Pre-Exisiting Look Back Period - Part Deux

ccrain

Yes, most plans require that you cover any and all nonrefundable costs of your entire trip to include airfare, car rental cost, hotel, etc.. Unless they are refundable.

if you purchase refundable airline tickets, you don't have to add them to your insurance. If your hotel rates allow you to cancel before arrival, you don't have to cover.

You do NOT have to pay for ALL the insurance all at once. You can book the cruise and buy insurance that only covers the deposit, then as you book more and/or pay more, you just call the insurance company and tell them your new costs and pay the increase. Or, you can just wait until a few days before you depart for the cruise and pay the new costs.

That's interesting. I didn't know you could do that...Do you call the insurance company direct or go through the agent like Squaremouth or Insuremytrip?

That's interesting. I didn't know you could do that...Do you call the insurance company direct or go through the agent like Squaremouth or Insuremytrip?

We do each step with Trip Insurance Store, from whom we purchased the insurance (from Travel Insured, usually), so they've got records of all the payments.

I'm not sure if the insurer would take direct payments for a policy that was started through a broker, but we'd want all payments logged in one place, definitely.

GC

With Nationwide do I still get the pre-existing waiver if I pay as I go? Do you really have until final payment to get the waiver? Thank you so much for your input.

You need to check the terms of YOUR specific policy (always; other policies may differ).

For ours, we must "pay as we go". That is, as we up the payments, we need to increase the coverage.

However, usually, the largest payment is a "final payment" time, although there might be airfare or hotels in the interim.

For those, the only $$ needing to be insured would be fees for canceling the tickets, if those exist, or any pre-paid non-refundable hotel costs.

We usually try to keep hotels on "hold", guaranteed to the charge card if we don't cancel or show up.

But sometimes we check to see if there are special ultra-low non-refundable rates, as the trip dates get closer, and then we'll grab those.

If you don't make the payments per whatever schedule is required, you might be rejected for a claim.

It all depends upon your policy.

The first time we had a (large) claim, the insurer wanted to see ALL payments/dates we made for the trip, along with all payments/dates for the insurance, so at least sometimes, they really do check.

This was in addition to the letter from the physician, of course.

GC