NCL Haven Cruiser Trying Seaside YC

RollTideGuy

DH and I have cruised NCL in the Haven twice and enjoyed it very much.

We are Silver members with NCL.

The NCL cruises seem to be getting much more crowded while the prices for Haven rooms are going up dramatically on the newer ships.

We are planning to book the Seaside in the YC.

Any other Haven Cruisers tried the YC?

How does it compare?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had our first Yacht Club experience this summer and really loved it. We think that most things were better in the Yacht Club compared to the Haven.

We had planned to cruise on the Epic but since the prices for suites on NCL compared to MSCs Yacht Club are so extremely high we decided to try something new.

A few days after coming home from our Meraviglia cruise we booked a cruise on Divina.

I've never sailed with NCL but I've heard the biggest difference are the cabins - more options and bigger suites with NCL. But every review I've heard is that YC is doing a great job of bringing Haven passengers over to MSC. We're going on our 3rd MSC cruise next month (on the Seaside), 2nd in YC and can highly recommend it. Amazing service, a lot of dedicated space to YC passengers, all inclusive drinks throughout the ship (including your mini-fridge) and we love the variety and cuisine offered in the YC dining room. They'll also status match you to your highest level with any other cruise line which offers some nice perks. Happy sailings!

I've never sailed with NCL but I've heard the biggest difference are the cabins - more options and bigger suites with NCL. But every review I've heard is that YC is doing a great job of bringing Haven passengers over to MSC. We're going on our 3rd MSC cruise next month (on the Seaside), 2nd in YC and can highly recommend it. Amazing service, a lot of dedicated space to YC passengers, all inclusive drinks throughout the ship (including your mini-fridge) and we love the variety and cuisine offered in the YC dining room. They'll also status match you to your highest level with any other cruise line which offers some nice perks. Happy sailings!

The biggest suites are bigger on NCL.

The bad thing with NCL is that they have many two bedroom suites and that means that there can be lots of kids in the Haven on some cruises.

The biggest suites are bigger on NCL.

The bad thing with NCL is that they have many two bedroom suites and that means that there can be lots of kids in the Haven on some cruises.

I've read that a lot about the Haven. We've done suites on NCL before the bigger ships came out with the larger Haven, but we just don't want to take the chance on having our cruise experience ruined by out of control kids.

we have been on Haven 3x and just returned from YC on Divina.

You will be a happy person, as we were.

first the price is less, the service is better.

The rooms on NCL Haven are larger, but they are large enough on YC .

My last NCL cruise gave me the impression that they are nickel and diming and no longer making it appealing top me.

You will be very pleased on MSC YC

I sailed on both within three months of each other and wrote a long review here ...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2543069

Both really excellent products.

This review is outstanding!

I’m hoping the Seaside will address most of the issues you encountered on the Divina regarding chairs and shade.

We typically sail in the Haven Spa Suites.

I’m hoping the spa on Seaside will be really nice compared the the Getaway and Escape.

Thanks again!

We did our first YC this summer. People have hit the main comparisons. YC better, cheaper. YC rooms smaller - basically most are about the size of a mini-suite on NCL.

NCL will continue to lose pax to YC due to their prices but who knows, maybe it is working out for them with their upgrade advantage program.

We did our first YC this summer. People have hit the main comparisons. YC better, cheaper. YC rooms smaller - basically most are about the size of a mini-suite on NCL.

NCL will continue to lose pax to YC due to their prices but who knows, maybe it is working out for them with their upgrade advantage program.

Thanks Dex.

I agree that it may be working for NCL but I wish they would change it.

I just don’t like the idea of having to bid for my cabin or pay way too much for it.

I am hoping NCL listens to their people but glad that MSC is trying to provide a similar product and a great price.

Thanks Dex.

I just don’t like the idea of having to bid for my cabin or pay way too much for it.

I am hoping NCL listens to their people but glad that MSC is trying to provide a similar product and a great price.

I agree. Tell me if I get this right. You have to book a cabin that you don't necessarily want (say a balcony) so that when it's closer to the cruise date you can bid on a suite. If your bid isn't accepted you have to either go higher or stay in your balcony.

This review is outstanding!

I’m hoping the Seaside will address most of the issues you encountered on the Divina regarding chairs and shade.

We typically sail in the Haven Spa Suites.

I’m hoping the spa on Seaside will be really nice compared the the Getaway and Escape.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your comments. I am also looking forward to my cruise on Seaside.

While we LOVED our Forward Facing Penthouse, we subsequently sailed numerous times in the Spa Suites. The included spa passes for the same amount paid are a real deal breaker!

Dr Cocktail, the thermal spa suite being included in our room was amazing!

It looks like that is the case with the YC as well for all suites which is good.

Agnes, I agree. Look for the positive and you will have more fun.

I've read that a lot about the Haven. We've done suites on NCL before the bigger ships came out with the larger Haven, but we just don't want to take the chance on having our cruise experience ruined by out of control kids.

On the Epic POSH is included for suites and adults only and on the newer ships it's possible to pay for VIBE which is adults only so it's possible to escape the children but the courtyard can have lots of children and that can be a problem, I think.

Thanks Dex.

The biggest problem for me with NCL now is the bidding system. People who really want a suite has to book it for an extremely high price while people who don't really care about it can book a balcony cabin and hope for a cheap upgrade. It feels like NCL don't care if I cruise with them or not! Of course I understand that they don't care but I don't like to feel it!

(As a European I can't use the bidding system anyway and that makes me feel even less interesting as a customer for NCL.)

I still consider myself to be "their people" but MSC offer a better product for a lower price right now. The prices for the Yacht Club must go up or MSC are stupid. Right now it feels like they offer too much for a low price!

I still consider myself to be "their people" but MSC offer a better product for a lower price right now. The prices for the Yacht Club must go up or MSC are stupid. Right now it feels like they offer too much for a low price!

The prices for YC have been steadily increasing over the last couple of years, SC. Generally speaking, they tended to be somewhere around the €2100 mark for a YC1 - now, it's more like €2600, though in off-peak you may get it for around €2100 - again, about €500 more than it used to be.

I paid €1250 pp for our first YC outing back in Feb 2012 which included return flights from Dublin to Barcelona - now, that was a very special price!

We both cruised in The Haven as well in the YC. You won't regret choosing the YC.

Although the suites in The Haven are overall better and bigger, the service in the YC is way better than in The Haven. The downside of the Fantasia-class is the restaurant being at the other end of the ship. But this is solved on the new ships. YC is more intimate, personal and a better overall experience.

Thanks Dex.

With the current NCL management they won't listen. It is all about $$$. There was only one thing I can recall being reversed - the taking food back to your room which was banned for a short time probably because they figured they couldn't enforce it other than at places like where you have to order food (e.g. O'Sheehans).

The biggest problem for me with NCL now is the bidding system. People who really want a suite has to book it for an extremely high price while people who don't really care about it can book a balcony cabin and hope for a cheap upgrade. It feels like NCL don't care if I cruise with them or not! Of course I understand that they don't care but I don't like to feel it!

(As a European I can't use the bidding system anyway and that makes me feel even less interesting as a customer for NCL.)

Yeah, NCL has alienated their long time, loyal customers across the board and suite guests being one of the latest groups.

I'm not so sure about the YC pricing - I'd have to do some looking, but MSC is getting 2-3 rooms in the space NCL has some sized suites so the revenue is probably close in some cases.

I'm not so sure about the YC pricing - I'd have to do some looking, but MSC is getting 2-3 rooms in the space NCL has some sized suites so the revenue is probably close in some cases.

NCL have more bigger suites and with 4, or more, people booked in the suites their revenue is lower since the 3rd and 4th passengers pays much less than the first two passengers in every suite. Our problem is that we only pay the high price for the first two passengers and because of that MSC is much cheaper.

If four people are traveling together and need two suites on MSC it's probably cheaper to book one bigger suite on NCL.

I agree. Tell me if I get this right. You have to book a cabin that you don't necessarily want (say a balcony) so that when it's closer to the cruise date you can bid on a suite. If your bid isn't accepted you have to either go higher or stay in your balcony.

Is this truly how the new NCL bidding process works? Wow. - that's crazy. I have noticed that the prices for the Havens are sometimes 2x as much as the YC suite on MSC. Sure hope no other cruise line adopts this new method of "bid-to-sail". It's lousy. :(:(