What happens to bedding between cruises?

chimchimtx

We are headed out tomorrow on the Star, which I hope won't forever be known as the poop ship once we get home. I know all the to does for hard surfaces, but does anyone know what happens to the bedding?

Norovirus can survive on soft surfaces. I can't imagine them bringing in thousands of new blankets during the three hour 'deep clean' that is scheduled. But maybe there is a contingency plan in place for that. Anyone know?

On a behind the scenes tour on another cruise line, the comment was all the towels, sheets, blankets, pillow cases, etc., were stocked in at least sets of 3s. One in service, one on the shelf ready to be put in service, and one in the laundry. So, yes, they can rotate everything.

Bleach. Lots of bleach. With the new duvets, they just take the covers off and bleach them I think. Beware of those darn throw pillows though. Get rid of them. Put them in the closet up high or under the bed and tell your cabin steward you do not want them around.

The last couple of cruises we were on there were no throw pillows on the bed.

The bed sheets on the bed you get are washed at temperatures that would kill any human pathogen (disease causing organism) without question. If the room you are in had contained people who on the previous cruise had the virus, the duvet and pillows would be replaced and even the mattress if it was contaminated. Noro happens on a cruise ship not because of poor hygiene but because someone brings it onboard. They don't want to miss their cruise understandably but they really don't realise how they can destroy the enjoyment of hundreds of other passengers by doing so. You will have high levels of hygiene standards (you will be served by crew in the buffet, always a bonus etc.). The crew hate it as they are asked to work far harder but 95% of the time there will be no repeat on the next cruise and it will step down after 2-3 days.

We are headed out tomorrow on the Star, which I hope won't forever be known as the poop ship once we get home. I know all the to does for hard surfaces, but does anyone know what happens to the bedding?

Norovirus can survive on soft surfaces. I can't imagine them bringing in thousands of new blankets during the three hour 'deep clean' that is scheduled. But maybe there is a contingency plan in place for that. Anyone know?

They get changed.

On our last cruise on the Star to Hawaii I picked up the flu (type A, not part of last year's flu shot). The Hazmat crew was in daily cleaning and bed clothes, towels were changed as well. This happened until my fever broke and I was no longer quarantined. The room steward said all bedding, sheets, duvet covers, pillow cases were always changed out and laundered at the end of the cruise. They really don't want a whole new group of passengers getting sick from the germs from the last cruise. Its a lot more work for the crew when people are sick.

A number of sick passengers opt to not go to the medical center, knowing that if they do they will not be allowed out of their cabin until several days after they are symptom free. I will not address whether this is a good or bad choice on their part, but the point here is that the crew does not always know where there are sick passengers. The "deep cleaning" at change over has to address ALL cabins and all spaces, not just those where illness was known.

• Like 1

Wow! Take your Clorox wipes on board and wipe everything down before you unpack even though they say it has been sanitized. We wipe everything that the house keeping has touched.

This is what I do as soon as I get to the cabin. I just wipe down all the surfaces we touch. It only takes a few minutes.

If the passengers that were in the room before us were sick at all and not hand washers, there is only about a four hour time period between them getting out of the cabin and me getting into it.

• Like 1

If the room you are in had contained people who on the previous cruise had the virus, the duvet and pillows would be replaced and even the mattress if it was contaminated.

That assumes the people had notified Princess that they had a gastrointestinal illness. Not everyone with the symptoms goes to the medical center.

We are headed out tomorrow on the Star, which I hope won't forever be known as the poop ship once we get home.

What are you expecting will happen on the ship that will give it this name?

Your post sounds a lot like another poster here, and this is your first post. Coincidence?

Bleach. Lots of bleach. With the new duvets, they just take the covers off and bleach them I think. Beware of those darn throw pillows though. Get rid of them. Put them in the closet up high or under the bed and tell your cabin steward you do not want them around.

I thought the same thing about the throw pillows but the room steward, on our last Royal cruise in April, showed me they remove and replace the covers between guests. FWIW

A number of sick passengers opt to not go to the medical center' date=' knowing that if they do they will not be allowed out of their cabin until several days after they are symptom free. I will not address whether this is a good or bad choice on their part, but the point here is that the crew does not always know where there are sick passengers. The "deep cleaning" at change over has to address ALL cabins and all spaces, not just those where illness was known.[/quote']My experience from having caught Noro on the Crown, is to call the medical center and report it, as one is required to do. Yes, I was quarantined, but I didn't need to be as I was so sick there was no way I could have left my cabin anyway. And by reporting it, if you take out the Princess insurance plan, I was able to recoup the cost of the time I was quarantined due to trip interruption.

My experience from having caught Noro on the Crown, is to call the medical center and report it, as one is required to do. Yes, I was quarantined, but I didn't need to be as I was so sick there was no way I could have left my cabin anyway. And by reporting it, if you take out the Princess insurance plan, I was able to recoup the cost of the time I was quarantined due to trip interruption.

Good information. I didn't know that being quarantined sickness was an option for insurance reimbursement.

• Like 1

Good information. I didn't know that being quarantined sickness was an option for insurance reimbursement.
Thanks, actually now that I remember more, mine kicked in at 9 am. Around noon the Captain made an announcement that Norovirus was on the ship and for any who felt they had it to report it, and that's when I did. I made several attempts to get through by phone to the medical center and finally received a call back at 6 pm. The ship was hit hard and they were prioritizing by passenger age.

Just a quick reminder that norovirus is NOT killed by cloro x wipes. Or lysol. It requires bleach(no, cloro x disinfecting wipes do NOT contain bleach!) Or hydrogen peroxide. I plan on buying the clinical wipes that do kill noro.

• Like 1

Just a quick reminder that norovirus is NOT killed by cloro x wipes. Or lysol. It requires bleach(no, cloro x disinfecting wipes do NOT contain bleach!) Or hydrogen peroxide. I plan on buying the clinical wipes that do kill noro.
That's exactly right. As posted above I got Noro on the Crown despite having completely wiped down my cabin upon arrival with Clorox wipes. I now buy, through Amazon, Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes, by Clorox and they state to kill all viruses, including Noro. I found a better hand sanitizer, Zylast. In addition I wear disposable gloves throughout the first day of the cruise. I may sound like a freak, but having lost 3 days of a cruise to Noro, it's something I never want to go through again.

Viruses and bacteria aside, does anyone know if they put fresh (washed) bedspreads on the beds after each cruise? I'm one of those people who put hotel bedspreads in the closet, being not sure of who's bodily fluids may be on them.

That's exactly right. As posted above I got Noro on the Crown despite having completely wiped down my cabin upon arrival with Clorox wipes. I now buy, through Amazon, Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes, by Clorox and they state to kill all viruses, including Noro. I found a better hand sanitizer, Zylast. In addition I wear disposable gloves throughout the first day of the cruise. I may sound like a freak, but having lost 3 days of a cruise to Noro, it's something I never want to go through again.

No to sound blase about catching anything but it could happen on any day. If it's on the ship you've got a good change of catching it no matter what precautions you take.

Viruses and bacteria aside, does anyone know if they put fresh (washed) bedspreads on the beds after each cruise? I'm one of those people who put hotel bedspreads in the closet, being not sure of who's bodily fluids may be on them.
We've seen them have the bedspread ready to be change with the new one under the bed the last night of the cruise.