Need to know which Obstructed View Cat G is Least Obstructed

erikishere

I'll be on the Jewel on a 9 nighter to the Southern British Caribbean this December 2008. I've been on the Pearl on the exact same trip. I believe the NCL Gem also, is the same class, with the same deck-plans.

We always get a Category G obstructed view on Deck 8, but our last sailing on the Pearl, our catergory G stateroom, was 100% totally obstructed, and I understand there is a web-site out there that identifies whether a NCL catergory G obstructed stateroom is 25% or 50% or 75%, or Heaven forbid, 100% obstructed view.

So does any kind Cruise Critic poster, have personal experience of the G category on Deck 8 (stateroom number or numbers would be greatly appreciated) on a Jewel, Pearl, or Gem class NCL ship, or second best, a link to that info on a previous Cruise Critic "thread", or thirdly, the name of a website that would have that information.

Thank-you kindly, from erikishere

I think my Original "post-question" was too Convoluted to understand.

Does anybody know of any web-site, or source, I can go to that tells the percentage (25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%), that an "Obstructed View Room", blocked by the Lifeboats, is?

Usually it's the 'G' category on Deck #8 (my favorite deck, where all the action is), on a Jewel, Pearl, or Gem class ship.

I'll be booking this week and Obstructed View Rooms are the Least expensive of the Outside rooms, and they're all the same price. so I might as well get as much view (75%), as possible.

All insights, ideas, and guidance, greatly appreciated, erikishere

I think my Original "post-question" was too Convoluted to understand.

Does anybody know of any web-site, or source, I can go to that tells the percentage (25%, 50%, 75%, or 100%), that an "Obstructed View Room", blocked by the Lifeboats, is?

Usually it's the 'G' category on Deck #8 (my favorite deck, where all the action is), on a Jewel, Pearl, or Gem class ship.

I'll be booking this week and Obstructed View Rooms are the Least expensive of the Outside rooms, and they're all the same price. so I might as well get as much view (75%), as possible.

All insights, ideas, and guidance, greatly appreciated, erikishere

It's my understanding that the first 3 on each side (8050,8052, 8054, 8550,8552,8554) are completely unobstructed on the Jewel, although there's a small boat underneath the window (or something). The category G cabins farther aft on both sides are 100% obstructed. You used to be able to get this info from the NCL UK site, but I don't believe it's available anymore.

I appreciate the insight, and I just found out that not only the Jewel, and the Pearl, and the Gem,

but also the Jade. and Pride of Hawaii, are all of the "Same Class" with the "Same Deck Plans".

Interesting.

Five (5) similar ships, so a Question about one ship from a poster, might be anwered by another poster, who's been on one of the other four (4) ships.

Good to know, even with slight difference public room designs, I would imagine that the stateroom locations are exactly the same on all Five (5) Ships. Would I be correct?

We always get a Category G obstructed view on Deck 8, but our last sailing on the Pearl, our catergory G stateroom, was 100% totally obstructed

we'll be in cabin 8596 on the Pearl. From your quote I think it is safe to say we will not see anything from our window then :-((

I haven't checked the cruisedeckplan website but we had the same question a couple of months ago when booking the Gem. We were looking at cabin 8050 or 8052 (the 2 furthest forward of the Cat. G cabins on deck 8) because an NCL rep told me that the NCL website showed them as being 100% unobstructed. But, when I found an actual video on Youtube that showed the Gem backing out of a dock, it certainly looked to me that the NCL rep was wrong. Watch the video and decide what you think about t

Deck 8 is where all the action is. You're right by the always opened Endless Summer Restuarant, which is alot of Fun, the Mambos (free speciality restuarant) is right there too, plus the Atrium with classy stairs going down to the Crystal atrium and Java Cafe, but most important you're on the floor with the reservation desk (by Mambos) for the Specialty restuarants.

How much did I Love Deck 8 on the Pearl?

Enough that I would not trade my Deck 8 obstucted view, for even a "free upgrade", to an unobstructed view, to only be stuck in the "bowels" of the ship, on deck 5 or 4 (that's considered an "upgrade", but only staterooms down there, that's no fun).

poohbear95, have Fun on Deck 8. It's hard not to.

Have Fun, erikishere

erikishere -

If having any sort of view does matter to you then I really urge you to double check to be sure about the degree of obstruction. When we were considering these same cabins earlier this year, I found some photos on this board which had been taken from one of the Category G (obstructed view) handicap cabins on the deck 8. Apparently, the windows of the handicap cabins are slightly above the lifeboats so you do have a view out to sea but just can't look down. I tried to book one of those cabins but the NCL rep wouldn't allow us to do that since they wanted to keep them open in case a handicapped person needed one...of course, that makes sense. That was when the rep told us that the forward Category G cabins (8050 and 8052) were listed in the NCL computer system as not having any obstructions at all because there weren't any lifeboats directly in front of their windows. But, as I posted before, I found the Gem video on Youtube and it sure looked as though those cabins are totally blocked by lifeboats that actually are mounted a bit higher than the other lifeboats..actually lessening the potential view. Frankly, I have to assume that the cruisedeckplans website gets their information from NCL so it might also be incorrect. Again, I don't know for sure that it's wrong but I can't see how those forward Cat G cabins could possibly be listed in the NCL computer system as not being at all obstructed. It sure would be great if someone whose been in one of those Category G cabins would post to tell us what they saw.

Here is a photo of our Gem Cabin 8560. I think most deck plans say it is 100% obstructed. But beware, outside deck 8 are rather large spot lights that illuminate the ship, prominade deck and cabin at night. Also ocasionally there are employees working from the catwalk at all hours of the night

P2060220.jpg.daa77b622e1d54542390ad29a18a387b.jpg

P2060221.jpg.08465a2e01c190802d061c778e19696f.jpg

• 1 month later...

I read a post that Jade (it was Pride of Hawaii when post was written) obstructed view cabin 8578 is completely obstructed. No view of anything but some electrical panel!

Still searching for anyone with any info on Jade obstructed view cabins 8056 and 8058. Love to know some FACTS!

I read a post that Jade (it was Pride of Hawaii when post was written) obstructed view cabin 8578 is completely obstructed. No view of anything but some electrical panel!

Still searching for anyone with any info on Jade obstructed view cabins 8056 and 8058. Love to know some FACTS!

I was in 8054 on the Jewel. You could see the top of a small boat (nothing as big as the lifeboats), but then just ocean. The first 3 cabins port and starboard in Category G (our group booked them all) have the same sort of "unobstructed"ish view. I didn't visit 8056 to see what they could see. We loved our cabins! :D

I was in 8054 on the Jewel. You could see the top of a small boat (nothing as big as the lifeboats), but then just ocean. The first 3 cabins port and starboard in Category G (our group booked them all) have the same sort of "unobstructed"ish view. I didn't visit 8056 to see what they could see. We loved our cabins! :D

Thanks for your first-hand report. 8050,8052, 8054, 8550,8552,and 8554 are the ones I read about being some of the "secret" cabins on Jade and Jewel. Unfortuneately they are all booked on our B2B cruises next January, so we were hoping someone might know is you can see anything at all, except for boat, in 8056. I doubt it in 8058, but we may have to take that cabin for our first leg. At least we should have some daylight in our cabin! (We usually just get inside cabins! ;) )

I was on the Pearl two years ago in cabin 8050 and it was totally unobstructed. We also had family and friends in 8052 and 8054 that were also totally unobstructed. I just booked cabin 8050 on the Pearl yesterday for Feb. 15, 2009. I think you save a little money with these cabins and the views are just fine.:)

I'll be on the Jewel on a 9 nighter to the Southern British Caribbean this December 2008. I've been on the Pearl on the exact same trip. I believe the NCL Gem also, is the same class, with the same deck-plans.

We always get a Category G obstructed view on Deck 8, but our last sailing on the Pearl, our catergory G stateroom, was 100% totally obstructed, and I understand there is a web-site out there that identifies whether a NCL catergory G obstructed stateroom is 25% or 50% or 75%, or Heaven forbid, 100% obstructed view.

So does any kind Cruise Critic poster, have personal experience of the G category on Deck 8 (stateroom number or numbers would be greatly appreciated) on a Jewel, Pearl, or Gem class NCL ship, or second best, a link to that info on a previous Cruise Critic "thread", or thirdly, the name of a website that would have that information.

Thank-you kindly, from erikishere

Found this in an online review. Cabin 8060 on NCL Jade (former Pride of Hawaii). Can't really see what the view is, but there appears to be lots of light.

Jade8060oceanview-stateroom.jpg

"...I was on the Pearl two years ago in cabin 8050 and it was totally unobstructed..."

That is good news, since we are going to be in that cabin for 19 days come Sep! I saw the Pearl go by a couple of times in the last few weeks, heading for Alaska. I could only see the port side, and it looked like there were some mini-lifeboats hanging 'bout where 8050 would be on the starboard side...

Good for you OldBaldGuy! Have a great time.

We still have more than five months before our Jade (aka Pride of Hawaii) B2B where we will have booked obstructed-view G class cabins, 8056 and 8058. Still looking for anyone who has been in or heard about what the degree (like 25%, 50%, 100%) of obstruction is in either of these two cabins. Pretty sure it would be identical to the Jewel as they are sister ships. We upgraded from inside cabins as we really wanted to be on deck 8 so are hopeful, as natural light alone will be a great improvement! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the website. I tried going into it but to view the actual deck/room one has to be a member. Is there a way to get around this? When we booked we also got an obstructed cabin on deck 8 and then we checked NCL under our reservation and it had us on deck 4. It was also conflicting as one said cat F and the other FF. I guess I'm wondering if deck 4 is obstructed.

I too would like to know about obstructed cabins on the Jade.

what tabout the cabins that are sideways?

Deck 4 ocean view rooms will not be obstructed, but they are just port holes, not picture windows. Just keep in mind that deck 4 is the deck that everyone uses to exit the ship on port days. Potentially lots of hall traffic.