Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy Cruise Terminal

trbarton

If one is staying in Rome a few days before a cruise what are the options to get to the cruise terminal?

I found a Express train for cruisers. Anyone know if this is still available?

Thanks!

Tom😎

Edited by trbarton

I've always ordered private transportation to pick us up at hotel in Rome and drop us off at cruise terminal. Others have taken train then taxi to port.

If one is staying in Rome a few days before a cruise what are the options to get to the cruise terminal?

I found a Express train for cruisers. Anyone know if this is still available?

Thanks!

Tom😎

It's not an express train for cruisers - the times I have caught it the train was just part of the suburban network. Personally I wouldn't catch it again as you have to lug your bags and then get to the port from the station near Civitavecchia. Try your roll call to see if someone on the same cruise wants to share transport from Rome. We did last time and the 140 Euro cost was divided by 6 which makes it very affordable.

We like the train, but we travel with carry-ons only, so schlepping bags is kept to a minimum.

Depending on time of day, the train can be nearly empty or quite full of passengers. It is basically a commuter train...runs frequently. There may be express trains, but they are infrequent which, for me, means they are inconvenient.

The train I describe takes 1-1 1/2 hours from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia.

We like the train, but we travel with carry-ons only, so schlepping bags is kept to a minimum.

Depending on time of day, the train can be nearly empty or quite full of passengers. It is basically a commuter train...runs frequently. There may be express trains, but they are infrequent which, for me, means they are inconvenient.

The train I describe takes 1-1 1/2 hours from Rome Termini to Civitavecchia.

Great info - Also, There are a few flights of steep stairs to get to the train which is difficult with heavy bags. I need to learn to be like you and only have a carry on - if only I could stop buying stuff when I am there! :D

Hi there:

Just to let you know that both Celebrity and Princess have a city pick-up from the Crown Plaza a few miles past the Vatican. We took a cab over from our hotel - gave them our luggage (we have utilized this service for both lines over the years) and the next time it appeared was in our state room -- No muss; No fuss. We also used them (both) for the return and we put our luggage out the night before and next time we saw it was at the airport to go home. Best money we spent. Considering what is being spent on tour trips -- it was worth every penny. We feel you have to make your life easier over there, as it is not like the USA.:D

Also re: the train - when people got off the train from Rome they had to walk a mile or two (in the hot sun) to the ship, as the little shuttle from the train was overwhelmed, as their were so many ships in port at Citaveccia that day.

Good luck and happy sailing .

Great info - Also, There are a few flights of steep stairs to get to the train which is difficult with heavy bags. I need to learn to be like you and only have a carry on - if only I could stop buying stuff when I am there! :D

Lori - We travel with steamer trunks...:D Just our toiletries are 15 lbs. LOL

We are thinking of using a shared shuttle to the port the next time we cruise from Rome.

https://www.fiumicinoshuttleexpress.com/shuttle_cruise_lines/

70 euros for 2 people.

Daisyloo - Great idea; always check out reviews on Trip Advisor first.

I've done this a few times and highly recommend hiring a private car to transport you from a Rome hotel to the port. You will get door to door service as private cars are able to drive almost right up to the ship. If you take the train, you will have to either walk or take a taxi to the port entrance, then hope to catch a packed shuttle. The port area is very large and the cruise ships are located a distance from the port entry.

We have also stayed in a local (Civitavecchia) hotel the night before. Avoids the anxiety of missing the ship's departure if a transportation snafu occurs. I'm told that the Italian train system is subject to wildcat strikes that have shut down the rail transport system without notice. Of course this is probably rare, but didn't want to take any chance because it is a long (about 1.5 hr) trip from Rome to the port.

We've had great luck booking a van with Rome in Limo or Rome Cabs then asking others on our roll call if they're interested in sharing. Usually we're able to fill the van with just people at our hotel. We get the cruise party started on the drive to Civitavecchia.

Oh PLEASE don't give me any ideas... :')

Lori - We try to pack conservatively -- but that never happens when you go for three weeks. On one cruise a group of us even bought a horse (which you could bring to the MDR to show off before the BIG race). She had a place at the table -- our horse did not win the BIG race, but did win for Best Dressed Horse. LOL:D It pays to pack a few extra things...