Which document for online check in?

eljd

My fiance and I are sailing 1/20/19 on the Carnival Dream as our honeymoon. We get married on 10/13 and our online check in window opens 10/22. I don't currently have a passport, but am planning on getting one. My biggest concern is that I won't have my passport number by when online check in starts. Should I wait and just check in once I receive the passport by mail or check in using my birth certificate (which, according to Carnival's website is acceptable)?

Thanks in advance!

As long as your online check-in is completed by Carnival's deadline for that (which is the midnight prior to embarkation), I would go ahead and complete as much of your online check-in as you can and wait until you have your passport then fill that data in as well. Unless you delay applying for the passport, you should have it in plenty of time to complete check-in.

I would recommend just filling it out as birth certificate. Even if you don't go in and change it, when you present your passport at desko (your first stop in most terminals) they will scan your passport and it will automatically enter your number. It's not a big deal, just use your first and last name as will be shown on your passport and as already on your birth certificate.

I don't understand "on line check in opens"?? We only do the on line check in after final payment. There is no need to do it sooner. You only need to have it done the day before your cruise. There is NO rush to do this! You don't get anything special for doing it early.

You can pick check in times and dining times and all that without filling out all the forms for the on line check in. When you get your passport you'll have plenty of time to do all this!!

My fiance and I are sailing 1/20/19 on the Carnival Dream as our honeymoon. We get married on 10/13 and our online check in window opens 10/22. I don't currently have a passport, but am planning on getting one. My biggest concern is that I won't have my passport number by when online check in starts. Should I wait and just check in once I receive the passport by mail or check in using my birth certificate (which, according to Carnival's website is acceptable)?

Thanks in advance!

You have until a couple of days before the cruise to do it.

I don't understand "on line check in opens"?? We only do the on line check in after final payment. There is no need to do it sooner. You only need to have it done the day before your cruise. There is NO rush to do this! You don't get anything special for doing it early.

You can pick check in times and dining times and all that without filling out all the forms for the on line check in. When you get your passport you'll have plenty of time to do all this!!

Ok! I was under the impression that the earlier you check in online, the more choices you have for check in times on embarkment day! But if it’s all the same, I won’t stress about it.

If you do it early you can get the early port check in time. I checked in for our cruise when it opened so I could select the earliest check in time. Now all that’s left is 1pm check in

Not everyone waits until the last minute. Some of us like to get things started as soon as we book a cruise. And as others have said, you get to choose an early check in time and most likely get the dining time you want.

Ok! I was under the impression that the earlier you check in online, the more choices you have for check in times on embarkment day! But if it’s all the same, I won’t stress about it.

I believe this is the case and as mentioned you can fill in partial info for the passport or indicate birth certificate or maybe even leave that section until later but still be able to select your arrival time.

The same reason people prepay tips, schedule excursions, etc... No need to wait until the last minute.

I don't think there is a wrong way, it's about what works best for each person so that they can enjoy their cruise

Some people do things when they appear ready to complete. Knowing that it is done, means that you don't have to think about it again. Others love the drama of waiting to the last minute, and tell everyone how stressed they are. This happens at work all the time. It carries over to cruise check in.

It's like final payment. Why do people wait to the last day? They don't want to give the money to the cruise line but instead think they are somehow making money by waiting to the last day. The money is usually part of disposable income funds, and not long term savings plans, so there is no interest or benefit to holding it, other than the drama it creates.

Same thing with tips. Why prepay, and "give" the money early. Some people fret over this, like why should it matter. Give it now, give it later, it all means the same thing. Pay now and than you don't need to dramatize it later.

Fill out the forms when ready. Use what you have. Change it when you check in. No issues, no worries, all will be fine.

Not everyone waits until the last minute. Some of us like to get things started as soon as we book a cruise. And as others have said, you get to choose an early check in time and most likely get the dining time you want.

Remember, you pick your dining times when you book your cruise, not when you check in. ;)

You can change your online check in info after you initially complete it. If you do it with your DL & BC when it opens you can go back in and edit it when you get your Passport.

It seems like that is what you were asking.

This is exactly what we did, as I was waiting on our new passport cards. I checked in online with my birth certificate and then edited it later when the passport came in. I did the check-in early for the same reason mentioned....so you can choose an earlier check in time. However, if you are doing FTTF it won't matter, you can go whenever you feel like it.

Becky

You do not have to fill out all the check in info in order to get your dining time or check in time! We choose our dining time when we book the cruise .

We choose our check in time when it first becomes available but you don't have fill out all the forms to do that at all.

I didn't say you couldn't fill out the forms early but the OP was worried about changing names and thought they needed to fill out the forms in order to get dining and check in times which is INCORRECT. You pick those and then fill out the forms when you have your passport and name change done -no worries about that at all and no need to stress!