Review of Hawaii (February/March 2018) excursions by port

Ejccgma

Oahu

We did the Super Ambassador Package at Polynesian Cultural Center.

We loved it and a great way to start our 10 day vacation. We were definitely treated like VIPs and felt it is worth the money. We had our own guide(Sam) & he was very friendly and informative. He made sure we were able to see all shows (front row seats) & participate in activities. We relaxed and enjoyed the day as Sam took care of all details. We thought the food and entertainment at luau was excellent and the theater production Ha-Breath of Life was spectacular!

The next day, we used Hawaii Jeep Tours for Circle Island Tour. Saw all the different landscapes and interesting stops. Our guide was Travis and he really was knowledgeable and customized the tour for us. Saw Dole Plantation, Downtown Honolulu, Banzai Pipeline, Haleiwa Town, and Waimea Bay to name a few stops. Had great food at Mike’s Food Truck and stopped at Leonard’s for malasadas. Loved this private fun tour and recommend!

Before getting on the POA ship Saturday, we booked Discover Hawaii Tours for Pearl Harbor/Historical Honolulu. Picked us up in a minibus promptly at 9 and headed to Punchbowl National Cemetery and Pearl Harbor. Driver/Guide gave us good information and handed us the tickets for the movie and ride to Arizona Memorial. We met afterwards for quick tour of downtown. He did stop to let us get out and take pictures.Dropped us off at hotel at 1:30pm. Plenty of time to grab our luggage and get taxi to port. Very happy with this company!

Maui

Used Aina Lahaina Taxi (met right outside of Kahului Port) to go on our own to Lahaina for 3 hours, then took us to Ka’anapali Beach for 3 hours. Enjoyed lunch at Hula Grill on Beach. Great reliable, friendly, reasonable clean cab company. Set up a few weeks before we left home and asked for a price quote. Gave us cell number in case we needed. Would definitely use again!

Hilo and Kona

Used Mary Lou’s Big Island Guided Tours-Private after reading 5 star reviews on CC and TA. Exceptional tours, reasonable prices, and Mary Lou was knowledgeable, friendly and shared her love of the Island. We were able to see all the highlights and more of Hilo and Kona because we did not have to wait for 30-40 people to get on and off a bus. Talked to other cruisers and staff who were amazed at everything we got to see on our excursions.

Kauai

We used Hawaii Jeep Tours again because we saved about $115 by booking them for both islands. Both times it was just the two of us with the guide so we got to go at our pace and select what we wanted to experience. Our guide was D.J. and he was fantastic. We loved the Waimea Canyon, Spouting Horn blowhole and Waipoo Falls. Check this Company out for your sightseeing excursion from port.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How many people were on your Pearl Harbor tour? What type of vehicle did they use? Were there multiple pickup locations? I want to avoid a huge tour bus which stops at multiple places before heading to Pearl Harbor.

Did the tour include the actual boat trip to the Arizona Memorial?

How many people were on your Pearl Harbor tour? What type of vehicle did they use? Were there multiple pickup locations? I want to avoid a huge tour bus which stops at multiple places before heading to Pearl Harbor.

If you want to avoid a bus you can easily take an Uber or taxi to the visitors center and tour on your own. Tickets for the boat trip can be booked through the National Park Service in advance for a timed tour.

It was a mini-bus, we had about 16-20 on bus. We were dropped off third at our hotel, not sure how many stops. Yes, the tour includes the entrance fee for museums, movie and boat ride to the Arizona Memorial.

• 1 month later...

We used Mary Lou’s Big Island Tours when we were on the PoA.On our second day in Kailua-Kona there were just 4 of us. My friend and I had booked both days. When we got off the ship Ken told us that we would be the only guests because a family had inquired but never confirmed. We saw a couple that we had met on board and asked what they planned to do. We had told them the night before about the great time we had with Mary Lou in Hilo and encouraged them to come with us. We had a ball. Lots to see and do and no large group to wait for. Ken and Mary Lou are wonderful. And Ken took us to Keoki’s a greta local spot for lunch and treated us to white pineapple at the farmers market.

When we were on Oahu we did PH on our own. We had rented a car (we were there for 9 days) but it is easy to get there from Honolulu/Waikiki on public transportation or via taxi/Uber. We saw large bus tours while we were there and they seemed to be rushed. We were able to take our time and see everything about the attack as well as the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial.

Ejccgma , thanks for the review. I was wondering, for the Super Ambassador package, did you do the Ali'l Luau or the Prime Rib dinner and based on what you did and saw, which would you recommend?

We did the Luau and thought the food was very good and the luau entertainment also fun. Can’t say anything about Prime Rib dinner since we didn’t try it. Didn’t hear any comments from anyone either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...
Hilo and Kona

Used Mary Lou’s Big Island Guided Tours-Private after reading 5 star reviews on CC and TA. Exceptional tours, reasonable prices, and Mary Lou was knowledgeable, friendly and shared her love of the Island. We were able to see all the highlights and more of Hilo and Kona because we did not have to wait for 30-40 people to get on and off a bus. Talked to other cruisers and staff who were amazed at everything we got to see on our excursions.

What places did you visit with Mary Lou?

HILO PORT

Hawaii Volcano National Park:

The steam vents,

The Jaggar museum,

The Kilauea Iki Crater,

The Thurston Lava tube where you can actually walk (about a 15 minute walk),The Orchid farm

The Mauna Loa Macadamia Candy farm,The Rainbow Falls, Hilo bay front,

The King Kamehameha Statue,

Banyan drive, liliuokalani Japanese gardens, Coconut Island, and

Richardson's black Sand Beach

to see giant green sea turtles.

KONA

Some of the Sites are:

the Kona coastline,

Magic sands beach,

Turtle bay,

Honaunau bay,

Greenwells Coffee plantation where you can try some of

there home grown coffees,

The Bee Farm,Painted Church,

Kealakekua Bay where Captain Cook had his last battle and lost.

The National Park- The City of Refuge,Kona Brewery &The Farmers Market

I've just booked Hilo and Kona with Marylou for next May - and spoke with her last night; what a wonderful woman she is.

Obviously I hope that at least some of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park is open by the time I'm there, but regardless, they will be wonderful tours. She was even able to accommodate a couple of requests I had....

They give away free tickets every morning beginning at 7:00 am. Go to recreation dot gov pearl harbor to see the details. We arrived at 6:45 am and received tickets for the 7:30 am boat. Also, if you are there early, there is onsite free parking.