ZUIDERDAM 5/1/2004 --98

ZAANDAM 4/3/2004 --98

NOORDAM 3/28/2004 --93

RYNDAM 3/13/2004 --94

PRINSENDAM 1/20/2004 --90

Average HAL score: 95

The current Vista Series Westerdam has not yet been scored

Dear Deb,

Oh, I'm sorry! :) The CDC = Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. They do inspections of all Cruise ships for health and safety. You can find the scores and the criteria here:

CDC Vessel Sanitation Program

Here is a link to the Cruise Ship Sanitation Inspection Checklist:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/Archives/checklis.htm

Looking at this list ... I'm amazed ... the kitchen in my Rectory would probably score a negative 50. I find it AMAZING that these cruise ships score so well ... their attention to detail is incredible!

I thought I'd go ahead and cut-and-past the checklist to this page so that we can look at these items in more detail ... if anyone is so inclined! :D Hey, it beats all heck out of hurricanes and hula dancing!

Cruise Ship Sanitation Inspection Checklist

Total: 100 points

A. Water

1. Potable water (PW) chlorinated or brominated to at least 2.0 parts per million (ppm) (mg/l) at the time of bunkering. PW tanks constructed and maintained. (5 points)

2. PW distribution system treated to provide a free halogen residual greater than or equal to 0.2 ppm by means of an approved chlorination or bromination system. (5 points)

3. PW system chlorine analyzer and chart recorder maintained, operated, and calibrated. Acceptable evidence of potability. (5 points)

4. PW system not subjected to contamination through cross-contaminations to nonpotable water supply or through backflow or backsiphonage. (3 points)

5. PW filling hoses, caps, and connections maintained and stored. Sample cocks provided on tanks. Tank vents and sounding tubes property installed and maintained. (1 point)

6. Swimming pools, spas, whirlpools, hot tubs, and similar facilities maintained and operated. (3 points)

7. Plumbing fixtures, supply lines, drain lines and drains installed and maintained in good repair. (1 point)

B. Food Protection And Source

a. Source, sound condition, no spoilage. Unwrapped food not re-served. (5 points)

9. Original containers, labeling used. (2 points)

10. Potentially hazardous food meets temperature requirements during storage, preparation, display, service, and transportation. (5 points)

11. Practices and facilities provided to maintain product temperature. (2 points)

12. Thermometers provided and properly located. (1 point)

13. Potentially hazardous food properly thawed. (2 points)

14. Food protected during storage, preparation, display, service, and transportation. (2 points)

15. No cross-contamination between raw, ready-to-eat, and cooked foods. (2 points)

16. Handling of food, ice minimized. (2 points)

17. In-use food, ice dispensing, and preparation utensils stored. (1 point)

C. Personnel

18. Food handlers free of infections and communicable diseases. Medical logs maintained and recorded. (5 points)

19. Hands washed and clean; good hygiene practiced; uniforms clean. (4 points)

D. Equipment And Warewashing

20. Food-contact and ice-contact surfaces designed, constructed, maintained, installed, and located. (2 points)

21. Nonfood-contact surfaces designed, constructed, maintained, installed, and located. (1 point)

22. Dishwashing and equipment washing facilities designed, constructed, maintained. installed, located, and operated. (2 points)

23. Warewashing thermometers, chemical test kits provided. (1 point)

24. Dishes and utensils preflushed, scraped, soaked. (1 point)

25. Wash and rinse water clean, of proper temperature. (1 point)

26. Sanitizing rinse clean, of proper temperature, concentration, and exposure time. (3 points)

27. Wiping cloths and chef's towels clean, properly stored; use restricted. (1 point)

28. Food-contact surfaces of equipment and utensils clean. (2 points)

29. Nonfood-contact surfaces of equipment and utensils clean. (1 point)

30. Proper storage, handling of clean/soiled equipment and utensils. (1 point)

31. Single-service articles properly stored, dispensed. (1 point)

32. Proper use of single-service articles or containers. (2 points)

E. Solid And Liquid Waste Disposal

33. Solid waste containers covered, of adequate number, located. Liquid waste disposed of properly. (3 points)

F. Toilet And Handwashing Facilities

34. Facilities convenient, accessible, designed, installed. (3 points)

35. Hand cleanser, sanitary towels, waste receptacles, and signs provided. (1 point)

G. Pest Control And Toxic Substances

36. No presence of insects and rodents; outer openings protected; approved pesticide application. (3 point)

37. Toxic Items stored, labeled, and used properly. (5 points)

H. Miscellaneous Facilities

38. Decks, bulkheads, and deckheads clean, of proper construction, in good repair. (1 point)

39. Lighting provided as required; fixtures shielded. (1 point)

40. Rooms and equipment vented. (1 point)

41. Premises free of unnecessary articles; cleaning equipment stored; only authorized personnel permitted. (1 point)

42. Clean and soiled linen in proper storage areas. (1 point)

Thank You!!

I'm amazed at all the detail that is inspected, I wonder how these viral outbreaks occur with all the attention to detail.

With all the talk about A/C issues on the Z, wouldn't this show up on the report?

Thanks again for the education, I'm always learning on this board.

I'm just glad the CDC doesn't come inspect my kitchen!

Boy howdy, is that EVER true for me, too! The guidelines and standards by which they judge these ships are very tight ... I don't see how anybody meets them! I know MY kitchen would fail.

I know I'm going to be stepping on some toes here, but with a score of 89 the Maasdam is only passing by 3 points. That doesn't overly impress me. A score of 86 is needed to pass. Of course, the Maasdam is the next ship I'll be sailing on.

:( Oh dear - we are booked on our first cruise December 22 (Maasdam Holiday Cruise). We paid almost twice as much to go then as opposed to the time period before or after - but did so without complaint because Maasdam schedule works best for us, the islands are the ports we want to see, AND we can drive to Norfolk in 4 hours. Now I read this - please tell me we didn't make a mistake booking this for our first cruise. Other boards do not say the nice things about Maasdam that this board does (so I quit reading those and came to this board)! I have already posted about being afraid of drinking "strange water" when traveling, so you can imagine my reaction when I read this post!

:( Oh dear - we are booked on our first cruise December 22 (Maasdam Holiday Cruise). We paid almost twice as much to go then as opposed to the time period before or after - but did so without complaint because Maasdam schedule works best for us, the islands are the ports we want to see, AND we can drive to Norfolk in 4 hours. Now I read this - please tell me we didn't make a mistake booking this for our first cruise. Other boards do not say the nice things about Maasdam that this board does (so I quit reading those and came to this board)! I have already posted about being afraid of drinking "strange water" when traveling, so you can imagine my reaction when I read this post!

If its any comfort to you, I believe most ships won't be content with a low score and will work hard to bring them up to standard.

Wow! I'm impressed ... 100 for the Oosterdam! We're sailing on her in November so I'm glad she's all spiffy and clean:D
Heather,

How can you be happy about a 100 score on the Oosterdam, when some of us are living in fear of an 89 on the Maasdam?;)

Heather,

How can you be happy about a 100 score on the Oosterdam, when some of us are living in fear of an 89 on the Maasdam?;)

Just pack your scrub brush and Lysol and pitch in and give the crew a hand. You'll have those deficiencies corrected in no time.... well, at least by the time you get back.:D

Heather,

Geez, Marc - I'd be worried about the Maasdam too! YIKES!!! That is pathetic!!!!

When we left last Spring, half of the long-standing crew left with us... disappointing to those sailing since, I'm sure.

Rest assured - HAL with double the efforts to bring that score up - you won't need the lysol or scrub brush - just don't let anyone lean across your Lido tray to see the day's offerings! :D That should keep you relatively safe... :D

oh, btw- the tongue in cheek reference to being happy about another ship's score is not lost on me, you little devil!!! :eek:

Rev. Neal, Thank you for the report. As a corporate exec. chef for a large nursing home company I know the importance of safe practices in the kitchens (the only other business monitored more closely than a nuclear power plant is a nursing home). The numbers that you reported are very good......I know the Massdam seems a little shakey........but all in all great scores!! If everyone can just remember to use the hand sanitizers that are readily available in stores or on the ships as I've heard they will be fine. Studys say that using the hand sanitizers are effective long after a simple hand washing is. Just an FYI.............Chef Nancy:)

Now I read this - please tell me we didn't make a mistake booking this for our first cruise. Other boards do not say the nice things about Maasdam that this board does (so I quit reading those and came to this board)! I have already posted about being afraid of drinking "strange water" when traveling, so you can imagine my reaction when I read this post!

Dear Linda and Vern,

Let not your hearts be troubled! I know that 89 might look like a low score, but it's really not ... not when you consider what it was that they were marked down 11 points for.

3 points were deducted in the whirlpool/spas for:

A REVIEW OF THE LOGS NOTED NUMEROUS DAYS WHERE THE BROMINE RESIDUALS WERE LESS THEN 4 PPM AT THE WHIRLPOOLS. THERE WAS NO INDICATION ON THE CHARTS THAT THE WHIRLPOOLS WERE CLOSED. AS PER THE ENGINEER THE CHART READINGS WERE DIRECT READINGS OF THE FREE BROMINE RESIDUALS.

2 points were deducted in the Lido for:

THE ICE MACHINES WERE DIFFICULT TO CLEAN. THE DESIGN OF THESE UNITS REQUIRED THE REMOVAL OF MULTIPLE PANELS TO ACCESS THE BACK OF THE FIRST ICE PLATE AND THE FRONT AND BACK OF THE SECOND ICE PLATE. ONE ICE MACHINE WAS LOCATED IN AN AREA WHERE THE BULKHEAD PARTIALLY BLOCKED ACCESS TO THE PANELS. IN ADDITION, SOFT SEALANT WAS USED ALONG THE OUTER EDGES OF THE PANELS THAT REQUIRE REMOVAL FOR CLEANING OF THE ICE MACHINES.

and

THE BULK MILK CONTAINER DISPENSING TUBE WAS LONGER THAN ONE INCH.

2 points were deducted in the Lido for:

PLATES AND BOWLS WERE NOT STORED INVERTED. THIS WAS NOTED FOR THE BACK-UP PLATES AS WELL AS PLATES FOR THE PORT BUFFET WHICH WAS CLOSED AT THE TIME OF THE INSPECTION.

and

CONDENSATE WAS NOTED DRIPPING ON TO CLEAN DISHES AS THEY EXITED THE DISHWASH MACHINES IN THE MAIN GALLEY AND CREW GALLEY. CONDENSATE WAS DRIPPING ON TO CLEAN PANS AS THE PANS EXITED THE POTWASH MACHINE.

1 point was deducted in the Crew and Main Galleys for:

VENTILATION WAS NOT SUFFICIENT TO REMOVE CONDENSATE ABOVE THE DISHWASH AND POT WASH MACHINES IN THE CREW AND MAIN GALLEYS.

3 points were deducted in the Crew Coffee and Breakfast Pantry for:

THE FLOOR DRAIN BENEATH THE COFFEE STATION WAS SOILED WITH MOLD AND NUMEROUS WHITE INSECTS WERE CRAWLING IN AND AROUND THE FLOOR DRAIN.

and

FIVE FLIES WERE NOTED ON THE COUNTER AND EQUIPMENT IN THE PANTRY.

In response to these problems, the Maasdam filed a comprehensive "Corrective Action Statement" which dealt with each of these problems, indicating that each one has either been corrected or was to be immediately corrected. In addition to corrective action taken on the above items for which the ship was deducted points, the statement includes how they planned on handling the other non-deduction problems that were found. In short, their next score should be significantly higher ... as is usually the case.

In other words, please don't let yourself be worried by this. These ships are VERY VERY clean -- much cleaner than most restaurants or hotels on land. The water is clean and pure and wonderful to drink ... I wouldn't worry about it.

Archived