home from St. Martin as he was in a lot of pain. They probably should have tried a dentist in Phillipsburg instead. But since they had insurance, the rest of the cruise was refunded.We always travel with a tube of Fixident and are very careful about olives!

Hi Suzanne.....I have actually had neosporin ointment keep a crown on for a week! I guess it created a vacuum on the tooth........Susan

Yep -- on our last Summit to Bermuda cruise, I had a brand-spanking-new crown come off -- in a piece of Brie, no less! :eek:

Being aware that there were no dental facilities onboard, my dear DH ran to the drugstore in Royal Naval Dockyard, to pick up an all-purpose dental repair kit. Unfortunately, this happened a couple of hours before departure, so we did not have time to go in search of a local dentist. Sad to say, the dental wax in the kit did NOT work for me, so I just had to suffer through the last day of the cruise, without that crown in place. I frantically e-mailed my dentist, and she was able to work me in, the morning after we got home. :halo:

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Hi Suzanne.....I have actually had neosporin ointment keep a crown on for a week! I guess it created a vacuum on the tooth........Susan

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Hi Susan! How are you guys?:D LOL on the NEO, doubling as dental wax! In my case, the emergency repair kit had dental wax, which should have done the job. I just couldn't get the crown, (with the wax on it) 're-seated'. Turns out that the crown needed some adjustments made to it -- so, it's probably better that I just toughed it out, for a couple of days. You certainly wouldn't want to risk accidentally swallowing something like that, would you, LOL?:eek:

Might be something that I should carry for our cruise. Husband has several crowns and he has bad luck with them. Thanks for the idea.

The next time you are at your dentist's office, just ask your dentist or hygienist for one of those little emergency repair kits that they give out to patients for free.

I pick one up from our dentist's office each time before I get ready to leave on a trip.

It's an old corollary of Murphy's Law - a crown will pop off if I don't have a little repair kit with me.

As long as I bring one along, the crowns behave themselves and I don't need it.

DH broke a tooth in 2017 in Aruba. I picked up a dental repair kit, the kind for temporary fillings. It was about $10 US.

We now carry one with us all the time.

We weren't on a cruise but I lost half a tooth in Denver eating a scrambled egg no less! It was a Sunday so we stopped at a CVS and I bought a kit for dental repair. It took a few tries with the dental paste but I finally got it to work and called my dentist for an appointment the day after we got home. He was impressed with how good it worked and now I never travel without it.

The next time you are at your dentist's office, just ask your dentist or hygienist for one of those little emergency repair kits that they give out to patients for free.

I pick one up from our dentist's office each time before I get ready to leave on a trip.

It's an old corollary of Murphy's Law - a crown will pop off if I don't have a little repair kit with me.

I didn't know that....I will ask him before out next cruise because of course you're right about not needing anything you have with you!!!

Interesting. I've never heard of the dentist giving out a repair kit.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

my brother is a retired dentist and is old partner now serves as a dentist on cruise ships. Don't know what cruise line he is contracted with, but you can check when on board to see if they have a dentist working on board

my brother is a retired dentist and is old partner now serves as a dentist on cruise ships. Don't know what cruise line he is contracted with, but you can check when on board to see if they have a dentist working on board

Since this is a Celebrity board, you will not find a dentist on any of their ships.

Ask you brother where his partner works. Could be interesting to find out. HAL used to have dentists on their ships but haven't for years. Never seen one on any of our sailings so it could be interesting to find out if some other cruise line has started adding them.

Or maybe the partner is running the tooth whitening onboard? Doubt that but who knows.

Didn’t know you could even purchase a dental emergency kit. So, they should be available either at your dentist, or your local pharmacy?

What does it include?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband suffered with a toothache while on a Celebrity cruise. The on board doctor gave him pain killer. No dentist on the ship. As soon as we got home, he went to the dentist. It was a cracked tooth. It was extracted. We always carry a kit to fix a crown and a tube of Oragel. Unfortunately, many people have injuries, etc. happen on vacation. Carry some first aide items, buy trip insurance, and pray that you do not have a problem.

Fortunately, most ocean cruise ships have a doctor. Be aware that riverboat cruises do not have any medical staff.....not even a nurse.

A few years back one in our group had a cracked tooth & a bridge came out. We went to guest relations & they made her an appointment with a dentist in the next port. We took a taxi right to his office, both were fixed quickly & we were off sight-seeing. Her travel insurance covered everything her US dental insurance didn't cover.

Didn’t know you could even purchase a dental emergency kit. So, they should be available either at your dentist, or your local pharmacy?

What does it include?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I got mine in one of the chain drugstores....I think it was CVS but it could have been Walgreen's or any of the others. I have seen them since then. It contains a tiny jar of something that's like paste (hard to describe, you put it on with the tool that's included and it hardens) and instructions. It took me several tries before I got it right but then it hardened and I could eat anything. Dentist even said it was good. I don't remember the exact price but it was under $10 for sure. Look where they have toothpaste and mouthwash and it should be hanging with things like numzit and floss picks. I had no idea you could buy something like that and asked the pharmacist at the store for something to fill a lost filling that was huge and he brought me right over to it, so apparently it's not too unusual!