14 day Alaska staterooms showing sold out-Question

Andi Land

Hi! I'm looking at the 14 day Alaska round trip Seattle on the Amsterdam for 2019. It looks like some categories of staterooms are sold out already. For those of you more familiar, does this happen often or could it be that lots of people booked on the $1 deposit day and are holding rooms they don't plan on keeping? I know any answers will be educated guesses at this point but that's why I came to the most cruise educated group I know. I was specifically looking at the Lanai category.

There is no way any one here can answer your question. A lot of that info is proprietary...and I don't recall there ever having been a $1 sale before.

That being said, I am sure there are some people who will cancel as final payment date approaches. How many people that will be is, again, proprietary.

So, if you want to go, book a cabin. If the fare goes down, you typically will get the new fare if before final payment. If you want to change cabin categories, you might be able to talk your way into a deal for that change.

The 14-day itinerary seems to be very popular and there will be fewer of them in 2019 than in previous years, so that may be part of the reason for the SOLD OUT designation.

Also, there are several cruises that have groups on them. The groups will reserve a number of cabins based on their guesstimate of how many will attend. As final payment gets closer the unsold cabins will become available.

There is no way any one here can answer your question. A lot of that info is proprietary...and I don't recall there ever having been a $1 sale before.

That being said, I am sure there are some people who will cancel as final payment date approaches. How many people that will be is, again, proprietary.

So, if you want to go, book a cabin. If the fare goes down, you typically will get the new fare if before final payment. If you want to change cabin categories, you might be able to talk your way into a deal for that change.

HAL had a $1 deposit day sale about 3 weeks ago, we booked our July 2019 Alaskan cruise while it was in effect [emoji16]

Was the second time I have seen such a sale this past year with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

HAL had a $1 deposit day sale about 3 weeks ago, we booked our July 2019 Alaskan cruise while it was in effect [emoji16]

Was the second time I have seen such a sale this past year with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But that doesn't answer the OP's question...because there is no definitive answer for the OP. There is no way to know, or even predict what will happen with cancellations. The OP seems to acknowledge this, but still wants some magical answer to appear...

But that doesn't answer the OP's question...because there is no definitive answer for the OP. There is no way to know, or even predict what will happen with cancellations. The OP seems to acknowledge this, but still wants some magical answer to appear...

Sorry I was just verifying the OP statement about the $1 deposit sale since you stated you hadn’t heard about it.

I just checked in POLAR (travel agency booking system). For the 8/12/19 sailing category CA (lanai) rooms are currently sold out. All other suite, oceanview and interior categories show as available to book, regardless of fare code (Advantage, Explore4, Non-refundable deposit, or agency groups). Categories DD and N are on a guarantee basis only, all other categories have rooms available for assignment.

I do know the HAL system limits the number of cabins showing available on their website, or on other consumer websites, but their call centre agents, PCC's or a knowledgeable travel agent should know how to access full inventory. If you are being told otherwise by whomever is helping you book I would find another agent to work with.

Inventory Control at HAL seems to be keeping a tighter rein on what is available to book. I asked my my PCC about it and even he couldn't access any more than I could online.

The only time HAL selectively limits inventory is when a particular cruise is also sold as multiple segments. Each segment, and the full voyage (or combination cruise) will each have certain rooms allocated by revenue management.

Beyond that they sometimes restrict guests needing only double occupancy rooms from booking cabins that can accommodate 3 or more, especially on sailings that historically have more families aboard.

I don’t want a magical answer. If I did, I’d talk to the fairies and unicorns who live down the street with the magician to see what they have to offer. I asked for opinions and supposition. Sometimes there are people in the know. Like the gentleman who is a travel agent. He had something concrete and valid to offer and I appreciate the dialogue he gave.

I just checked in POLAR (travel agency booking system). For the 8/12/19 sailing category CA (lanai) rooms are currently sold out. All other suite, oceanview and interior categories show as available to book, regardless of fare code (Advantage, Explore4, Non-refundable deposit, or agency groups). Categories DD and N are on a guarantee basis only, all other categories have rooms available for assignment.

I do know the HAL system limits the number of cabins showing available on their website, or on other consumer websites, but their call centre agents, PCC's or a knowledgeable travel agent should know how to access full inventory. If you are being told otherwise by whomever is helping you book I would find another agent to work with.

Thank you for the helpful, thoughtful, positive reply. It is appreciated.

We booked this year's Alaskan Explorer on Zaandam just 2 months in advance and all of the summer itineraries still had space left, and we had plenty of cabin choice left on our sailing.

Cruise lines really play with inventory, so don't worry too much about it.

Group or touroperator reservations can block large amounts of cabins that they may not claim in the end. And cruiselines also shift people around and limit certain availability, or allocate cabins to specific markets.

If you are ok with 'any' cabin that is, if there is something particular you want like a top-level suite they tend to go soon and sold is sold.

It's a great itinerary, you will love it.

I don’t want a magical answer. If I did, I’d talk to the fairies and unicorns who live down the street with the magician to see what they have to offer. I asked for opinions and supposition. Sometimes there are people in the know. Like the gentleman who is a travel agent. He had something concrete and valid to offer and I appreciate the dialogue he gave.

Lol.:D

I think most of us understood your request was reasonable. (y)

Enjoy your cruise. It should be fantastic!