Lincoln Center Stage

imae39

We enjoy Lincoln Center Stage with the Classical music. Do all the Holland America ships have this? . Wondering about the Rotterdam. Not reading very good reviews on this ship but if they do have Lincoln Center Stage might give it more thought.

• 8 months later...

Just off the Zuiderdam: The Lincoln Center Stage was up and running. Let me just say...I used to really enjoy the Adagio duo while having a before dinner cocktail. I would actually make a point of getting ready early and going down there to have a drink and listen to Adagio while I waited for the rest of my party to join me. I never did this once with Lincoln Center Stage on this entire 20 day cruise. Don't get me wrong, they are very talented musicians but now it seems more like an "event" that you need to schedule instead of just entertainment to watch while you are waiting for your table to get ready. In fact, during "show times", the ship actually puts out signs telling people to be quite because "A Performance is in Progress". So you come out of the MDR, just having had a great dinner with new (and old) friends, yukking it up with the "Yum Yum" man, in a great mood and you get hit in the face with the sign that says "Quiet, Performance in Progress". Total buzz kill! You want to hear something really funny? One time we came out of the MDR and were talking normally and some do-gooder who was there waiting to get into the MDR gave us the "shoosh" sign (index finger vertically over pursed lips). What this moron didn't realize was, the actual musicians were ON BREAK and what we were hearing was A RECORDING! Give me a break!

My wife and I were on the same cruise as kevingastreitch. It was our first HAL cruise, so we don't have the past for comparison. I will say that we found the Lincoln Center Stage performers to be excellent, and we enjoyed listening to them, BUT kevin is totally correct that it's a scheduled activity, and in a really small space. So if you wanted to get a seat (an uncomfortable one at that!) to hear these folks, you really had to show up early.

Also, after several days, they repeated their (30-minute) programs, which at that point made them mostly irrelevant to us on our 20-night cruise. They said their programs are set by the powers that be back on shore. Same for the Billboard Onboard singing pianists. Mostly the same songs, night in and night out.

I think if HAL is going to devote so much of the "entertainment" space to things such as this, the performers need a more extensive repertoire.

HAL is definitely not known for its entertainment, but I was surprised by how limited the entertainment on the Zuiderdam turned out to be.

Just off the Zuiderdam: The Lincoln Center Stage was up and running. Let me just say...I used to really enjoy the Adagio duo while having a before dinner cocktail. I would actually make a point of getting ready early and going down there to have a drink and listen to Adagio while I waited for the rest of my party to join me. I never did this once with Lincoln Center Stage on this entire 20 day cruise. Don't get me wrong, they are very talented musicians but now it seems more like an "event" that you need to schedule instead of just entertainment to watch while you are waiting for your table to get ready. In fact, during "show times", the ship actually puts out signs telling people to be quite because "A Performance is in Progress". So you come out of the MDR, just having had a great dinner with new (and old) friends, yukking it up with the "Yum Yum" man, in a great mood and you get hit in the face with the sign that says "Quiet, Performance in Progress". Total buzz kill! You want to hear something really funny? One time we came out of the MDR and were talking normally and some do-gooder who was there waiting to get into the MDR gave us the "shoosh" sign (index finger vertically over pursed lips). What this moron didn't realize was, the actual musicians were ON BREAK and what we were hearing was A RECORDING! Give me a break!

We have enjoyed well over 100 LCS performances since they started. We find that better than 90% of the passers-by (both formats (Vista and Pinnacle ships)) are QUIET and CONSIDERATE. For the other 10%, if it inconveniences you to be quiet for 30 seconds, when you exit the dining room (or theater) you will find a set of stairs and elevators which will allow you to bypass the LCS performance so you can continue your way to the bar uninterrupted…..

While I haven't been on a HAL ship yet but very much looking forward to my first in April, the Music Walk Rooms seem to be themed and just like a real classical music venue they want to keep that vibe of actually being in the real Lincoln Center. I am looking forward to attending concerts there.

We have enjoyed well over 100 LCS performances since they started. We find that better than 90% of the passers-by (both formats (Vista and Pinnacle ships)) are QUIET and CONSIDERATE. For the other 10%, if it inconveniences you to be quiet for 30 seconds, when you exit the dining room (or theater) you will find a set of stairs and elevators which will allow you to bypass the LCS performance so you can continue your way to the bar uninterrupted…..

Good luck with that!

'Performances' should not be held adjacent to public walkways.

While I haven't been on a HAL ship yet but very much looking forward to my first in April, the Music Walk Rooms seem to be themed and just like a real classical music venue they want to keep that vibe of actually being in the real Lincoln Center. I am looking forward to attending concerts there.

I would not get too carried away. This is the (cramped, uncomfortable) performance space on the Zuiderdam; the only resemblance it bears to "the real Lincoln Center" is that HAL put Lincoln Center's name on it. ;p

enhance

Lincoln Center performances can't be compared to Adagio. On Adagio cruises we too enjoyed our pre-dinner drink listening to the Adagio performers. With Lincoln Centre it's entirely different, yes it's a scheduled performance and definitely not conducive to your pre-dinner drink. Given that, we absolutely love the Lincoln Center performances, especially on sea day afternoons.

Share the same thoughts about too much repetition on longer cruises.. Was surprised to learn about how "programmed" their program is...no room for inserting anything that would be relevant to the cruise/special day etc.

IMO the popularity of the LC almost warrants a larger venue and definitely in a different location on the ship. We will be on the Oosterdam TA next month and looking forward to their performances. Just have to remember to go about 30 minutes before the performance to get a seat.

Good point but you don't know there is a performance (as opposed to just a recording) going on until you are already in the area and by then, it is too late. P.S. if you are the man who "shooshed" me when it WAS only a recording, I apologize for calling you a moron.

Just off the Zuiderdam: The Lincoln Center Stage was up and running. So you come out of the MDR, just having had a great dinner with new (and old) friends, yukking it up with the "Yum Yum" man, in a great mood and you get hit in the face with the sign that says "Quiet, Performance in Progress". Total buzz kill! You want to hear something really funny? !

Not a total buzzer kill for me. After final performance one nite took the sign and put it outside my cabin door! ;p

We, too, enjoy listening to a classical performance before dinner, and never found cocktail service lacking at LCS performancesclear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704.

We've had the joy of 3 different cruises with Lincoln Center Stage onboard and the groups were different each time. Their performances were always Standing Room Only - in their "theater" and the neighboring Explorer's Lounge. In addition to the "set" repertoire of lighter classics each group was allowed to choose a set of longer "heavier" complete works (Franck, or Brahms, or Beethoven, etc.). Each group was different and chose different longer works. On our recent Zuiderdam cruise the pianist was suffered an injury and the remaining 4 were able to work up and perform completely new pieces not in their "normal" repertoire and they were as excellent and polished as their other programs.

Sadly, on this last cruise, their schedule (which it seems they have no control over) was such that they only played their lighter programs at 6 and 7PM. The "really good stuff" to us (the complete longer works) was nearly always at 9PM - so we had to choose between a relaxed dinner at our 8PM fixed seating, or hearing the later performance. We inquired, but never received an answer as to why this was. (On the Koningsdam last year, the performances were at 7:15PM and 9:15PM, and the repertoire changed out between the light and heavier programs at the different times, giving everyone the chance to hear both types - and have dinner, too!)

But even with that, LCS is, for us, a definite incentive to keep booking HAL cruises. It's the best classical music at sea we've ever experienced. Wish they were on every ship.

Kathy